“friendly staff, and good food”

The Royal Mandaya Hotel
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“friendly staff, and good food”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

i stay here 2 days, even room not that luxury, it is clean and comfortable., friendly staff, and good break fast and dinner,not much activities, only they told me attractions there when i check out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The Roayal Mandaya lies in the centre of Davao city. It is one of the older hotels. The lobby looks welcoming and fresh. The personnel at the reception is polite and forthcoming.
The room in the 7th floor was clean, but already worn out and lacks renovation, especially the bath room. The room is equipped with a flat screen TV and a water kettle but no safety box.. Internet is free of charge but I did not work during my stay .Actually I was told by other guests is hardly works at all. There are apparently some newly remodelled rooms,
In the lobby restaurant is a diner buffet served, but due a lack of guests, it seemed that many of the items were already not for the first time on the buffet. I thought to order a Club sandwich was a safer bet. It arrived after 30 minutes with cold and stale fries. The breakfast buffet was OK, except that the warm breakfast items were already too much time under the food warmers. Near the swimming pool is a bar where a band plays extremely loud music until late. Rooms giving onto the pool are to be avoided because of the noise.
In walking distance are some fast food joints, but no real restaurants. Just opposite and next to the hotel are some bars of doubtful reputation.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Riesst
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Hotel has a very good location. There's a renovated wing and a non-renovated wing. The non-renovated wing was still okay however wifi signal was not very good. Customer service was excellent. The staff were very accommodating.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
manila
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have been to Royal Mandaya five times this year alone. It’s practically my home in Davao. After checking out numerous hotels in the area, I settled down in Mandaya. First, because I simply love the buffet breakfast. Second, hotel transfer is so cheap (just P100 one way); third, it gives out a comfortable vibe for such a big hotel; fourth, the staff are so nice; and fifth, it’s located near banks and restaurants.

I always choose the new wing because it’s near the lobby and wifi is good. My recent visit, however, had me staying at the renovated wing where the de luxe rooms are located (they upgraded me coz the hotel was fully booked). I was surprised to find it very lovely especially the hallway with its girlish color. The room also has richer and nicer décor though not much bigger than the standard one. The bathroom has a bathtub and has the usual toiletries including disposable slippers. Unfortunately, wifi was non-existent and water was lukewarm at most.

But again, although the hotel staff are very nice, they need to learn to be thorough in their computations. There were already a couple of times when they forgot to include the transfer cost in my bill that I had to constantly remind them about it to avoid the hassle. This time, though, I almost lost my patience. I had booked a couple of rooms for our team so I settled the payment as early as 9 am. We finished at almost 9:30 am. By 12:15 pm, we were ready to leave. I was already in the van when I was called back simply because they forgot to include one of the rooms in the charges! I was really so pissed since we had a plane to catch and the delay might cost us our flight. They were apologetic but such things could have been avoided through proper training.

Anyway, despite that not-so-good experience, Mandaya still remains my favorite hotel in Davao and I will be back there for sure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
USA
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The staff here was great! I really appreciated the service. Rooms were fair and had hot water pot. Fairly clean also. No safes in room.

The breakfast was ok, better than the Grand Mem Sing hotel that I stayed at a few weeks ago,

This was ok for a budget offering.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Muntinlupa, Philippines
Reviewed October 22, 2012

we arrived at davao mid-day and checking in was a breeze. took a nap and spent the rest of the day by the pool...chilling and while sipping wine with durian and cheese.
everything was within the city limits..the mall, the beach and good friends.
everything about davao, day tours and all are all available at the concierge desk..and the rest of our stay at the hotel? Excellent! ^^

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GourmetGabe
SPRINGFIELD
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Attentive personnel made me want to like this hotel. Location was close to a meeting but nothing else. Breakfast buffet was fair, other meal took 45 minutes to receive and quality for price was not good. Room was clean, but fluorescent bulbs flickered rather than went off. Almost good but price was too much for what we received.

• Stayed October 2012