“Its a Marco Polo”
Review of Marco Polo Davao

Marco Polo Davao
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is a good quality hotel. Security and staff are good. Just doesn't quite rate the prices charged. The hotel lobby and surrounds are nice and the pool area is good. Pool is quite shallow with no signs of the depth. Could be dangerous. I thought the food and beverage prices were excessive for the Philippines

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RossH667

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I've stayed there 3 or 4 times over the last two years when in Davao .. Always a first class experience at a moderate price by American standards. From the time you arrive until you check out you know that you're somewhere special where the staff really cares about your well being as their guest.

When in Davao please consider staying at the Marco Polo. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shamrockbuddy
Reviewed December 11, 2013

With all the fuzz with Marco Polo being a popular hotel chain, I expected a lot more from it.

I stayed in the hotel on August 2011 I think (and not really August 2013) with my husband. We were availing of the free (or discounted) accomodation from the loyatly card.

Everything was running smoothly with a friendly staff in the reception and all. Then here comes the room. I jumped immediately to the bed and looked for the tv remote. And really I was disappointed. The bed seems to be old. We can feel the spring on our body and the TV are still the tube ones. I would have forgiven the old tv model if the reception was great. The reception was just terrible. It is like static all over.

I am not sure if it is because our stay is for "free" but again the room should be in good.

On the other hand, food is okay but could be better. Haven't had the chance to explore the hotel for we only stayed over night. I just hope everything is at par with their prestige in the hotel industry.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zayki
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This property is the only 4 star hotel in the city. So priced accordingly. The staff is very nice, security is excellent and the pool and gym are par for the course. However, for the price, not really up to snuff.

The rooms I stayed in could use a refurb - worn furniture - mothball smell in the closet, stained carpet and blanket. The one coffee and cake I had in the lounge were not very good and about 4 times the price outside or 2 times Starbucks. When I got the bill, they had added 20% to it in hotel fees - not posted on the price. So pretty shady when it comes to pricing. Everything is at least 50% higher than other hotels.

My issue is not the price - it is the hidden fees and lack of quality for what you get. I had to spend several hours getting the Internet working properly. Now, as hotels go, they have better internet than most - and had an onsite IT person who was able to address the issues. Had I not got on their case, they would have provided a basic dial up service level.

Again, the coffee at the lounge was very low end. Note to travelers - I do not know why, but coffee (just the beans) are both expensive and low grade throughout the country. BUT - when you charge $5.00 per cup for coffee, it had better be good coffee. By comparison Starbucks is about $3 for the same drink and very high quality. (Sorry, Seattle coffee snob - and as such know what cheep instant coffee in an espresso drink tastes likes)

If you are travelling here on business, there are very few choices - APO View, and some international brands. The costs are similar, so this is more "bang for the buck" in general. I'll try out the APO View, next.

Lastly- the staff is really friendly. Very nice, as are most folks in Davao. My suggestion, if something is not right - ask them to fix it. However, be prepared to wait, as no one has the direct authority to do anything.

ENJOY!

Paul

Room Tip: Get a view of Mount Apo or the water.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Spudwumper
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed in this hotel while meeting my old university dorm mates. 3 of us stayed in the hotel. I booked through agoda.

Check in was not fast. They did not accept an email confirmation that i showed on my tablet. They asked me to print the voucher which was a bad experience for me. Although they allowed me to use their biz center to print for free, i did not enjoy the free experience.

Over-all, it was good!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Narellano
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Marco Polo is the top quality hotel in the city that I would recommend to anyone. Excellent service from staff that always goes above and beyond my needs. I can't say THANK YOU enough specially to Eunice and Glenda. The hotel has the TOP breakfast buffet in the city, spacious and well-equipped gym and the BEST bang for the buck continental club floor in the Marco Polo brand. See you soon Marco Polo Davao!!!!

Room Tip: For families w/ kids try and get Cabana room terrace near the pool area.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Al C
Reviewed November 8, 2013

During our 4-night stay in Marco Polo, I and my friends found not a single thing to complain about. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The beds (including the extra bed that we got) were very comfortable. The rooms are clean. The location is great... souvenir shops, church, and mall are within walking distance.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ACTIVITIES
1. Night Swimming: A relaxing dip in their pool (depth: 3-5feet) is a great way to end your day.

2. Enjoy videoke/karaoke (singing) and a drink or two at Eagles Bar.
Videoke/Karaoke.... what to do: Ask their waiter for a songbook, a paper and a pen. Once you have the songbook, search for the song titles that you want to sing, write their corresponding codes on the paper, give the paper to the waiter, wait for your song, grab a mic and sing when your songs are played. The bar offers a wide range of liquors and cocktails.

3. Keep yourself fit. Fitness buffs will be happy to know that the hotel gym is well-equipped and that all guests are welcome to join their aerobic classes at no extra cost.

4. Don't miss their SUMPTUOUS breakfast buffet. We really enjoyed filling our tummy with continental and Asian breakfast choices.

Room Tip: Best view: pool view rooms (which also gives you a great view of Mt. Apo - the highest mountain in t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends