“Still amazing as it is before”

Villa Escudero Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in San Pablo City
Makati, Philippines
“Still amazing as it is before”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

The last time that I went to Villa Escudero was when I was still in college. I am so pleased to see that the management was able to maintain the beauty and cleanliness of this resort.
We enjoyed the carabao-drawn cart ride accompanied by musicians and singers serenading us with Filipino folk songs on the way to the resort proper. Though the waterfalls restaurant is not that appealing anymore, the food is great. Nature as its best.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ph2AAguilera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

My husband was happy to be transported by the caretella drawn by a carabao to the reception area.. Much more he was amazed of the singing ladies rendering traditional songs as we go along.

New to him but not to me. My second time to be here but that was more than two decades ago. The food was great and the lunch by the man-made waterfalls was his wonderful experience too. Traditional dances was great and very entertaining. The museum was equally great.

Not cheap but it just compensate everything. Enjoyable and wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Choose the cottage by the river. It is more nice there.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MijnlieverdFH
City of San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

We had a great time in the site, it was so wonderful, our balikbayan friends was so amused of the man made waterfall where foods are being served. They likewise loved the boating in a ramp, so exciting, when they plan to return next year, happily to say that we will going back to VILLA ESCUDERO, where they met MUTYA and MADONNA, your carabao conveying transport.....

Room Tip: We only a day of tour there at villa escudero, we arrived 10 am and left at about 4:30 pm
Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank da_alvarez01
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

It is not cheap but it was worth the money. We also had the meal with our feet in the water but for me it was not the (only) highlight. This place is a piece of history and if you take time for a tour you can see the housing area of the staff families, the church of the residents, the concert hall and the wedding chapel but also the former school building which is falling apart now. A highlight is also the museum, packed with items collected for years by the owners. We also watched a show of how coconuts are harvested and processed further. The whole plantation area is nice like a garden and maintained very well. There is even a hotel by we didn’t stay there. Finally, the Villa Escudero is a destination to learn and enjoy on your trip in Manila’s South.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank vonthemove
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

We only spent one night here but I wish we would have stayed longer. The garden cabanas are very quaint and spacious. No a/c but you really don't need it.

We too did the bamboo rafting and bought bamboo poles for dock fishing. A really fun and unique activity.

The lunch under the waterfall is a cool experience but really, really crowded and loud. The kids had a great time chasing fish in the water.

The grounds themselves are spacious and well maintained and we took many nice walks. The buffet food wasn't great but not terrible either.

On our way out we took a side jaunt to the village where the workers all live; it was lovely and a little oasis itself. There's a beautiful church there that you should definitely see if you're into that.

Room Tip: The bungalows over the water look amazing. We didn't stay in one but we will next time.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank KB B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

i was so lucky to find this place especially now that I havent been to the phillipines for more than a decade. The filipino hospitality and the ambiance made me realized I miss my country a lot. What I cant understand are pinoys who didnt read in the internet what villa escudero can offer then whine a lot and cry like a baby lol, hey man grow up! Before u go somewhere read the website first ok. At least u learned a lesson. Be prepared next time.

• Stayed April 2011
6 Thank gitara
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

We (Family with one 3 year old) needed to kill a day whilst in Manila. I had found this Resort whilst searching on the internet. It takes approx 2.5 hours drive from Mall of Asia along the SLEX (Express). We left the hotel around 6:40 am to beat the traffic. Our new hire car with driver soon had us their althought the traffic once off the expressway bogs down to a crawl.

Upon arrival you need to checkin at the day tour reception area. Speedy processing & a free iced tea drink. All instructions are issued verbally in Tagalog. Would be nice to get a phamplet or leaflet in english explaining how things work with some maps of where to go & what to see whilst at the resort....I'd even pay for for a little souvenir booklet for the trip.
To get around you sort of follow other people & ask questions of the staff.

First stop was the Museum....as it's sort of right near the resort entry point. NOTE..children under 7 are not permitted entry...not even if carried nursed by their parents. So if you are a family with children under 7 one parent has to occupy the small child while the other parent browses the museum. There is a small, but run down, playground area to the left of the museum for this purpose. You could spend days looking at all the stuff in the museum...just so much to see...that it spoils it that the family has to be split...makes the parent in the museum sort of hurry through. Would also be nice to buy a tour guide book for the museum with some detail on the exhibits. Very few of the exhibits have description signs so it's left to your imagination as to what they are.

Next stop the free Carabao ride to the pool/lunch area. No signs on when the rides leave though so you sort of wait until one is departing on hop aboard. Nice ride serenaded by some singing instrument playing staff. Our Carabao was a pink (I think albino) one. Very docile. Nice ride. Once at the ride stop you hop off & sort of guess where to go or what to do...or ask questions. We went to the falls area...very nice but a bit spoilt by the strong hum of the nearby diesel generator. Sort of funny to hear a loud diesel generator right under the old (but not working) hydro electric turbines. Pity they can't restore the hydro electric turbines...would add to the nostalgia.

Whilst exploring the falls you notice the tables in the water & what seems like some food being cooked on the side. It turned out this was the lunch area (no signs saying this though). Whilst in the falls area people started scrambling to the food cooking area...seems like lunch was to be served. We followed the flock & had lunch. Very nice & abundant food..baked fish..chicked, salads, beef, & dessert (inc endless supplies of banannaque).
Beverages...no coffee/tea or diet softdrinks. Free drinking water, alcohol for purchase. Hundreds of coconuts around...all piled near the various beverage area's...so I thought I'll have a nice fresh buko juice. Sorry...we don't have any instruments to open the coconuts. So I stuck to the water rather than the sugar water softdrinks.

Lunch finishes...I ate too much :(. So what next??? My wife overheard sometning about river canoe rides....so we go up to the pool area & ask. Yes you can do river raft rides...BUT children under 7 can't go on the rides...so not wanting to split the family again we decided to play in the pool area...and yes amazingly children under 7 can go in the smaller pools.

But before enjoying the pool we thought we would explore the rest of the area....especially the accomodation area as we might be interested in an overnight stay next holiday. So no signs say you can't we do a bit of exploring. The waterside units looks very nice. Once was vacated & in the process of being cleaned so we peer in from the entrance door. Very nice deck & hammock overlooking the water. Seems sleeping areas are up top. Wonder if they are airconditioned?? So we ask a staff member we see a little later. Yes the waterside units are.
Yes this would be a place I would definately consider next holiday.
We explore the grounds a bit more & then head back to the pool area.

By this time being a caffine addict we ask were I could get a tea or a coffee. Yes no problem...I can get one in the coffee shop. I have my fresh coffee & then want to sue the male comfort room. I find one...but the door is locked. Someone comes running...sorry sir...it's broken...you can use one in the pool area.

After some time in the pool we decide we might head back to manila so we go back to the carabao ride area to catch a ride back. 20 or 30 people are waiting so we sit & wait. about 15 minutes later an electric buggy ride turns up & collects some people & heads off. We could not fit on so we continued waiting. Another 5 or 10 minutes later a carabao ride turns up so we pile on. My wife overhears that this is not going back but on to the folk dance show at 2 pm. What folk dance show?? No one had told us about this - would be nice to be handed a schedule of activites when paying the entrance fee. We decide we don't want to go to the folk dance show so thinking all the electric & carabao rides would be going only to there we decide to walk back to the entrance. We see the electric ride speed past seemingly heading back but are unable to flag it down. Luckily the guard sees our plight & stops the ride. We hop on & return to the starting point.

At various times you see what seems a professional photographer around taking shots of the tourists (including us). I imagine you can buy the shots later when you leave but who knows...no one tells you how it all works...not even the photographer.

My summing up...very nice...just enjoyed the lunch...feet dangling in the cool flowing water. Supply some optional schedule of activities, museum guides...a bit more maintenance...some of the gardens & lawns are run down. Maybe even a paid child minding for the under 7 children at the museum or river rafting area.

I look forward to do a review of the accomodation next holiday

Room Tip: only did a day trip
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Casa de Obando B&B at Sulyap Gallery Cafe
Tahanan ni Aling Meding
Tahanan ni Aling Meding
#4 of 9 in San Pablo City

Been to Villa Escudero Resort? Share your experiences!