“Worst ever” 2 of 5 bubbles

Marco Polo Davao
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
“Worst ever”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Service is very poor... we had an event last week at the ballroom. Waitersare sooooo stupid. They dont know what to do. Spoon and fork are so dirty glasses has sopt and hand print i saw one waiter hols the rim of the glass. One of the waiters sleeves get into the food he is serving. Waitees are particular with the tipping that they wilk get from the guest. I had a friend who stay in the hotel and ask the vallet parkerto park his car later he found out that his romeo oakley got lost...

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Muntinlupa, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed at the Presidential Suite of Marco Polo for 3 days to attend the famous Kadayawan Festival. I was booking this suite last year but the Kadayawan schedule was erratic and I ended up losing the suite. I knew it had 2 levels, 2 bedrooms, and indoor and outdoor jacuzzis.

The outdoor jacuzzi is gone and in its place is an outdoor bar. The second bedroom, to my surprise, is not part of the rate quoted. I had always assumed it is part of the rate like the presidential suite of the other hotel I stayed in last year. I did not take the second room even when offered at a discount. I felt it was their fault not saying so at the onset. No point arguing, I am not a difficult guest.

The jacuzzi wouldn't work, and a crew came in the day after to fix it. The phones would not connect to Housekeeping nor to Concierge, and I had to call operator to connect to anybody. The crew came again to fix the phones. I was belatedly told the room was renovated and I was the first occupant of the renovated suite. Oh well.

In spite of these hiccups, note I am rating the hotel VERY GOOD. That is because management officials have acted on everything with dispatch. And they have accommodated my other requests - - - like a spot for me and my friends at the VIP stage reserved for hotel guests at a vantage point near the parade. Plus the fact that the suite is clean and wide and beautiful. I also had a perfect view of the sea and Samal Island.

Buffet breakfast has a good spread. The lobby lounge, while small, is cozy and comfortable. A good stop-over point.

The Marco Polo Lounge at the 17th floor offers a fantastic view and offered cocktails and aperitifs until after sunset. Great service, too.

I commend the staff of the hotel. In the heat of the Kadayawan with I assume a 100% occupancy, there was no lag in service. I will be back.

And I will not have qualms about recommending this hotel (if you do not mind the bodysearch on all guests as you enter).

Room Tip: Get a sea view room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Angelito P
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

well it's a bit more expensive compared to other hotels so i am expecting a lot from them. overall i had a nice, comfortable stay in marco polo. there's only one downside for us, the concierge lost 3 of our bags and that was unacceptable for such an expensive 4-star hotel and thankfully it was returned to us as soon as we came back from our activities in the city. however, the other personnel who attended to us were very courteous, friendly & accommodating. i even had a fun last night at the eagles bar at the ground floor. the bartenders were really accommodating & fun to talk to. knowing that we were the only young people inside the bar, they even played electrohouse music especially for us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank igga200
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Marco Polo. I also appreciated that they offered me a GHA membership for free which entitled me to free wifi for the rest of my stay. The bed linens were great and the pillows were super fluffy. I liked how the a/c was cold and easy to use. No awkward fiddling with a battery-less remote here!

The food was fantastic -- they put a special twist on old favorites. The bartenders at the poolside lounge were such darlings. I was having a pretty crappy day and just to make myself feel better, I asked to be served an amaretto sour in time to this song I requested: AWOLNATION's "Sail." They did it! They managed to pull it off! It really put a smile on my face. This place is a perfect example of a luxurious hotel without the least amount of stuffiness or pretentiousness.

The Lazuli spa was my favorite experience there. I had a scrub and a pedicure... it was heavenly. In fact, my spa experience was so fantastic I still find myself thinking about going back to Davao just to relax out there.

I also appreciated the fact that the manager called me up the day I returned to Manila to ask about my stay. I told her I had a wonderful time and would definitely go back next time I'm in Davao.

Room Tip: don't pick rooms from the same floor where the spa/gym/lounge is.. it gets too crowded along the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Patty M
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had a fantastic stay here on our long holidays. The property is stunning and the service is beyond 5 star. Their attention to detail is truly impressive without being pretentious or uncomfortable. Overall this is one of the best hotel I have ever stayed in and it was a fantastic experience. If you are thinking of staying here, you should.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yakovodka
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Have just spent approx 3 weeks in Marco Polo having first stayed at the hotel in 2003. It is our first choice when in Davao and 5 years since our last visit as we are based in London. During that time the restaurant has been refurbished and the rooms are in the process of being refurbished/upgraded. The Marco Polo is the elder statesman of hotels in Davao. Very relaxed atmosphere. Staff are exceptionally friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Great pool out the back. Best located hotel in town. Thank you again for another fantastic stay. If you are in Davao for the first time stay here. Perfect for families,leisure or business.

Room Tip: All rooms good - rooms to front have a view over city and Gulf - rooms to back have a view over city...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bill L
London England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

The Marco Polo Hotel in Davao City centre is an excellent hotel. It is clean and well run with comfortable rooms and various resturants within the hotel providing a variety of choice for whatever the guest would like to eat. The staff are friendly and professional, there is a really good swimming pool, and although the hotel is not inexpensive, I think it provides very good value for money. The only down side is that it is situated in the city centre, a long way from the beaches or other tourist attractions. The Marco Polo Davao is very comfortable, and is highly recommended, particularly for people with business in Davao City.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple