“Casa San Pablo - Generous Hospitality”

Casa San Pablo B & B
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I spent two nights and 2.5 days at Casa San Pablo in June 2013, attending the Applied Improvisation Network's Asian regional conference. The venue is a delight, with an interesting range of creatively designed and decorated rooms, all set in a peaceful, quiet green landscape. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, and I enjoyed hearing their stories about the history of the family-owned property and the coconut industry in The Philippines.

There are newer reviews for Casa San Pablo B & B

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We held our Strategic Planning session at Casa San Pablo and it was the perfect choice for working with some relaxation. The green surrounding, peaceful ambiance and excellent food all made it an exceptional experience for the team.

Food was the best part of our Casa stay. The set combinations were well thought of, blending perfectly for each meal. Servings were generous and the dining staff took good care of us.

Rooms are quaint and decorated with taste and personal touches. Room 2 has a cute bathroom! My only complaint was that the single beds were a bit too narrow.

All in all, I would still say that Casa San Pablo was a perfect fit for our needs. I would definitely recommend it for either a quiet, restful weekend or a work-related outing.

Thank you Casa San Pablo!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank santi331
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed two days at Casa San Pablo while attending the Applied Improvisation Network's Asia Conference. The main conference room (first floor near the pool) was comfortable, cool and large enough to fit our whole group. I found the rolling park-like landscape beautiful, and was comforted by the wooden textures inside each of the unique buildings. I slept soundly in the loft of our spacious, high-ceilinged cabin. And I learned so much about the origins of coconut oil, coconut flakes, coconut vinegar, coconut milk, and everything else coconut on An's very professional coconut tour.

Minor gripe:
I did find the conference room a little noisy; with all the fans and air conditioners going, it was sometimes hard to hear other people talk.

I enjoyed my stay and will recommend Casa San Pablo to other travellers.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
An A, Owner at Casa San Pablo B & B, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. We enjoyed taking you on the Casa San Pablo Native Cooking Tour. Your enthusiasm and curiosity plus the multi-cultural mix of the group really made that run both fun and interesting. We hope to see you at Casa San Pablo again soon.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Best there is in the bed & breakfast business part of the South side (Laguna) of The Philippines!!!!had a grand time experiencing the warm hospitality of the owners themselves--the food was awesome-the tour and the very informative presentation about the tree of life-The Coconut. I will return and tag my family along next visit! see you again soon Casa San Pablo!

1  Thank Auh A
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We're here right now and enjoying every minute of our stay regardless of the rain..RONY the front desk officer in charge made us feel welcome and went along to bring us to the rooms 1 and 2 place is really nice so relaxing... rooms are a bit old but still the designs are nice and fully airconditioned it will be better if they have scented candles to really make it special..lunch was served with a great taste and we asked for a special kind of serving that they granted...the BEST so far is the service and lookin for the most of our stay...still have to watch out...but to top it all as of today is when they gave my niece a complimentary big red ribbon cake for her bday she was so happy and we're all smiles coz we even brought part of the big cake in the room haha what the hell of treat it was nice..thanks to csp..its been a lovely day...

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Livefreely27
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I think that I went to a Casa San Pablo different from the one a recent reviewer described in flagrant details.

Casa San Pablo certainly delivered on what it promised - the feeling of being in a country getaway where the worries you left behind in Manila hardly ever cross your mind. You'll get lost, figuratively, of course, in CSP's sheer beauty, bucolic charm, great food (sorry but I LOVE their leche flan!), and service.

The hammocks I vividly remember because when we went stargazing later in the evening when the whole of San Pablo was already in slumber on our first night there gave me goosebumps for I felt like Nora Aunor counting stars in the movie "Bilangin ang Bituin sa Langit " - my mom's a Noranian, you see. "Twas an amazing experience.

Then there was one of the pools with a bridge (I had to request a friend to take a snap), the friendly staff who would always ask us if we were enjoying our stay and if we needed anything else, the list goes on.

