“Outstanding!”

Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
Davao City, Philippines
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Since we booked our wedding reception here we might have received special treatment, but the junior suite was beautiful, so well designed and decorated, clean with all the comforts and 2 CR's one was huge! We understand the room had recently been redone, and it was very fresh. All the food was great, service top rate. The two limos available are simply amazing.

Room Tip: If you can do one of the newly redone junior suites i don't think you will be disappointed.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SoJazzy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Makati, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed with a friend who had arranged the accommodations. As our flight was very early, we arrived at the hotel around 9AM, a far cry from the standard check in time of 2PM. We had resigned ourselves to waiting at the lobby for hours, when the front desk manager informed us that they would place us in a different room for the meantime while they got our reserved room ready.

This was quite a pleasant surprise. I always thought this treatment was reserved for guests who are deemed loyal and 'worthy' by hotels and not first-timers. In fact, by 11am, we were able to move into our 'original room.

There are two wings: while we were waiting, they gave us a room in the newer wing, but later transferred us to the older one. you may wish to request for a room in the newer ring if you are picky, but the reception and restaurant are in the old wing, and you may not fancy a little walk to get to those places. (I am not a fussy traveler: as long as I have a clean bed with working ventilation, I'm good to go.)

The front desk staff, wait staff, porters, everyone was friendly and put me in a good mood. It's true that the hotel needs updating, especially since they are located so close to Marco Polo Hotel, so comparisons will be inevitable. Minus for me was the spotty WiFi that would come in and out. If you need better WiFi, go to the lobby OK instead.

Buffet breakfast was included in our room and would serve to fill you up for the day. They had around 5 to 6 viands, various breads (including durian bread), congee, egg and fruit stations, two juices and cereals for those who prefer them. It was more than sufficient.

We opted to take the hotel service to the airport since it was raining on our last day. It only cost us 100 Philippine Pesos per head and we would have roughly paid the same if we took a taxi, and we got to ride in a spacious van with a good driver.

The thing that stays with you is how well you were treated, and for that, no one can ever say anything but good things about The Royal Mandaya Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new wing if available, if you like more modern surroundings.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

i stay here 2 days, even room not that luxury, it is clean and comfortable., friendly staff, and good break fast and dinner,not much activities, only they told me attractions there when i check out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

The Roayal Mandaya lies in the centre of Davao city. It is one of the older hotels. The lobby looks welcoming and fresh. The personnel at the reception is polite and forthcoming.
The room in the 7th floor was clean, but already worn out and lacks renovation, especially the bath room. The room is equipped with a flat screen TV and a water kettle but no safety box.. Internet is free of charge but I did not work during my stay .Actually I was told by other guests is hardly works at all. There are apparently some newly remodelled rooms,
In the lobby restaurant is a diner buffet served, but due a lack of guests, it seemed that many of the items were already not for the first time on the buffet. I thought to order a Club sandwich was a safer bet. It arrived after 30 minutes with cold and stale fries. The breakfast buffet was OK, except that the warm breakfast items were already too much time under the food warmers. Near the swimming pool is a bar where a band plays extremely loud music until late. Rooms giving onto the pool are to be avoided because of the noise.
In walking distance are some fast food joints, but no real restaurants. Just opposite and next to the hotel are some bars of doubtful reputation.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Riesst
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Hotel has a very good location. There's a renovated wing and a non-renovated wing. The non-renovated wing was still okay however wifi signal was not very good. Customer service was excellent. The staff were very accommodating.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have been to Royal Mandaya five times this year alone. It’s practically my home in Davao. After checking out numerous hotels in the area, I settled down in Mandaya. First, because I simply love the buffet breakfast. Second, hotel transfer is so cheap (just P100 one way); third, it gives out a comfortable vibe for such a big hotel; fourth, the staff are so nice; and fifth, it’s located near banks and restaurants.

I always choose the new wing because it’s near the lobby and wifi is good. My recent visit, however, had me staying at the renovated wing where the de luxe rooms are located (they upgraded me coz the hotel was fully booked). I was surprised to find it very lovely especially the hallway with its girlish color. The room also has richer and nicer décor though not much bigger than the standard one. The bathroom has a bathtub and has the usual toiletries including disposable slippers. Unfortunately, wifi was non-existent and water was lukewarm at most.

But again, although the hotel staff are very nice, they need to learn to be thorough in their computations. There were already a couple of times when they forgot to include the transfer cost in my bill that I had to constantly remind them about it to avoid the hassle. This time, though, I almost lost my patience. I had booked a couple of rooms for our team so I settled the payment as early as 9 am. We finished at almost 9:30 am. By 12:15 pm, we were ready to leave. I was already in the van when I was called back simply because they forgot to include one of the rooms in the charges! I was really so pissed since we had a plane to catch and the delay might cost us our flight. They were apologetic but such things could have been avoided through proper training.

Anyway, despite that not-so-good experience, Mandaya still remains my favorite hotel in Davao and I will be back there for sure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

The staff here was great! I really appreciated the service. Rooms were fair and had hot water pot. Fairly clean also. No safes in room.

The breakfast was ok, better than the Grand Mem Sing hotel that I stayed at a few weeks ago,

This was ok for a budget offering.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business