“Boutique appearances but little more.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Anisabel Suites

Anisabel Suites
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Davao City
Singapore
“Boutique appearances but little more.”
Reviewed February 23, 2012

First for the positives.

Anisabel Suites has a boutique feel about it, it is nicely designed and rooms, set across a shaded courtyard from the reception area are spacious and comfortable. The staff are great on the whole in terms of friendliness and willigness to help.

On to the negatives.

This is the only hotel I have ever stayed in where I was told there was no drinking water available (something that I believe would actually be illegal in many countries). I asked for a bottle of water and 20 minutes later the response came back that there was none available. Given there is a shop on the other side of the street, this would not normally be an issue but at 10pm in the evening, this wasn't an option and the night ahead was a very dry one.

Breakfast was hardly edible (apart from the longganisa). Microwaves on display for all to see as dishes were produced to the magical sound of a ping and quickly returned to the kitchen. It was pretty bad. Simple basics like a fruit juice and milk were missing. Not what you would expect given the price. I did not try the restaurant in the evening and by the looks of things, nobody else did either as it was completely empty whenever I passed through.

I liked the room but given the (locked) sliding door joining the next room, it was noisy and I felt that I was sleeping in the same room as the people next door, far from ideal. Please also note that en-suite bathrooms are not separate to the bedroom itself with just a curtain dividing the bedroom from the bathroom area. In the room I slept in I had a light that could not be properly switched off and it actually flickered all night long, most distracting.

So on the whole, I really liked the idea of Anisabel Suites and was looking forward to my stay there. It looked like a great option in comparison to the larger 'business hotels' in Davao but the execution just wasn't there and while things appeared to be in order on the surface, I quickly learnt that things were far from satisfactory after just a couple of hours there. For the price, I would recommend playing it safe and head for one of the larger hotels in a more central location in Davao that are properly equipped to deal with guests.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank Herriotcube

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Mindanao, Philippines
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I really love the experience staying at Anisabel. The staff are nice, from the front desk to the waiters. The room is really good, clean,spacious, comfortable and the comfort room is also nice. What you see in their web site is as it is--elegant.
My boyfriend and I had a quality time. We tried Mamu's and the food are delicious. I super like the spicy spare ribs and love the choco lava! Their kitchen staffs are also very diligent and generous. We requested to dine outside on christmas eve and asked for candles. They didn't just give us candles but a romantic set-up of floating candles and pink roses on a pot with water. Felt like it's valentines!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Maria N
Malolos, Philippines
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Where do I start? The rooms are more than perfect, it's very clean and neatly arranged. I love the garden because I smoke. Their bathroom is so great and me and my partner thought that that's how our bathroom should be if we decide to have a house built. The staff is very friendly and more than helpful. They accomodate everything and provided stuff that we need that most hotels won't. I would recommend this hotel! Kudos to the management and staff.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BuddhaBear15
manila
Reviewed August 29, 2011

There are a 1001 things I’d like to say about Anisabel and I don’t know where to begin.

When I checked TripAdvisor for the recommended places to stay in Davao, Anisabel immediately got my attention. I was supposed to check in at either Marco Polo, Microtel or Waterfront Insular but a little voice kept nagging me to try Anisabel. So I did. The moment I saw the place, I had second thoughts if I made the right choice. The façade of the building is nondescript. It looks like a house which the owners decided to convert into a hotel. Inside, the check-in counter is in the same place as the restaurant (which people say serves really good food). There are nice artworks here and there but I couldn’t say I’m impressed. From the resto/reception area, I had to cross the small courtyard where a couple of tables were set up. It reminded me of the hostels I’ve been to. My room is on the ground floor of a two-storey apartment painted a very loud fuchsia color. Again, not very inviting. But the moment I opened my room, I wanted to do a little jig. It is beautiful. For P2,500 a night, it is definitely worth the price. The foyer is nicely decorated, There’s even a chandelier hanging over my very comfortable queen-sized bed. The room has a 32-inch LCD TV with cable, tea and coffee making facilities, and complimentary bottled water. It’s a pity there is no ref.

