“Nothing great...”
Review of Marco Polo Davao

Marco Polo Davao
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is a typical 5 star hotel.

The breakfast was good. The only thing I enjoyed in this hotel.

Although, I am not saying that this is not a nice hotel but due to time constraints, I was not able to enjoy the facilities.

When you stay in a 5 star hotel, at least spend 1 day inside the hotel and enjoy its facilities.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank japs1969
There are newer reviews for Marco Polo Davao

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have been going back to Marco Polo Davao for the past nine years, mostly due to work, and this is the only hotel that comes naturally to mind as my temporary accommodation in Davao. I go to Marco Polo Davao almost every other month and thus, I can really call this hotel, a home away from home.

Rooms have been renovated and carpets and TV sets have been replaced with newer ones. I think Marco Polo must do this as they now have direct competitors - Park Inn Radisson setting up shop at SM while another hotel is being built a Abreeza Mall by Ayala. Marco Polo, though located downtown, has a dearth of restaurants in the surrounding area.

I always look forward to the buffet breakfast offered by the hotel, but I couldn't help notice how they have cut some items in the buffet the past few years - their dimsum counter before (with cold cuts, steamed chicken etc) is now gone, and so are the eggs benedict. Juices remain instant powder juice (orange) and canned (pineapple orange). I really couldn't think why hotels in the Philippines cannot offer real orange juice.

Service is still topnotch although more than a couple of times, I had to call the duty manager as I was not given an upgrade which was a privilege given to me being a GHA Platinum cardholder.

These shortcomings however do not deter me from continuing to do business with them. Their hospitable concierge staff and front desk personnel who know me by name really make a difference and really makes this hotel a home away from home.

Recommended until something more superior comes along.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank cmpfigueroa
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I arrived late at night due to the delay of my flight from Manila and was greeted by a hospitable staff at the registration. I was told that because the hotel was fully booked, they will upgrade me to a suite. I was surprised to be given the presidential suite, perhaps the only room of its kind in the hotel. It has a dining hall, a living room, a bedroom. One restroom down and a big bathroom in the masters bedroom. From the masters bedroom is an access to the lanai with a big jacuzzi and while you are relaxing you can see the view of the surrounding area. A presidential suite is a presidential suite with all its world class amenities. You'll be lucky if you get this room or they upgrade you ( if you arrive late! )

Room Tip: I couldn't ask for a better room that this presidential suite.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Den L
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My Marco Polo experience started with a flawless shuttle pickup from the Davao Airport. We only had to wait for a few minutes before we all got into the van and off we went! The hotel building is probably the tallest building in the entire city, which I spotted while on the air by the way, and so it towers over the rest of the city. As soon as we arrived, we were then told to go inside and that our bags will follow us after we checked in. As far as the check-in process, it was simple, efficient and came with big smiles from the front desk staff. My room was on the 14th floor facing the Davao Gulf. I loved my room. It was spacious with comfy beds, a sofa chair with table, computer table, fridge, HDTV and a small bathroom stocked with shampoo, soap and earplugs. Earplugs?

Being provided earplugs is where the problems began. I came back to the hotel room after 5pm on that first day and I could hear loud and whining construction noise originating right above from my bed. I waited for half an hour before calling to complain about the noise. The noise stopped. Briefly. Then it started again. The following day, the noise started around 10am but I managed by wearing my headphones listening to music. But taking a nap was not an option for me with headphones on but it was, however, an incentive to step out of the hotel :)

Another problem I experienced was the food quality served in Cafe Marco. While the buffet selection provided Western and Asian food items (Filipino, Chinese and Japanese), the "sausages" were hotdogs, pancakes were pre-made and stacked by the bread bin, orange juice was made from Tang, a powdered orange juice.

