“New year's eve 2011 party at Marco polo, not worth it!”
Review of Marco Polo Davao

Marco Polo Davao
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
“New year's eve 2011 party at Marco polo, not worth it!”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We usually celebrate our new year's eve (Dec 31,2011) at Marco polo, except for the last 2 years. We usually look forward to it because of the sumptuous buffet, party and fabulous party and countdown and bonding with our family. This year 2011, however is not what we expected and sad to say below our expectations and certainly not worth it. The new years dinner at cafe Marco is still impeccable, big gastronomic proportions, different variety and really blows your mind. The service in the restaurant and food is really good.no complaint with this, what really pisses me off is the party after. First, the children's party is really boring, flat and it would be better if they did not offer this. Before, there was a host, clowns and magic show, but now there was just a big tv in the room, with crayons and coloring book. No other activity whatsoever, I was really disappointed because I really thought that my child will enjoy it but when I arrived after 30 mins he was sleeping. It was not like that 2-3 years ago and to think that they charged more for this year. Another is the Hollywood party, it was also boring, there was no emcees or host, there was just a band singing in the front, after that the countdown, then none. There was even raffles offerered before, but now NONE. Next is the food at the party, the waiters are at a loss and don't know that the coupons given to us could be used to order from the cocktail bar to order food and drinks. We had so many coupons to use and they don't want to usto order from their bar. We even had to call, their manager and clarify things with the waiters. They should educate their waiter about this matters because we paid good bucks for this party and we really feel shortchanged and this is a 5-star hotel. They have charged more for this party and expecting more fun, more action but sad to say, this party is BORING, less fun and flat. You should have hosts or even emcees to make the party more lively and not just rely on the band. The party for the kids is really silly and just don't place a children's party if there is no one to entertain them because its not funny for us moms. I don't have any complaint with Marco polo except for this party, the rooms, service are really good, except for this boring and no fun party. I will still stay here if I go to Davao but never again for their new years party and next year may be more boring than is year. Thanks but no thanks he he he!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank docbarb46

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Philippines
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I stay in this hotel at least once a year and I always make it a point to stay in other hotels in the city if only to prove or disprove that this is not the best hotel in Davao City. However, what the other reviewer said (Aveeno1991) are all true. This is the best hotel in Davao City. You get value for your money with the customer service they provide. They have an airport pick-up (Php 150 one way) available which is very convenient compared to lining-up for taxi. You will probably save by taking a taxi but whatever you save is not worth it. Its better to pay for their airport shuttle. I tried the taxi route before and believe me, saving Php 50 is not worth it.

Aside from the service, I like the hotel's swimming pool, gym and spa. The pool looks great at night and you can swim until 11 in the evening. Its the best looking pool in the city. The gym is also great. They have the necessary equipments (treadmills, bars, etc) for your workout. The spa is splendid. You can have your massage in your room and its cheaper ($23) compared to having it at the spa place ($28). However, try going to the spa place. At least try it once.

The downside for this hotel? Iron and ironing board are not available so you have to spend for pressing. Internet is also not free. The taxes (23%) for room service is exorbitant although I guess they can't do anything about it. I guess my advice would be...don't order thru room service. A can of Coke would cost you $3.5 dollars without the taxes!

Four years ago, the breakfast buffet was awful. But I've noticed that since 2010, they've improved their menu and its now okay to take advantage of the free breakfast. Breakfast buffet will cost you $16 (if its not part of your room package). If you want to do the set menu thru room service, it will cost you $11. I guess if you have a good appetite and not part of your room package, its better to take the buffet breakfast rather than the set menu.

I always booked my room thru their website as their packages include breakfast compared to other sites (Agoda, Asiatravel, etc). Their single and double occupancy rate is the same so its better to take the double occupancy rate as it includes breakfast for two. When I'm travelling solo, i always book the double occupancy room so I can get an extra buffet breakfast slot which I give away to my guest or whomever I'm suppose to meet. Big savings and convenient!

I've also noticed that the Lobby Lounge is now 24 hours compared to the closing time of 2pm previous years. This is good because it gives you an opportunity to do late last minute meetings in the hotel.

I highly recommend this hotel if you are in Davao.

Room Tip: You only have two choice. Either you get the room which has the view of part of the city or the one...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Davao City
Reviewed January 2, 2012

ROOM: reeked. I had the feeling that it was not throughly cleaned. It didn't smell like it was cleaned either. Sure the sheets looked like they were washed. The furniture and things in the room were arranged but I wanted when I enter a hotel room it would smell nice and if possible new. When I got a whiff of the room I wanted to get out of there pronto.

