“North Zen: Great Hotel! Would Stay Again!”

North Zen Basic Spaces
Ranked #9 of 126 Davao City B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed in several hotels in Davao region on a budget and this hotel was clean, spacious, cool and relaxing. Everything worked: nice showers, nice flat screen tv, good room service and it is near shops, and amenities.

The problem with other budget hotels is a bit of neglect in at least one area ...maybe toilet/bath facilities are not working properly or a bit of decor needs doing, but North Zen is well maintained & well decorated which makes it stand out from the rest of the hotels for me.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I didn't like staying here. Not because I expected different appearance and amenities. But the service was the worst. I work in the same field so I now this for a fact. The girls at the front are snob and not interested on helping nor making suggestions about anything. Most of my questions was answered by No. I don't know. We don't have. It's close to a lot of places which is good. I will never ever stay here again.

Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank rey22
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Had a bit of explaining done when I was checking-in for this hotel. Booked it through an online booking site and their instructions for the payment is very unclear. I thought I was already been charged since this is the usual practice so I was shocked to know I still need to pay them upon check-in.

It was resolved but I asked them to revise their instructions for future customers.

Room is small. Very basic. Single bed. Small bathroom. Breakfast not included.

With a bit of GPS-skill you can find your way to a nearby mall.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank jaysantos_dot_ph
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I had a great experience while staying in North Zen. The room I was first a sign to was not too big but not to small. The problem was that the shower was barely working however the front desk was very nice and accomidating and offered me a different room. She even showed me other rooms and see which one i like. This is a plus for me. The room I choose had a king size bed, plus much cheaper than the one is initially booked for. The room is good for two person.The shower was in great condition, the bathroom however was small. But the room has all the basics, large closet, tv and AC. The bed consist of two pillows and a thin blanket. Not a big deal for me. The staff are always kind and greats you with a smile all the time.I would recommend North Zen, to those who are looking for a good place to stay and on a budget. Looking forward on my next trip I sure will stay here again. Thanks North Zen for a great experience.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank lafly83
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The name of this hotel is appropriate because it does provide the basics, but this is considered pretty nice by developing country standards. Came here in Feb 2013, which is considered best time of year in this tropical country weather wise but it was still hot and humid. It is a brand new building, so that is nice. They have wifi in lobby and public areas but not strong enough inside the rooms. We had to wait for a while to get our rooms ready, and there was a bit of confusion what our room assignment would be and where our bags were, but it got fixed. The room is very small, and the bathroom too! But it was nice and clean, it was hard to maneuver my big luggage and the desk space was little to none, only enough to hold the TV. There was only one pillow and a thin blanket and one towel-those used to US standards of having 4 pillows and unlimited towels can find this perplexing. The bathroom too has such small space! The saving grace is the very nice friendly employees, who are helpful esp James. The hotel is in a residential neighborhood but everything is a tricycle drive away, and very safe. It is well known that the Mayor shows no mercy to criminals. By provincial standards, this is a clean and efficient but still falls a little short of what would be minimum in the Western World. Nevertheless, it does the job-lots of foreigners stay so it is good enough. The Zen is a bit missing. There are noisy meetings the 2nd floor breakfast area, and I didn't see any Buddhas, plants or water features that would have achieved the Zen aesthetic!

Room Tip: Get a quite room towards the back, and not near the road where the noisy tricyles are!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RichieSel
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Booked our stay here thru the internet with breakfast. The location is ok. It is near a church and McDo, where we had dinner since we arrived late. We ordered our breakfast the following day and requested it to be delivered by 6am since we will be fetched by our friend by 7am. I woke up early and expected our breakfast but I had to make a few calls before it was delivered. On our 2nd night, there are lots of people in the common area and we can't sleep well after a tiring day from Samal Island and Crocodile Park. Free Wi-Fi is accessible inside the room, which is great since I can access my emails and social networking sites then upload pics. Staff is ok. Room is ok. It has a bathroom with shower, closets, flat tv, AC, tables and chairs, double bed with clean linens.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank balmix_turistas
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Brand new and clean, but too much money compared to other hotels. The internet is good, tiny comfort room, can't use the sink unless the door is closed. I didn't like the large common area outside the rooms, not very private and very noisy. Strange design for a hotel, small rooms. The aircon unit in the next room is right outside your window. Very small rooms but lots of wasted space outside of them.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo