“Rooms need refurbishing”

Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
“Rooms need refurbishing”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Stayed at the pinnacle in davao for 1 week, the noise level in this place is something else.
Just outside our room there is a nightclub which does Karaoke until 2 am everynight.
The rooms need refurbishing and guess what they dont have a fridge in the rooms.The staff are very friendly and the breakfast is included in the price, we changed rooms for the front of the building much better there but still the rooms are not good and no view at all only some one elses window. I would never stay at this hotel again pathetic.

Room Tip: Front of the building
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robert W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Quezon City
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We stayed at Pinnacle Hotel and Suites at Sta. Anna Avenue on our last 2 nights in Davao. I came to know about the hotel through the internet. Our room costs P 2,500.00 per night. The hotel is relatively new – it was constructed about 2 years ago. The rooms are fully furnished. Apart from the bed, the room has a bed-side table, a dresser, a cabinet and flat screen tv. There is constant supply of hot and cold water.

The hotel offers massage services and has a pool at the 5th floor. There’s a free buffet breakfast for every checked-in guest. Standard check-out time is 12:00 PM; however, I requested for an extension since our flight to Manila is still at 10PM of October 30 – for this, we were charged half the room’s daily rate. We also availed their shuttle service to the airport on our return flight to Manila – cost of rental is P 350.00 for the car.

ATMs and fastfood chains are very much accessible to the hotel and it’s a 3-minute walk to Gaisano Mall. I would definitely recommend Pinnacle Hotel to travellers looking for temporary accommodation in Davao.

Generally, the staffs are very warm and helpful. What’s kind of off is that the front desk staff are useless when it comes to directions going to tourist spots in the City - don’t ask them where Eden or Crocodile park are, they can’t give you any answer on this. But, don’t worry, there are plenty of taxis in the city.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. You're sure to get your money's worth.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GeorgePudadera
Manila
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I suggested Pinnacle to my colleagues because of the glowing reviews I saw here on TripAdvisor. They came before me and told me that they (2 girls) were placed in a "honeymoon" room where the bathroom has one wall that is made of glass which enables whoever is in the room to see what the other one is doing inside the bathroom.
When I got there the first thing I noticed was that, no one helps you take your luggage to your room. And upon entering the room I occupied, it was dark! It had NO white light, I noticed yellow rope lights on the wall and very small yellow lights on the ceiling. Next, as you part the curtains, the only view you get is wall and pipes. The bed was ok, The blanket was frayed which caused me to get some form of irritation on my skin.
I asked the front desk personnel to give me a menu for the room service. It came after 2 follow-ups and 35 minutes after.
When the menu came, it also came with an over eager staff who was not content on waiting on my order but engaged me in a chat asking me if I was alone -- that is scary!
I ordered for what the over eager staff suggested "Pork Chops" which was worth P210 and mushroom soup. When I got the P210 worth of PorkChops it was one thin slice, rather smelly (the kind you smell from meat that has been in the freezer for such a long time), quite tough (I can't cut it with a knife!) and tasted purely of Maggi Magic Savor! Totally not worth P210! I could get a better porkchop from the hawker stands in Makati! The mushroom soup barely had mushroom... and it came in a container that was as big as a basin! The soda I ordered did not come with a straw nor a glass.
I was expecting a good buffet breakfast (silly me, I should have gotten the cue from the porkchop!!!) but I had the worst buffet breakfast ever! They said that service starts at 6am, but they started placing the food on the buffet table at 6:35am -- and they served corned beef with raw potatoes, fish fillet that had some parts that are raw! The fish fillet was very salty and tasted only of... you guessed it right! Maggi Magic Savor! I also got their fried rice but it did not taste fried... it tasted like boiled rice with... one more time with emphasis... Maggi Magic Savor.
I left by taking a cab and noticed that the guard asked the cab for money... wait! I got the cab by myself, I carried my bag myself and the guard gets kotong??? ayayay!!

Room Tip: Specify if you are there for work and not on a honeymoon!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank LGGarcia
Manila
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I think my fellow trip advisors who were satisfied with Pinnacle did not experience power failure while in the hotel. Wow! It has no generator working last Sept 1 and people were trapped in the elevator for some few minutes (@10 mins.) Whew! I know those guys would not want to be in Pinnacle the next tiome they are in Davao.

A fellow trip advisor speaks of a pool where he can do some laps...Wow! It only measures 4 meters in length! When you stretch your body you forward you should be returning back to where you came from. And, yes...the Jacuzzi is STILL a name...It is STILL not working.

And, there is no Gym yet...which has been adverstised for some time.

All Myths.

By the way, Davao City is very strict on not smoking in enclosed places. Go up to where the pool is (5th level) in the morning and you will see cigarette butts all over the place.

Sorry, Pinnacle should be a place where you experience peace and serenity...not worry and insecuruty.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank frndshpc

Travelers are raving about these Davao City hotels

Paranaque, Philippines
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This relatively new hotel in Davao City is both accessible and convenient. It is easy to travel to and from it, near a mall, near the main thoroughfares and parks.
They have a hearty breakfast buffet. The food is not the most "wow" but they do serve Filipino comfort food with some Asian dishes included for good measure. The food is best described as "safe." If you want the specialties of Davao, you will have to go elsewhere.
The rooms are comfortable and have cable TV. The beds are comfy and finding sleep is not difficult. I got a room with a queen-sized bed and had comfortable sleep. Unfortunately, the room does not come with a refrigerator. This has to be requested and paid for at a fixed rate per night. There is also no full length mirror and no in-room safe...at least not in my room.
The function rooms are good for any business meeting or convention. The one we used could fit 100 people comfortably. I had no time to try the pool.
The staff is very accommodating. It did not matter that I checked in past midnight or that I requested that they stow my fruit baskets overnight. They try to accommodate if they can. Unfortunately, they are not so well-versed about airline/ quarantine/ customs rules. I chalked this up to them being new to the hotel business.
All in all, it was a pleasant experience. Pinnacle is not a luxury hotel but it is more than adequate for either a vacation or a business trip.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank purplepinay
Grafton, NY
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My wife and I tried this hotel for more than 2 weeks in July-Aug 2011 and are very pleased. Our first choice was the Marco Polo but their prices have risen far above the competition. You'll like the Pinnacle as it is fresh and new, has a friendly and helpful staff, a delicious breakfast and nice, private pool.
For a traditional Filipino breakfast, you cannot go wrong here. There's an egg station for the western touch to accompany your meat, rice (fried or steamed), vegetable and soup with a great fruit salad and fresh fruit, although no mango. Get up early as the breakfast rush between 7-8:30 tends to cause the fruit salad to disappear quickly. They'll put more out, all you have to do is ask.
We had a car for our stay and it was not at all inconvenient to park in the back if we could not get one of the few spots in front of the hotel. The doorman is incredibly friendly and the lobby is open, bright and has wi-fi. Cable internet in the room was fast and reliable. This is a business hotel and you should expect to share breakfast with a conference or other group. During our stay, there were several conferences and a basketball team enjoying the facility.
We chose a "cabana" room that opened out onto the 5th floor pool. While small, I could do many laps in total privacy as it was rarely used by other guests. There's a hot water shower next to the pool. The jaccuzi, however, never had its jets working...bummer. There are only 4 cabana rooms and the corner one gets you a good-sized terrace. The terrace door swings from either direction...remember to close the lock at the top when you leave your room. Note...it's the tropics...ants are plentiful. My wife kept this honey-containing face soap open on the big walk-in shower floor one day and the ants had trailed to it when we got home. Baygon works wonders and it lasts your entire stay. We sprayed some around the generous terrace door opening...needs some weatherstripping!
Aircon will freeze your butt so keep it about 22C all day and night on the low setting...leave the room keycard in the slot when you go out. It wastes some energy but you're comfy when you return. Great TV with CNN,etc, for your American tastes. HBO Asia is tame but okay, too. I wished for a microwave but got used to getting a teapot of hot water in the evening from downstairs.
Remember, this is culture with quiet, polite and friendly people. If you treat them this way, you'll get better response. We'll return here on our next visit. I really hope they complete the gym. It's next to the pool and should be adequate. With a gym, I'd bump my rating up one star.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Iceman272
Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed April 18, 2011

well, the only good thing i found in this hotel is the very friendly doorman who will greet you once you enter the hotel.
the general manager could not help you with your problem with their frontliner... he acted worse.. as if these people did not go through customer service seminars.. frustrating!
the aircon did not work... it was soooo hot! they have been called several times but no one bothered to go up to fix it..
i would never ever recommend this... i live in davao city and this place is a big SHAME!

Stayed December 2010