But what really made me happy is the huge bathroom which is only separated from the bedroom by thick curtains. It also contains the closet, making it easier to change clothes after taking a bath. There is an iron (no ironing board though) and a hair dryer. There are the usual toilet amenities. I like the white rugs by the toilet bowl and the sink. The bath towel is a bit small but the bathrobe makes up for it.

The lighting is very nice and not at all glaring. I even noticed an emergency lamp on the wall in case of a power interruption. And to make one’s stay more relaxing, in lieu of a window, there’s a pocket garden enclosed in a bamboo fence to keep guests away from the prying eyes of the neighbors.

And have I mentioned that the room is immaculately clean? I think I can even lay down on the bathroom floor without qualms.

For the complimentary breakfast, there are a lot of choices. I picked the tomato, bell pepper and onion omelet. The serving was so generous that it practically occupied the whole plate. It came with three slices of toasted bread with butter. I could hardly finish it. To top it all, the waiter/ bell boy, even offered me three suman topped with grated cheese for free. I don’t know if they usually do that to the guests or if the waiter just felt bad that the chef added ham to my omelet (which I had to painstakingly remove since I don’t eat red meat). Anyway, that was such a heavy and hearty breakfast!

If the room is lovely, I couldn’t say anything less about the staff especially to that waiter/ bellboy who seemed to have a knack in knowing what I want. I guess his name is Ronald. He would help me with my stuff, hail a cab for me, give me an extension cord while I was struggling with my laptop, turn on the electric fan when it becomes hot, and offer me water. If that’s not service de luxe, I don’t know what to call that. I felt like I had my own butler.

My only lament is the poor wifi connection in the room. Outside, though, it is fast. During my stay there, it also happened that a party was being held in the courtyard which lasted until midnight. The noise could somehow be heard inside the room. For others, it might be a big turn off but for me, who was traveling solo, I found it comforting to know that I’m not alone.

Btw, Anisabel’s location is along the road that leads from the airport to the downtown area so it’s easy to get a taxi to either direction. It’s about 15 minutes to the airport, 7 minutes to the newly-built Abreeza mall and about another 15 minutes to the city proper depending on traffic. Nothing interesting nearby though. I saw one convenience store in front but nothing more since it is in a residential district.

Nevertheless, I’ll definitely go back to Anisabel when I return to Davao that I even recommended it to my colleagues. I love the place so I’m giving it the rating it deserves.

Room Tip: request for corporate rate if possible
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank gold1109
alibaba45, Owner at Anisabel Suites, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
We are truly grateful for your comments and observations of Anisabel Suites. We value customer service and your comments provide us the basis to improve on this. Indeed, we will strive to give utmost comfort and service to our valued guests, like you. We hope to see you again in your next visit at Anisabel Suites, and rest assured that we will provide you better facilities and improved service as our returning valued guest. Maraming salamat po.
Makati City
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Lovely rooms, quiet place, nice ambiance, very professional staff and delicious food from Mamu Resto Bar. What else can you ask for? will definitely go back again. Love their bathroom.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank RochelleJoy
Bournemouth, England
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Upon entering Anisabel Suites I was greated by very polite and professional staff that advised me that there had been an alteration to my booking and that the room rated quoted on the phone was actually being reduced due to a calculation error !! that was a first for me.

The reception area and small restaurant are very well maintained and the decor of high standard. The rooms are of excellent size and come with all modern appliances. The food was very good and the room service was very prompt with no additional charge.

The hotel is ideal for romantic get-aways, business or leisure traveller. Please note the hotel is located outside of the main city center but taxis are easy to find and very affordable.

I think what sets this hotel apart from the others that I have stayed in within Davao is the outstanding service which is very hard to find in Davao.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank gawny1
Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed April 15, 2011

12th day of April was our first wedding anniversary of my beloved husband. We decided to spend the night together in this hotel. Their outside architecture was great that the design alone is inviting. Upon entering, a staff approached and politely greeted us. The interior design suggests a cozy and pleasant ambiance. The staffs were incredibly great, that they made our 3-day stay the best. The manager of the hotel sent a complimentary cake to our room that had cute designs of hearts that made me feel more romantic and a lettering that says "Happy Wedding Anniversary". The rooms of the hotel are very clean and comfortable. It's really a great experience staying in Anisabel Suites. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple