“A Very Enjoyable Experience”

Villa Escudero Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in San Pablo City
“A Very Enjoyable Experience”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Villa Escudero is located a couple of hours from Metro Manila (depending on the traffic) and it's a very pleasant day tour. This coconut plantation that opened to the general public as a resort has the first hydroelectric plant on the Philippines and, by strolling around, you can see very interesting aspects about the Filipino culture. The high point of the trip is the restaurant located in the waterfalls, created by the hydroelectric. No, you didn't misunderstand: it's a restaurant where the tables are located in the river, right in front of the waterfalls. Even if the food is not that amazing, the experience alone, eating with the cold water on your feet, listening to the relaxing sound of the waterfall, is simply amazing. Completely worth the visit! <3

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank tksato

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed January 24, 2014

The former coconut estate welcomes guests in rustic bungalows and idyllic natural sorroundings near artificial lake. Beside peace and quite we have got romantic evening serenades by local singers and on Saturday and Sunday cultural show, which is really worth a visit. Lunch ứas served in the middle of the river and next to the waterfall quite unique. If you dont like it you can still enjoy your meal at the river bank. Museum is a mix of religius, ethnographic and war items.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank izi f
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Ist time I saw this place was wayback 1985.We were here as pre-requisite for GSP(Girl Scout of the Phils.)during my h.s. days.Since then,I fell in love with this remarkably beautiful nature resort.I promised myself that one day I would come back for more.True enough,I went back here twice already with different accomplices.Ist with my closest friends on the first quarter of 2011.Then with my family and close relatives on June,2012.
Accomodation was truly unique,made up entirely of indigenous stilts houses.No television nor WIFI,simply to enjoy nature at its best!We accomodated their river units,by the way.
The thing that attracted me most was the different types of rides which will bring visitors to various places around the resort.We chose the carabao ride which gave us a more rare transpo whilst feeling close to nature.During the ride,we were serenaded by staffs seated at the last row of the cart..Along the way,one will be mesmerized looking at the statues of men,women and children.All dressed in traditional barong and saya.Each cluster of statues depicting a typical Filipino way of life.Such a great subject for photography indeed.
Their pools were all crystal clean.Lifeguard informed me that it's not being treated with any chemicals or whatsoever.
Highlight of this resort is the buffet lunch which is being served in their man-made waterfalls.Imagine,fresh spring water running over your feet while indulging on local dishes....what more can I ask for!!!!
Unfortunately,we weren't able to watched the whole show which the receptionist herself strongly recommended.We were overwhelmed trying their bamboo rafts and swimming that we missed many of the show's best part.Furthermore,museum was a very educational tour for all of us,though we were not allowed to bring any camera inside.
Their buffet breakfast was the best I've ever had.I allowed myself to bloat and completely forgotten the word..."moderation"!Ha ha ha!Their buffet dinner and lunch were just fine,I didn't like the choices that much.
Pardon for this late review,can't even find the option for my date of travel.So,I just clicked on Feb.2013.All the images were actually taken on June 2012.

Room Tip: River units are the best,all are located beside the mystical looking river.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Haydee711
Philippines
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Our family had a reunion here last January 2013.

I've been here a couple of times so i know exactly what to find inside. But its quite long ago. So this visit i was surprised to see the improvements in some areas.

Still the favorite part is the lunch at the waterfalls. Having to visit this place with my american boyfriend is his introduction to Filipino culture. The farm at the entrance, the buffaloes on arrival, the harana, and the traditional food at the waterfalls. He was so pleased and he enjoyed his food by naka kamay. And he was also entertained by the traditional bandurya songs and dance production.

Thank you and continue to improve.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Yogi_traveller207
Baguio, Philippines
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I recommend Villa Escudero as one of the best family destinations, especially for expats who want to see what Tagalog farm life is like, or balikbayans who would want to "trace their heritage" and see what life was like in the countryside. The entire estate looks so picturesque and relaxing - it's a "heaven" for nature photographers. There are a lot of activities offered - both for the active (hiking, bike tour - you may bring your bikes or rent some, raft rides) and for those who appreciate a more leisurely pace (cultural dance performances, carabao cart ride, museum tour, and fruit picking!). The museum tour alone would take most of an afternoon (or morning) - and here one would appreciate how daily life was in the past 2 centuries through the items collected by the Escudero family (clothes, school items, jewelry, accessories, appliances - even iron diving gear!). Best lunchtime venue would be at the Waterfall restaurant where you could literally cool your heels after hiking - the dining tables are set near a live waterfall, with benches set on the shallow brook.Meals were all sumptuous and authentic - our folks loved the Lechon. The cottages were spacious, clean and cozy. Service is warm and excellent, the staff were very helpful in their suggestions about the activities offered.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank kindredfreedom
International
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Villa Escudero is a walk down memory lane! While some parts do feel a bit old now the experience is funnily heightened by that. The buffaloes on arrival; the lovely and rustic bungalows on the water with geckos running around, the bamboo raft paddling experience and of course the famous lunch at the waterfalls with lechon, kids running everywhere and more. Certainly not your run-of-the-mill holiday destinations but, for me, one place I simply can not stop going back to!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank S E
Tarlac, Tarlac, Philippines
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My friends and i stayed here last October 5 to 6, 2013. From Tarlac to Villa Escudero, we traveled 6 hours and when we arrived at the place, we were greeted courteously. They let us check in on our room (Gumamela D) at 1pm even if their check in time is at 5pm. Our room was clean and we have a basket full of complimentary fruits and drinks. The food served at their restaurant and at the buffet is delicious.

You will be amazed at their museum.

The Waterfalls Restaurant is a MUST-SEE place. It is a different experience dining near a waterfalls.

I must say our long travel and cost of money is definitely worth it. Two thumbs up for their multi-talented, courteous and approachable employees.

Something they need to improve on:
The Souvenir Shop, there's not much to buy in there.

Room Tip: For "pasalubong", i suggest you buy the Yema Cake of Kalahi's Bakery at San Pablo City...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
No photo provided
Casa Palmera Hotel
#2 of 4 in San Pablo City
Casa de Obando B&B at Sulyap Gallery Cafe

Been to Villa Escudero Resort? Share your experiences!