“Renovated wing is really nice”

The Royal Mandaya Hotel
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
manila
“Renovated wing is really nice”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have been to Royal Mandaya five times this year alone. It’s practically my home in Davao. After checking out numerous hotels in the area, I settled down in Mandaya. First, because I simply love the buffet breakfast. Second, hotel transfer is so cheap (just P100 one way); third, it gives out a comfortable vibe for such a big hotel; fourth, the staff are so nice; and fifth, it’s located near banks and restaurants.

I always choose the new wing because it’s near the lobby and wifi is good. My recent visit, however, had me staying at the renovated wing where the de luxe rooms are located (they upgraded me coz the hotel was fully booked). I was surprised to find it very lovely especially the hallway with its girlish color. The room also has richer and nicer décor though not much bigger than the standard one. The bathroom has a bathtub and has the usual toiletries including disposable slippers. Unfortunately, wifi was non-existent and water was lukewarm at most.

But again, although the hotel staff are very nice, they need to learn to be thorough in their computations. There were already a couple of times when they forgot to include the transfer cost in my bill that I had to constantly remind them about it to avoid the hassle. This time, though, I almost lost my patience. I had booked a couple of rooms for our team so I settled the payment as early as 9 am. We finished at almost 9:30 am. By 12:15 pm, we were ready to leave. I was already in the van when I was called back simply because they forgot to include one of the rooms in the charges! I was really so pissed since we had a plane to catch and the delay might cost us our flight. They were apologetic but such things could have been avoided through proper training.

Anyway, despite that not-so-good experience, Mandaya still remains my favorite hotel in Davao and I will be back there for sure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
USA
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The staff here was great! I really appreciated the service. Rooms were fair and had hot water pot. Fairly clean also. No safes in room.

The breakfast was ok, better than the Grand Mem Sing hotel that I stayed at a few weeks ago,

This was ok for a budget offering.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Muntinlupa, Philippines
Reviewed October 22, 2012

we arrived at davao mid-day and checking in was a breeze. took a nap and spent the rest of the day by the pool...chilling and while sipping wine with durian and cheese.
everything was within the city limits..the mall, the beach and good friends.
everything about davao, day tours and all are all available at the concierge desk..and the rest of our stay at the hotel? Excellent! ^^

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GourmetGabe
SPRINGFIELD
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Attentive personnel made me want to like this hotel. Location was close to a meeting but nothing else. Breakfast buffet was fair, other meal took 45 minutes to receive and quality for price was not good. Room was clean, but fluorescent bulbs flickered rather than went off. Almost good but price was too much for what we received.

• Stayed October 2012
Manila
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed in Mandaya, a good and cheaper alternative to Marco Polo which I understand raised its prices recently.

The room was good but shows signs of age despite the renovation. Still, it has good, comfy bed and pillows. The amenities are complete - ref, led tv with cable, with complimentary drinking water & instant coffee. The bathroom was also nice, with reliable hot & cold water. There is also free buffet breakfast. Wifi in the room is erratic, its more reliable in the hotel lobby.

Food at the coffee shop was also good, I enjoyed the breads a lot! Service was very good, the people here are well trained.

Location is likewise very good, walking distance from most banks and Marco Polo, Aldevinco.

All in all, a great alternative for business travelers who are looking at an alternative to Marco Polo.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mike321ph
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The Royal Mandaya Hotel is a 5-minute walk away from the more five-star Marco Polo Hotel in Davao, but its price is definitely more persuasive. Guest services are okay, but all hats off to the bellboys/van transfer drivers. Those guys are courteous and friendly, while doing jobs typically held by 2 guys.

The hotel's showing its age, especially in its rooms, although I read somewhere it had some renovations done a few years ago. There's little to no noise barrier between one's room and the hallway, so any reveling guests who carouse and shout along the residential hallways are going to be the bane of sleeping guests' lives. Good thing the hotel staff respond quickly to these types of complaints.

There are several guest/room amenities that should be staples in business hotels like Mandaya, but are not normally available in their rooms, unless requested for: slippers, hair dryer, iron, and ironing board.

Request specifically for Superior rooms with twin beds if you're staying with someone you're not close to or intimate with, or else the hotel will give you a room with a double bed.

The dinner buffet was affordable - came at a very reasonable price, in fact. Try it!

Room Tip: If you're staying at their Superior room: Request specifically for Superior rooms with twin beds...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Prior to staying here, I read good reviews, so we booked here to attend the Kadayawan 2012 Festival and visit the neighboring provinces. It is one of the more expensive hotels in the area and so, we had high expectations. First frustration came when we found out that wi-fi can't be accessed on the 7th floor, where we had our room. Our reservation indicated 2 guests and there was only 1 bath towel and 1 face towel when we arrived. Also, there was no hair dryer. Our original booking was for Aug. 17-20 and Aug. 24-26 (another story) thru Agoda.com. We had to extend our stay fro, the 20th thru the 22nd and had to pay nearly double of what we paid agoda.com (even though Kadayawan Festival is already over), even though I was told that they'll make it the same rate as what we paid agoda.com if don't go thru agoda (P2,600+/night) -- they charged us P4000/night for the extra days (total of P12K for 3 days). Upon returning from Surigao del Sur, we returned to the hotel (we had paid reservations Aug. 24-26) and repeatedly told them that we want a room with wi-fi access. We were told that the new room will definitely have wi-fi access, even though it's on the same floor we were in before (7th). We also told them that they never delivered the promised hair-dryer. Sure enough, when we went to the assigned room, the A/C wasn't working. They transferred us to another room on the same floor -- no wi-fi access and there was a hair dryer, but it wasn't working.

Lesson learned: Never again to stay in Royal Mandaya next time we're in Davao City!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay at Royal Mandaya Hotel at all.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple