“My home away from home” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marco Polo Davao

Marco Polo Davao
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
manila
“My home away from home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Marco Polo is my home whenever i take my vacation in Davao City. Although their superior room is small and their bed. I enjoyed their buffet breakfast especially their brewed coffee. Their server is very attentive and accommodating. My only complaint is that for 4 days I've stayed here it is the same variety of food served at their buffet breakfast. Their server is very attentive and friendly. Love coming back to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have just stayed at this hotel for 6 days 5 nights so I feel well qualified to comment on all the details.

It is a 4 star hotel in an excellent location. The Hotel location is excellent being in the City centre and across the road from the Aldevinco Shopping Center. The security outside is consistent, with all bags and persons being checked. Luggage is screened & guests are patted down, often with the security guard moving on to the next guest leaving the first guest without even a thank you or any expression.

The garden area in the front is extremely well designed & landscaped with perfect palm trees and foliage.

Breakfast is served daily between 6am and 10am. The chef will help any guests if you tell them you have a special diet or request. Breakfast was amazing with an excellent variety of food items. Lots of staff on hand to help guests for breakfast. Jonny is very helpful and courteous.

Wifi charge is extremely high. If you are a GHA member then Wifi is free for the duration of your stay.

The bathroom amenities are not refreshed with any consistency. Perhaps this was just the cleaner on my floor number 12. The bathroom has no bathrobes, no bathroom weighing scales, & no nail filer.

The bedroom is small but has a high ceiling giving it a large feel. Lighting is slightly on the dark side. The beds are large and comfortable. The bed sheets are only changed every 2 days unless you specifically tell the room cleaner otherwise.

The corporate rates my local company was offered were worse that the rates I found online, hardly any use to go corporate.

Renovation is still ongoing at the hotel with floors 15 and 16 closed off to the public as they are undergoing full renovation. I could still here the noise on floor 12 but it did not bother me at all. I attach the letter that was in my room.

The Check-in staff are not friendly nor welcoming. When I check in I specifically asked to speak to the Duty Manager. I was given to Almira Araullo who is an assistant manager and I asked her if I could have a microwave in my room. She said she will check. She then called my room and yes but there will be a 1500 peso Electricity charge, to which I kindly declined. Previous TA reveiwers report not having been charged for a microwave in their room. I was shocked to be asked for a 1500 peso Electricity charge on top of my room rate. It leaves me with the feeling that MP Davao is trying to extract every last $Dollar out for their guests.

Upon my return I was contacted by Mr Franz Jude Completo the Front Office Manager who asked me for my feedback seeing that I had some concerns. I duly responded however Mr Franz Jude Completo never even bothered to reply. It leaves me wondering why does Mr Franz Jude Completo even contacting me in the first place if he never bothers to reply back to my email.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for a great view and ask for sea facing.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank rm1003
pasig
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is a typical 5 star hotel.

The breakfast was good. The only thing I enjoyed in this hotel.

Although, I am not saying that this is not a nice hotel but due to time constraints, I was not able to enjoy the facilities.

When you stay in a 5 star hotel, at least spend 1 day inside the hotel and enjoy its facilities.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank japs1969
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have been going back to Marco Polo Davao for the past nine years, mostly due to work, and this is the only hotel that comes naturally to mind as my temporary accommodation in Davao. I go to Marco Polo Davao almost every other month and thus, I can really call this hotel, a home away from home.

Rooms have been renovated and carpets and TV sets have been replaced with newer ones. I think Marco Polo must do this as they now have direct competitors - Park Inn Radisson setting up shop at SM while another hotel is being built a Abreeza Mall by Ayala. Marco Polo, though located downtown, has a dearth of restaurants in the surrounding area.

I always look forward to the buffet breakfast offered by the hotel, but I couldn't help notice how they have cut some items in the buffet the past few years - their dimsum counter before (with cold cuts, steamed chicken etc) is now gone, and so are the eggs benedict. Juices remain instant powder juice (orange) and canned (pineapple orange). I really couldn't think why hotels in the Philippines cannot offer real orange juice.

Service is still topnotch although more than a couple of times, I had to call the duty manager as I was not given an upgrade which was a privilege given to me being a GHA Platinum cardholder.

These shortcomings however do not deter me from continuing to do business with them. Their hospitable concierge staff and front desk personnel who know me by name really make a difference and really makes this hotel a home away from home.

Recommended until something more superior comes along.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank cmpfigueroa
Palm Springs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I arrived late at night due to the delay of my flight from Manila and was greeted by a hospitable staff at the registration. I was told that because the hotel was fully booked, they will upgrade me to a suite. I was surprised to be given the presidential suite, perhaps the only room of its kind in the hotel. It has a dining hall, a living room, a bedroom. One restroom down and a big bathroom in the masters bedroom. From the masters bedroom is an access to the lanai with a big jacuzzi and while you are relaxing you can see the view of the surrounding area. A presidential suite is a presidential suite with all its world class amenities. You'll be lucky if you get this room or they upgrade you ( if you arrive late! )

Room Tip: I couldn't ask for a better room that this presidential suite.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Den L
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

My Marco Polo experience started with a flawless shuttle pickup from the Davao Airport. We only had to wait for a few minutes before we all got into the van and off we went! The hotel building is probably the tallest building in the entire city, which I spotted while on the air by the way, and so it towers over the rest of the city. As soon as we arrived, we were then told to go inside and that our bags will follow us after we checked in. As far as the check-in process, it was simple, efficient and came with big smiles from the front desk staff. My room was on the 14th floor facing the Davao Gulf. I loved my room. It was spacious with comfy beds, a sofa chair with table, computer table, fridge, HDTV and a small bathroom stocked with shampoo, soap and earplugs. Earplugs?

Being provided earplugs is where the problems began. I came back to the hotel room after 5pm on that first day and I could hear loud and whining construction noise originating right above from my bed. I waited for half an hour before calling to complain about the noise. The noise stopped. Briefly. Then it started again. The following day, the noise started around 10am but I managed by wearing my headphones listening to music. But taking a nap was not an option for me with headphones on but it was, however, an incentive to step out of the hotel :)

Another problem I experienced was the food quality served in Cafe Marco. While the buffet selection provided Western and Asian food items (Filipino, Chinese and Japanese), the "sausages" were hotdogs, pancakes were pre-made and stacked by the bread bin, orange juice was made from Tang, a powdered orange juice.

There was one last problem. While the hotel staff in general were kind and gracious, one of the cooks and one of the Cafe Marco servers were not. I understand a little Tagalog and I overhead the cook made fun of my request for a special omelet readily known in the US. I also overhead one of the servers put me down when I requested a glass of orange juice to be served to my table. I made these requests simply because I wasn't aware that they don't make special omelets nor do they served juice drinks although they do serve coffee and water. You are expected to get the juice orange yourself. I don't have a problem with not getting the special omelet nor getting the juice drink myself but now that I know I won't repeat those mistakes. I just didn't like being made fun of by the hotel staff which was said in a very loud voice. I though those two people acted in an unprofessional manner and did not reflect the 5-star status of the hotel.

My low rating reflected my not-so-good experience with the hotel. Hopefully, management would learn from this review and make the appropriate changes. I really do think the hotel has been coasting on its reputation for so long and the fact that it is the only 5-star hotel in the city.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank MrEdnWilbur
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Positives: Room was amazingly quiet despite being in the heart of Davao; Same with pool located on 4th floor, i.e. traffic sound masked by water fountains; Staff very attentive and friendly except for the servers during bfast buffet; Conveniently located across from the Ateneo U where the chapel offers weekday masses twice daily in addition to Sat. Pm and Sunday morning masses.

Negatives: Breakfast buffet average quality. Mgmt. should head to Radisson Blu Cebu to find out what a world-class b'fast buffet is like. Hotel does not have any good upscale shopping mall within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors facing the pool but farther away from the CM Recto / Roxas Blvd i...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple