“A Heritage of Hospitality”
Review of Apo View Hotel

Apo View Hotel
Ranked #46 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Recently visited the Philippines for the summer with my family, and Davao as usual, was part of our destination. I trace my roots in Davao, having studied and worked in the city until migrating with my family to the USA in the late '90s.
The hotel's character and ambiance has not been changed by the passing of the years. The feeling of warmth and hospitality that pervades the atmosphere is palpable wherever you go. The staff members, from the front desk personnel, to the outlet servers, to the housekeeping staff always render excellent service.
The hotel cuisine is exceptional, giving one a taste of continental and regional dishes in their daily buffet. Meeting old friends for drinks at their Blue Room has provided another memorable trip down memory lane!.
Apo View Hotel: We will see you again next year!!!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the swimming pool from the 6th Floor and up are the best ones.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Location: 4/5
The hotel is located right smack in the center of the downton Davao. It is right next to People's Park, the Pasalubong Center, a 2-minute walk to a nearby Gaisano Mall and 10 minutes to San Pedro Church and City Hall. Lots of banks and cheap eating places nearby.

Check-in: 3/5
This can take a while, as there can be a lot of people checking in. This is a busy hotel, a favorite of conventioneers and wedding entourages. Staff is friendly although a bit dry. For a big hotel, the counter is quite cramped.

Room: 3/5
I've stayed here several times, and have tried different rooms. The superior is comfortable enough, with large beds and firm pillows, adequate closet space. TV is a rather old CRT screen. So far, I've never had an Apo view from the windows of the rooms I've stayed in. Wifi is available, but very very weak, and is utterly useless. There's not a lot of sockets that you can use for your gadgets. Had to charge my phone from the bathroom!

Bathroom: 3/5
Bathroom is clean, but looks rather dated. They have a bathtub, but the tiles around it have some mold action going on.

Breakfast: 5/5
They have one of the most extensive breakfast buffet line-ups among all hotels in Davao. Definitely filling, and the variety will keep you looking forward to breakfast even if you stay for more than 2 days.

Facilities: 2/5
I've tried the convention hall and conference rooms for a huge event we've organized. This is where my greatest gripe is. The events staff are not well-coordinated, and tend to forget a lots of things that they are supposed to do. Serving food promptly to participants was a big problem, and they tend to sneak in a lot of extra charges. Overall, a bad experience for us. Swimming pool is old, with lots of missing tiles. The pool area is bare, with almost no lounge chairs. Not enticing. It is in the facilities where you can really feel the age of the hotel.

Overall: 3/5
This place needs a lot of updating. It's an aging matriarch of the Davao city hospitality industry. There's an old world 70's feel when you're inside, which can be comforting. But if you expect the modcons of a 21st Century hotel, it's lacking here. Convenient location, and close to restaurants and areas of interest. They have to really, really work on their convention facilities and logistics.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We check-in 11pm and was lucky its on a weekend promo (php1100/pax). Booked the deluxe room with overlooking view. Its big, comfortable and nice bed complete with toiletries. I like the buffet breakfast :-) its worth to check-in here if there's promo otherwise its directly php3100 for the room with complimentary breakfast for 2. Swimming pool is ok.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I spent my last two days in Davao at Apo View and, as they say, 'saved the best to last'.

I'd checked out of my budget hotel, leaving my bags in their storage room, and took a trip to Samal Island for the day, returning to collect my bags and make my way to Apo View. I felt distinctly under-dressed in my shorts and vest top, but was greeted and treated in the same manner afforded to guests arriving in more suitable attire, more fitting for such a grand dame as Apo View.

Apo View is the oldest hotel in Davao, and the 2nd oldest hotel in the whole of the Philippines; it retains its classical style and features, whilst integrating the modern amenities that guests today require.

I was booked in to a Deluxe Twin on the 4th floor, with views over the swimming pool on the 3rd floor. The room decor is that of crisp white linens, lovely pillows and wonderfully thick and fluffy towels (which can be purchased ... along with anything in the room, including the TV remote control), wood laminate floors, and dark wood furniture. The air-con was a dream to work and enabled a comfortable sleep which was not interrupted by being too hot or too cold.

A refrigerator in the room is stocked with a range of soft drinks and water, but the hotel is also just a five minute walk from a local mall, with a supermarket. There are cups and saucers, glasses and a kettle, so you can make yourself a coffee on waking.

There is a cafe, a restaurant, room service and a lovely courtyard garden, with a small area for smokers (if you have a serious addiction to nicotine you are going to find your trip to Davao difficult, as the anti-smoking laws are strict and there are limited smoking areas assigned to malls, hotels etc)

Apo View has class and elegance and was a joy to stay at.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Trudy A
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Apo View -- the pillows were exactly how I like them: big, very white, and fluffy. It's these little things that count. The blankets were a bit scratchy though and the tv reception was staticky. If you plan to spend a lot of time in your room I would recommend a different hotel. However, if you need to work, this is the best place. The wifi was great, the desk spacious, and the lighting was perfect for pulling an all-nighter to tweak a presentation. I was able to finish a lot of work in my room. I also enjoyed the little garden with the waterfalls for my self-imposed mini breaks.

Check-in was a breeze and the front desk staff were very helpful. The hotel only offers in-room massages so when I asked the front desk where I can get a more extensive spa package, they directed me to the salon/spa next door. Fantastic! It was also right beside the Pasalubong Center, People's Park, and Dencia's of Davao. I got to see and do a lot of stuff thanks to the great location.

Room Tip: if you want a view of the pool get third floor rooms with even numbers
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We had a training here in Apo View and although we had a limited budget, they were able to accomodate us. The rooms are clean and carpeted. The housekeeping staff clean it everyday. Rates are quite expensiven for the average Filipino but we were able to negotiate good and affordable rates. The swimming pool
is free for use of guests but it needs to
be cleaned and there should be a lifeguard on duty. Apart from this minor concerns, I am generally happy with my one week stay at Apo View Hotel. It is one of the best hotels in Davao and would definitely recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The good: excellent customer service, nice grounds (small garden with waterfall), and a casino (I'm not a gambler, but my cousin is -- and luckily found the slots were loose). The buffet downstairs was EXCELLENT with matching service. Unlike previous reviews, we did not experience bad wifi. The only (even slightly) negative thing I have to say about this hotel is the decor of the rooms. Kinda retro with the red carpet and two single beds as opposed to two full beds. I would stay at this hotel again when in Davao City.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family