Since I have a house in the city I didn't stay in the room anymore considering I'd be smelling it the whole night. I did pay for the accommodation but went home instead.

POOL: the cushions on the reclining chairs/beds near the pool had stains all over them. The waterfall made me want to get a cleaning brush and remove the moss formations all over that thing. If the hotel was after making the moss an accent of the waterfall they have definitely done a good job. I just think that thing hasn't been cleaned for a long time.

POLO BISTRO: I reserved a table for 10 in this restaurant. I brought my sisters and their kids with me. One sister of mine made specific instructions on the kind of side dishes she wanted. Though the staff was able to deliver some of her requests, those that they weren't able to give to her they wouldn't even tell us that they couldn't provide it. They were probably hoping we'd forget about it. One particular request we made for the desert, which was banana split, was chocolate, vanilla and strawberry for the ice cream. We repeated the flavors hoping they'd get it. They served us Vanilla, strawberry and mango. What's the point of giving instructions if they couldn't follow them.

Food was absolutely lousy. My sister cooked better. And to think this was supposed to be a gourmet restaurant, there was NOT ANYTHING GOURMET about it.

The staff at the reception were great. No complaints there. The checking in and out was fast.

I just hope they'd do something about the cleanliness of the place. Some places at the hotel will lead one to think it's a very old hotel when it really isn't.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Davao, Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed December 18, 2011

the worst hotel ever!!!!! soo dirty check out the kitchen swear you will nerver ever eat again in that hotel!!!!!

Room Tip: dont ever stay in this hotel poor accomodation.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cutie123456davo
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I have always stayed at the Marco Polo when visiting Davao - be it while on business or vacation. Not only is it so strategically located which makes it easy find, return to and leave from - but the hotel gives you a good experience which, I should say, I have not seen (yet) in other hotels near its calibre. My statement may sound unfair since my only interaction with the other hotels in the city is when I get invited for lunch/dinner and other functions. However, you could easily get a sense check if a hotel keeps a certain level of standard, and so far, none comes close.
Their airport pick up is efficient, the dispatcher and driver are most courteous. The Front Office staff are so efficient, helpful and polite - cognizant of their roles as one of the first faces guests encounter in the hotel. They know my history of requests (non-smoking floor, queen bed, room facing Ateneo, etc). They extend services to returning guests (free wi-fi, etc) which I appreciate.
For some reason, I love the bed at the Marco Polo so sleeping is not a problem. They have an iPod dock, appropriate bathroom amenities, clean linen and towels and excellent pressing services (I like mine heavily starched!!).
The newly renovated Cafe Marco now serves a new breakfast buffet fare (it could very well be lunch) and Lotus Court still serve good Cantonese dishes (try their pumpkin and crab soup - easy on the palate with subtle hints of spices).
My only challenge during the most recent visit is that they now have a Digibox in every room. After 10 minutes of reading the instruction manual, I had to call for tech support, and a most helpful and courteous one at that. Also, their previous TV set which may be swiveled is now affixed to the wall. No worries, though as I always watch from bed.
All in all - I am (still) very happy with Marco Polo Davao. I know this hotel, one day, will have changes, and I am confident it will be for the better.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea has a magnificent view early morning and late afternoon!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
london
Reviewed November 6, 2011

front desk was very helpful and efficient.
room service excellent.
rooms are bit old but okey as services compensates it.
excellent food.
great location.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Manila
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Stayed in Marco Polo Davao after a long time - at least 4 years - the first time was right after it opened in the late 90s. Generally, the place, rooms, food and service was still tops. I got a room at a non-smoking floor. As usual the bed was comfy and the pillows just right. Bathroom was okay - a bit disappointed with the non-functional shower-head though. A stay overnight in the superior and deluxe rooms will get you free buffet breakfast at Cafe Marco, which I understand is newly renovated - the food was again very good - just the right variety while using fresh fruit items that are popular & readily available in Davao such as Pomelo, papaya, mangoes.

What nice about Marco Polo is that it's centrally located. The famous Aldevinco shopping center is right across - where you can buy your usual Davao items, including Batik items, pomelo by the crate, etc.

Room Tip: If you're from the Philippines & traveling on business, try to get a corporate rate/discount...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business