“One of the Better Hotels”

Hotel Tropika Davao
Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in Davao City
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This is one of the better hotels in Davao Philippines. The location is good. Just down the driveway, there's a sandwich shop and a massage service center. Convenient.

Pros:
. Clean rooms
. Quiet
. Close to the airport
. Good service desk and personnel

Cons:
. No wifi in the rooms - must go to the Lobby (variable)
. Breakfast. Very oily and greasy. Got sick once.
. No fitness room or pool

Room Tip: If you need wifi in your room, confirm it w/ the front desk first.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank socalguru
Alexis L, Manager at Hotel Tropika Davao, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2012

Dear socalguru,

Thank you for your review and for considering us one of the better hotels in Davao. We appreciate your comments especially in the areas that we need to improve on. Since we are a relatively small hotel, a fitness centre and pool are not within the scope of our amenities. However, we do provide complimentary shuttle service to most Samal Island resort jetties, where a 10-minute boat ride will bring you to beautiful beaches where one can enjoy sun, sea and various water sports.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Yes, we've seen the best hotel in Davao --Hotel Tropika. Although the name wouldn't catch your attention if you're looking for a place to stay but that doesn't stop this hotel from providing excellent service.

I had the our room booked two days before our visit to Davao and it was a breeze. The phone assistant was knowledgeable and courteous. She even asked for special requests that I may have like floor preference and what not. They have free airport transfer facility from the airport to the hotel which is awesome! They'd ask you to provide your flight details though at least a day before your arrival. No down payment needed, you just have to ensure that you have your room reserved.

After we were taken from the airport, we see ourselves at the hotel lobby. I was with my father and sister and we were greeted with smiles as we enter. The receptionists were great, not to mention, beautiful, especially Yvonne and Lara. They were courteous enough to discuss with us the hotel facilities and payment details. They're also knowledgeable in terms of Davao's tourist spots. And they are ready to answer any question that you may have. You have the option to pay upon check-in or during your check-out. And to my surprise, all the requests I made during my phone reservation were there on their notes.

We were assigned on the second floor near the stairs. It's just a three-storey hotel so no need for elevators. We were escorted to our room with no worries that we have big bags to carry. We were shown how to operate the room facilities as well. The moment that we saw the room, we were all at awe! It was bigger and more spacious than we expected. Some hotels use wide-angle lenses to drive people into believing that their rooms are spacious. Hotel Tropika did otherwise. Our room was amazing, cozy and has a calming effect. It was effortless sleeping at night because the bed doesn't make noises and it's as comfortable as can be. The pillows are firm and soft and the sheets are clean.

The room has a couch, a coffee table and another extra chair. They're beside a tall lamp which is a great place to read a book. There's also a full-sized desk where you can do business with. It has ample sockets, as well, for your laptop chargers and other needs. On this desk, you'll see an LCD television with a digibox for cable. This could've been bigger, like a 32-inch or better, maybe? You'll also see a filer wherein you can read through hotel rules, facilities, restaurant menu (Aseya) and other services that they offer.

The bathroom is great too! The shower has great pressure knowing that the hot water and cold water com from two separate faucets combined at the end. They replenish toiletries everyday. Their shampoo is in a container and not on sachets. Also, they have this rule that says, if you hang your towel, it won't get changed, put it in the hamper otherwise. It is part of their drive to conserve water. They also have two tissue holders that don't get replenished until fully consumed. Cool eh?!

I was told that my room is near the router so I can enjoy mobile internet during my stay. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to connect while I'm inside the room but when I go down to the restaurant or lobby, internet connection is fast and reliable. It's a good thing I have 3G connection so I didn't bother reporting it at the front desk.

The in-house restaurant serves buffet breakfast during weekends and plated ones during weekdays. The buffet could have more options to it. They served pork tocino, scrambled eggs, fried bangus, congee, cereals, bread and butter together with coffee and watermelon juice. The next day it was the same set only that they served pork longganisa in exchange of the pork tocino. Then for the plated breakfast, they'll show you a list of available meals to choose from. Don't expect much from this list.

The hotel is approximately 100 meters from the highway. It's near establishments like massage clinics, a gas station, and Damosa Gateway if you're craving fro more food options. We didn't get to try having food delivered to our room as we have our Davao trip fully planned so we opted to eat outside all the time but as I've read, Aseya serves great meals. The hotel also have function rooms for meetings and symposiums. The hotel also has a spacious parking lot that would hold at around 20-25 cars. I was expecting a swimming pool though but it's not a requirement. They have this area that I believe would be utilized soon.

All in all, it was a great experience for me and my family! I'd recommend you guys to visit this hotel when you're in Davao! A genuine bang for the buck! What more can I say? Cheers and more power to Hotel Tropika!

Room Tip: When booking a room, during phone conversation, make sure to get the confirmation number.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Mark E

Dear Mark E,

Our compliments and gratitude for your very thorough and detailed review of our property. I am sure that TA readers will appreciate the wealth of information that you have provided. Thank you too for mentioning our initiatives to conserve and protect our environment.

We are currently working to fix the glitches in our in-room wi-fi connection. Appreciate your calling our attention to this matter.

We are happy that, overall, you and your family had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to serving you again at Hotel Tropika.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

The hotel is simple but very nice
- Practical e.g. providing water dispenser for drinking water which is environmental friendly.
- Hotel is quite new, location is good
- Service is good, offered me a free pick up in nearby area
- Price is very very reasonable - value for money.
- Food is quite good

Room Tip: They do not have elevator since it's only a 3 floor building, so if you have problem with that...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank user_freewilly
Alexis L, Manager at Hotel Tropika Davao, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2012

Dear user-freewilly,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for featuring one of our eco-friendly initiatives. We are glad to note that you are satisfied with our location, had an all-around pleasant stay and got good value for your money.

Hoping to serve you again on your next visit to Davao City.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I visit the Philippines yearly, and we always stay at the Hotel Tropika in Davao City. We have always been extremely pleased with the service; there is a no tipping policy, and everyone there is so pleasant, helpful, and accommodating. Our most recent trip, in February 2012, was, as usual, a wonderful experience. My favorite thing about the hotel, however, is the restaurant; the food is exceptional! We often stayed in our room and had room service because of the quality of the food; the food arrived quickly, and it was consistently delicious and well-prepared. The entire hotel is very clean, including the rooms, restaurant, and surrounding seating area, outside of the restaurant. We always had staff meet us at the car when we had packages and/or luggage; I even had one of the staff volunteer to take my soda to my room after I ordered it at the restaurant because my hands were full! I will definitely be using the hotel again, on our next trip!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ATitoRN

Dear ATitoRN,

Thank you for taking the time to write another review. We are simply elated by your comments about our facilities, food and service. This can only inspire us strive harder to maintain, if not improve, on what we have now.

It was our pleasure to serve you again at Hotel Tropika. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 25, 2012

I spent a couple of days here, and used the hotel with my colleagues for a business meeting. I decided we use this hotel, based on its #1 placing for Davao hotels in Trip Advisor. All in all, it was a good decision. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful, and seemed genuinely happy about what they do. I just found the restaurant staff a bit slow in providing service. But I have to say that the food here is amazing, with their Asian fusion cuisine definitely one of the highlights. One downer though was the congee I ordered for breakfast on a Saturday. Apparently, they don't serve buffet breakfast on days where the hotel capacity is less than 40 people. I was very disappointed because the congee they served me was too thick. It was just like eating a bowl of soft rice. Must be a glitch, because the rest of the food on the menu was exquisitely presented and the flavors were astounding.

The bedrooms were spotlessly clean, and the large king size bed in my room was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Flat screen TV in room, but cable TV was through a converter, which was a minor hassle. I loved the fact that they had really strong wifi throughout the property, and even in my room which was on the 3rd floor. There was no bottled water in the room, but there was a water dispenser in the hall. Bathroom is also clean and fresh. No complaints there.

