“Lobby Lounge Disappointment”

Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
Davao
“Lobby Lounge Disappointment”
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I tried theafternoon snack buffet during our stay. One word: MINIMALIST! Minimal choices; besides the minute little desserts and the unappetizing ham sandwich with mayo, they had pancit that was bland, empanaditas that were so so, the chicken though was good tasting but was minimalist in serving. we were there at around 4pm, once the plate of chicken was empty it remained empty until we left. Halo halo should be with fine ice shavings, not with ice cubes that could break ones teeth, the strawberry ice cream that went with it was great tasting though. I would have been kinder with my review if their services was at least average since the merienda buffet was a freebie with the room accommodations that we had, there was no spoon and fork on the buffet table and it took forever for them to arrive after we asked for them from the waitress. We had to eat our halo halo with a tablespoon since the waitress said they do not have any dessert spoons available, at least it allowed us to smash the ice cubes smaller and also allow us to finish our halo halo faster and leave the place earlier -- in a carinderia this may pass, but in a 5 star hotel this is really crazy! Good thing they had a live piano player who was good, and an employee who is a good friend of mine, and for them I give this place at least two stars!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rexoy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Calamba, Philippines
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I've enjoyed my stay at Marco Polo.. very good accommodation ;-)plus for a fact that it was located in front of souvenir shops. I love their lobby, very spacious and relaxing. I would love to stay in Marco Polo hotels in different cities.

• Stayed June 2012
San Diego
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Brothel or Hotel? The Marco Polo Davao needs to decide which it is. My wife and I recently spent 18 days at the Marco Polo. We were very pleased with the hotel facilities and staff. In many ways the Marco Polo is the first class hotel it claims to be. But the hotel has accommodated the rampant matchmaking and sex tourism industries of the Philippines. As a result the hotel is anything but family friendly. Everywhere there are men interacting with women who are clearly paid for their services like the five women boisterously frolicking in the pool with two Caucasian men, another Caucasian man slapping a scantily clad woman’s derriere in the hallway and a Swedish man in the elevator who openly expressed his enjoyment of sex tourism while in Davao.
My wife and I discussed our concerns regarding the exploitation of women at the hotel with Anthony Tan, the new General Manager and he told us he is aware of the situation and will try to take steps to move the matchmaking activities off site and minimize the presence of prostitutes in the Marco Polo Davao. We suggested that a statement opposing sex trafficking be posted in the hotel as is often done in other Asian countries. We certainly won’t return to the Marco Polo Hotel unless we know that they support the respectful treatment of women. Until that time, I would recommend other families to be very cautious about staying at the Marco Polo as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
17 Thank SoCalMember
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Everything was perfect!! They had a van waiting for us at the airport and wisked us off promptly to the hotel. Upon arrival I was greeted outside and our bags were taken immediately. when entering I was patted down by security, and I was impressed and felt very safe ever since. Check in took no more than 5 minutes! They had my reservation and all was in order! We had a beautiful room on the 4th floor and it was very clean and stocked with everything we needed! We had room service for dinner and it arrive within 30 minutes and was delicious! The next morning we at at the breakfast buffet,,,and what can I say...I was impressed! First time in the Philippines and I tasted many of the numerous native dishes on the buffet. It was huge, tasty, and plentiful! Check out was a breeze and they had a driver waiting for us to take us to the wharf for our next destination. We have no complaints at all, and were very happy that we chose Marco Polo! We will be back! Dave and Angie

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DaveL578
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for about 6 days. Our room was nice. The Staff was friendly and spoke english pretty well. The Spa was alright. I didn't use the swimming pool because it was either raining or there would only be men ( who seemed to be employees of the hotel rather than customers... who were on lunch break? ) by the pool hanging out so I felt a bit uncomfortable.
We ordered room service one night and the next morning after the housekeepers left our room the food tray (with the left-over food) was still on the table. The also forgot to restock the towels on one of the days. but other than these couple of instances, the service was very good.
We were not there for vacation and didn't really explore the city so I'm not sure how good the location is but other than that, it's a nice hotel to stay at if you're in Davao.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Tarams
Davao City, Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed May 6, 2013

for the price i paid for this hotel i must say its very worth it, the hotel is situated in the center of the city and just minutes from malls and restaurants :) their breakfast buffet is one of the best ive had in hotels.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jimuel R
London
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Arrived for a 3 night stay to be advised the club lounge is being refurbished, but OK ... breakfast in restaurant on 2nd floor, afternoon tea in lobby lounge and evening drinks and snacks in Eagle bar. Had a cabana room which was great with easy access to the pool. All staff were friendly. I think the club staff had been deployed to support the service in the lobby lounge and Eagle bar and were very attentive.

However it definitely was not a club experience at all, the breakfast restaurant is like a zoo with a massive buffet catering for hundreds at a time, not at all relaxing and breakfast soon became for me just a 5 minute ritual to eat and go. The Lobby lounge was OK except it was not quiet nor relaxing at all as the hotel was busy with a load of basketball players staying with their entourages. The Eagle bar is a pub and again not a club experience.

I am 100% sure that in the right surroundings the club staff must be great and it must be a treat to stay there, sadly this was not the case on this trip, I wish I had been pre warned that the club was being refurbished.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends