“Good value for money”

North Zen Basic Spaces
Ranked #5 of 124 Davao City B&B and Inns
“Good value for money”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

My friend and I stayed at North Zen Hotel for a night and it was a pleasant experience. The room is a little small but clean and well ventilated. The hotel is new so the aircon, tv, toilet, lights and shower were working perfectly. We had a good night sleep. Check in and check out was fast and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Would definitely recommend to friends and other budget travelers.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed February 17, 2012

For budget-minded travelers, North Zen is not a bad option at all. It’s probably one of the best-value accommodations I have stayed in during my months of travel around the Philippines. Mind you, it’s a basic place, and I guess the fact that it’s pretty new, without yet having suffered any significant wear and tear, contributes much to the quality of your stay. I spent 5 nights in a single room which was small but adequate. There’s a LCD TV with a good selection of channels, as well as fast and reliable WIFI. The bed is rather small but okay, even for a tall person like me. It comes with a cheap foam mattress which I first expected to be problem for getting a good night’s sleep, but I actually slept well every night. Everything was clean and well taken care of. All of the staff was courteous and always smiling and helpful. While North Zen is located in central Davao, I did wish it to be a bit closer to People’s Park and its environs. There’s a little massage shop next door which is just okay, but I cannot really recommend. (Better take a taxi to Holiday Spa, the quality of the massages is much better there). Exiting the hotel to the right and turning right again at the next corner onto Lapu Lapu Street there is a really good Filipino-Chinese restaurant on the opposite side of the road, less than a minute’s walk away from North Zen. Great Pork Asado and Egg Tarts there! All in all, considering that I only spent 650PhP per night for my room, I was really happy with my stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I don't know if I got a promo rate or it was their regular rate but I really believe that paying 700 pesos per night is absolutely a great deal. Their location is less than 30 minutes from the Davao International Airport. My room, which was a single standard room, was quite spacious. It has a neatly done bed, not as comfy though as those that can be found from 5-star hotels, but they're good enough for a solo traveler who is working on a very tight budget. The room also includes a big cabinet where you can place all your stuff, a flat screen TV and an incredibly spacious bathroom. Security shouldn't be an issue here. They have a 24-hour security and a CCTV. The tenants are not shabby. Some of the tenants are travelers and others I think are students maybe from a nearby university which is Ateneo De Davao. The North Zen's location is very strategic because somehow it is located at the epicenter of all the tourist spots and malls. SM Davao is just 15 minutes away. They also have a mini-spa within their building so you can just call the receptionist from your room to send over a therapist to your room if you might need one.

The problem that I've had with them is finding a way to get in touch with them. A blog mentioned about this Bed and Bath so I tried searching some more information online but they don't have their own website and finally I found that they have a facebook account. Now that is a problem for somebody like me who doesn't have a facebook account. Thankfully they have an email address on their info page. I emailed them and they responded quickly. Asked them several questions through email and I got all the answers that I needed. Because of their fast response and their honesty I decided to book with them. It was a decision that I would never regret. Jeffrey the receptionist, I don't know if remember his name correctly, was very courteous and friendly.

I recommend this to all solo travelers, budget travelers, and those who intend to stay in Davao for more than 5 days. Have fun!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window, I think some of the rooms may not have one.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank stableunstable
Kihei
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I recently stayed at the north zen hotel in Davao city Philippines. The hotel is rather new and is about 30 min. from the airport. The hotel sits on a rather quiet street with homes and small businesses. It's about 10 min. from the new breeze shopping mall and about 15 min. from the SM city Mall. The staff there greeted me very warmly they were aware of my reservation they spoke terrific English and were very friendly and accommodating. in the same complex are a couple of other shops downstairs including the restaurant right next store was very clean very reasonably priced has a very friendly staff. The food is Filipino and the breakfast is a very good deal. I stayed in the Zen suite which is their top room available, it's on the ground floor has a clean bed and the 32 inch television.
Clean, air-conditioned, and all new fixtures, in fact it's still smell of freshly painted.

Here are the positives -

New new new. New air-conditioning, new television, all new fixtures in the bathroom.
Excellent staff, Jeffrey at the front desk, both of the security guards, the cleaning staff, and I can't forget the two young ladies at the front desk in the morning they were both so friendly and also so intelligent, very helpful.
clean and very new. Also including the restaurant next-door very clean and also a very good value.
Excellent television, with a lot of excellent television stations, the very best of my month-long travels throughout Asia.
free Wi-Fi, strong and very thankful for that.

Here are the negatives –

Horrible water pressure. The lowest water pressure I experienced on my month long travels.
Poor lighting. Both in the bathroom, and also in the living area.
Not enough electrical plugs were available. 1 plug in the living room, and zero electricity plugs in the bathroom.
No safety box in the room.
Incorrect bedding in the living room. The blanket did not cover the entire bed. Only one sheet covering the mattress, therefore the building was incorrect.
Air conditioner, although brand-new, was so noisy I thought there was a pickup truck inside the room

Overall review –

I paid $47 for the Zen suite a special price discounted from $82
If the ownership or the management was to change all the negative aspects which I have mentioned above. I would then say that this is indeed a very good value. With the changes in place I would say that the Zen hotel could be a five star legitimate boutique hotel. This would make it very unique in the city of Davao. If the changes were not made, then I would say that the Zen Hotel is a three star hotel at best, and I would not say that it was a very good value at that.

Room Tip: get the cheapest room at the cheapest price available, investigate for internet discount, because ra...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family