There was one last problem. While the hotel staff in general were kind and gracious, one of the cooks and one of the Cafe Marco servers were not. I understand a little Tagalog and I overhead the cook made fun of my request for a special omelet readily known in the US. I also overhead one of the servers put me down when I requested a glass of orange juice to be served to my table. I made these requests simply because I wasn't aware that they don't make special omelets nor do they served juice drinks although they do serve coffee and water. You are expected to get the juice orange yourself. I don't have a problem with not getting the special omelet nor getting the juice drink myself but now that I know I won't repeat those mistakes. I just didn't like being made fun of by the hotel staff which was said in a very loud voice. I though those two people acted in an unprofessional manner and did not reflect the 5-star status of the hotel.

My low rating reflected my not-so-good experience with the hotel. Hopefully, management would learn from this review and make the appropriate changes. I really do think the hotel has been coasting on its reputation for so long and the fact that it is the only 5-star hotel in the city.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank MrEdnWilbur
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Positives: Room was amazingly quiet despite being in the heart of Davao; Same with pool located on 4th floor, i.e. traffic sound masked by water fountains; Staff very attentive and friendly except for the servers during bfast buffet; Conveniently located across from the Ateneo U where the chapel offers weekday masses twice daily in addition to Sat. Pm and Sunday morning masses.

Negatives: Breakfast buffet average quality. Mgmt. should head to Radisson Blu Cebu to find out what a world-class b'fast buffet is like. Hotel does not have any good upscale shopping mall within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors facing the pool but farther away from the CM Recto / Roxas Blvd i...
1  Thank Lena5209
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I have been regular patrons of Marco Polo Davao. In fact, we held our wedding reception here in 2003 and have been stayed in this hotel every time we come home to the Philippines. On those times, I can say that the hotel was very good in every was but we have noticed during our recent stay that service is not that good as before. We were given a VERY dusty room for a start. I tried ringing front desk for a room transfer but phones were constantly busy. So I was forced to go down to the front desk ( not too happy after travelling for more than 24 hours) and was given another room. I would expect to be given a clean room the first time for the price we pay for this hotel and a least an apology for the substandard cleanliness of their room. But none was forthcoming! The Eagle's bar is still very good. Cafe Marco's still serve very good variety of food. In fact, I had my 40th birthday dinner party in there. My personal observation is that the front desk staff are not as efficient and as friendly as before except for a few when we were doing the check out. There are times when I can see that a little bit of initiative and warmth could go a long way in making their paying guests stay a bit better. Friends also remarked that they have noticed that the standard of this hotel has declined and encouraged us to try next time Radisson Hotel. Marco Polo hotel hold so much good memories for us and it would be a shame if this hotel will lose more customers due to its declining standards to new and better hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Request to have a look at their standard and superior rooms before you make a choice. Why pay more w...
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Overall we found this property to be good with the exception of the front desk during check in. We had an advanced reservation and confirmation from the hotel for a non-smoking king bed. Upon check in we were informed that the hotel was "fully booked" and that only one room was available, a smoking room with two small beds, unless we wanted to upgrade to the Presidential Suite. After a lengthy discussion at the front desk (the night manager disappeared as soon as the discussion began) we elected to check the room to see if we could put up with it for one night with a promise from the clerk that they would find us a better room the next day. We checked the room and found it unsuitable for us - I have been in Poker Rooms which smelled better than this one. When I informed the bellman to take our bags back to the lobby as we were going to depart and look for another hotel, he had a brief discussion with the maid service representative and found that there were several rooms available including at least one on a nonsmoking floor. In the end the bellman took good care of us and handled the transfer including bringing us up access cards to the new room as I had little interest in dealing with the front desk again that evening. WIFI worked well and once settled in I scanned some travel sites to find that this form of "bait & switch" has happened to others checking in to this property from time to time. Other than the front desk staff issues, we found the rest of the staff and services at this property to be excellent. Breakfast which was included in the room package had a good selection of items and of good quality. Bell desk was very helpfull in arranging a private car and driver for a day tour of the area at an excellent price. Radisson is opening a property next to one of the new malls in Davao in Feb 2013 and expect this competition to make the existing hotel properties in the area to step up their game.

Room Tip: Beware of the "we are fully booked and you can upgrade to a suite" routine.