The hotel itself is a bit out of the center of town, but just a few minutes from the airport. It's on the highway going to Insular Waterfront, just next to the Davao Regal Hotel and its casino. This means that it is quiet at night, and you can really sleep soundly. In front is the small row of shops and massage places, which is convenient for relaxing after a long day at the meeting room. It's also easy to get cabs. The front desk staff and the doorman would be more than happy to call one for you. The fare to central malls such as Victoria Plaza is around 85-90 pesos.

About the meeting room, it was also OK. I would just like to suggest to the management that they make it a point to always have coffee served. This is supposed to be standard fare for all hotel meetings anyway. I had to remind the staff to bring the coffee.

Barring a few hitches here and there, I've had a lovely time at this hotel. It's small and intimate, and the food is of very high quality, but at a price that is very agreeable. Value for money indeed! Hats off to the chef, and the lovely ladies at the front desk. Will definitely come back.

Room Tip: The hotel has no elevators. If you have a problem trudging up stairs, or have lots of luggage, ask f...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank TheShrike_inManila
Alexis L, Manager at Hotel Tropika Davao, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2012

Dear TheShrike,

We are gratified to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Tropika.

Thank you for taking the time to describe your hotel experience in detail, and for your feedback on the restaurant. We take note of your comment on the congee and will relay this to the chef, along with your appreciation of the rest of the menu. We also welcome your feedback on the meeting room and will make it a point to have coffee readily available at meeting packages that feature free-flowing coffee. Your comments and suggestions will greatly help us to improve on our service and facilities and we thank you for this.

Looking forward to serving you again on your next visit to Davao City.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

Me and my boyfriend spent the new year's eve at Davao City. Aside from there's no fireworks display, we had the first minutes of 2012 with people we don't know. I'm talking about the other guests of Tropika. The hotel arranged this NY party for the guests. Not free but good enough and there's a bonus--we won a gift certificate. Anyway, we got our stay on a promo rate. They had this NY eve promo for only P1500/night. No reason we wont be attending the party!
Let's talk about the hotel. The staff are all smiling, courteous and kind. My favorite service is having the taxi called by the guard. We don't have a car so it's very convenient and kind. The room is good, enough space. My favorite corner is the sofa with coffee table an a lamp. It feels comfortable. It has a huge closet, mini ref, good mirrors and an electric heater--you can drink coffee anytime. By the way, we requested the second floor room as recommended by other advisors.
We find it weird that almost all the light source in the room are lamps. I think the room has 3-4 lamps. I find those lights romantic but sometimes you want more light. The television is flat screen but small. It will be better to have it bigger and mounted on the wall.

Over all and with the price we got, the hotel is awesome! :)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Maria N
Alexis L, Manager at Hotel Tropika Davao, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2012

Dear Maria N,

We thank you for spending New Year's Eve with us at Hotel Tropika and for taking the time to write this review. We are happy to hear that you appreciate our service and had a pleasant stay at the hotel. Thank you too for your comments on room lighting. We chose lamps for lighting to give the room a more peaceful and restful ambiance. However, we do change to brighter bulbs upon request whenever our guest requires more light in the room.

We look forward to your next visit, and perhaps spending next New Year's Eve again with us at Hotel Tropika.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

This is a new hotel with clean rooms and excellent room service. The staff is friendly and courteous and for the most part speaks English well. The front staff was very helpful in planning and in allowing the use of a lap top computer. This hotel is several miles out of downtown Davao and it's smog. The hotel calls for taxi service as you need it and can recommend restaurants throughout the area. Taxi service is metered and very inexpensive by American standards. The hotel restaurant is good if you don't want to go out of the hotel. It could use a little more variety. They also offer outside dinning which is nice on the cooler days or evenings. They use a massage business on the street in front of the hotel which was found to be good and inexpensive. The only negative was a few days of cool water in the shower in the early mornings.

Room Tip: Ground floor room with king bed was clean and quiet. A/C drowns out any outside noise
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nightrider3315

Dear nightrider3315,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel and the quality of service that we offer. Our front office staff send you their compliments.

Your comments on our restaurant and food variety have been discussed with the chef and we should be coming out with an expanded menu soon. Thank you too for calling our attention to the water heating glitches that you experienced in the early morning. We will look into this and make sure hot water will be readily available even in the early hours.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Hotel Tropika.