My friends and I went to Casa San Pablo expecting to find an escape but what we got was a little piece of heaven on earth. I swear that I had never slept as soundly as I did when I was in Casa before Christmas last year.

The books that were displayed in the main dining hall were a bookworm's delight. I remember asking one of the waiters to help me get a book - something on the Museum of Modern Arts (in New York) or MOMA - that was on the topmost part of the shelf. And the guy did it without hesitation, and with a ready smile.

The art pieces and quaint objects that were strategically placed around the place were also very charming.

I had since spread the word to city-dwellers like myself. And just this minute, I suddenly missed Casa San Pablo. I dream of going back, with more friends in tow, to savor its beauty, peace, and lingering appeal.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank grace b
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I couldn't believe the reviews that I'd been reading about this place because it seems as if I went to an entirely different bed and breakfast! Upon walking in, we saw that one of the pools was without water and was going to undergo renovation. We thought "fine" because there was another pool anyway. Unfortunately, that pool had murky water that you couldn't see the bottom of the pool through - a far cry from the clear pool water that was on Trip Advisor photos. We didn't even consider swimming anymore and felt that we should have been informed upon reservation that one of the pools was out of order.

Upon reaching our room, we discovered that its bathroom was plain old and gross (no wonder its picture wasn't on their website), with mold stains around the corners and chipped tiles. We had to request for a change of room because we couldn't bear the thought of showering or using the toilets there. I acknowledge that everything looked quaint and pretty, but upon closer inspection, we saw that there was a lot of dust under the beds and around the room. When we moved one of the side tables, there was a lot of dirt and stryofoam balls under it.

Come lunch time, I was looking forward to the famed meals at CSP that people spoke of, and was surprised to see, for starters, that the soup was instant. I would know from the taste of it because I've used that kind at home. The delicious meal I was expecting turned out to be simple lumpia, paper-thin fish fillet with no dipping sauce, and roast chicken. They might as well have fried everything! The meal was nothing special and I could've eaten better at home. Even their leche flan was the type that you could buy at the market at 3/P100. The worst part was that our drink was plain water. I mean, a simple juice or iced tea would have made the meal more complete, followed by plain tea or coffee. What we got for drinks was only pitchers and pitchers of cold water.

A dank smell had crept into (or revived itself in) the rooms by the time we returned from lunch. This was because we'd turned off the air revitalizer that was filled with essential oils and smothered our nostrils upon checking in (no wonder it was there).

There were times that we needed assistance in the rooms but never got it, because even after searching the grounds for a CSP employee, there was no one around! We were already getting frustrated by this time, because it seemed as if we had to fend for ourselves around the place. When I went out of the room at 6PM to inform whoever I could grab hold of that we wanted to eat early, I found no one. The grounds were eerily lit with candles, which were a nice touch, but let's face it: guests would still prefer a human being and not inanimate objects to greet them. I wish that CSP would have the consideration of installing a bell that we could ring to alert employees that we need something. DInner was also forgettable, served with another kind of instant soup, two fried dishes (lechon kawali and bangus), sauteed squash and string beans. and lots and lots of water.

Breakfast was slightly improved if only for the fact that there was complimentary hot chocolate and coffee, but only for a single serving (really, how much does a cup of coffee cost?). Food presentation was far different from what was shown on their website and Trip Advisor reviews. Did the chef resign?

They had bikes which can be used for free, but the chains are rusty and the bikes themselves are quite old. The hammocks were taken down when we got there, and were only put up after we asked TWICE. Bring your own towels because the ones they provide are old and threadbare. The hand towel in the dining area was even from a hotel, which I found odd. On a positive note, the waiters gave excellent service when they were actually present, and the rooms airconditioners worked very well. There's not much to do at CSP, but if you like to sit in a corner and read a book, this must be the place for you. Just make sure to tell them to clean the room very well before you check in. The best rooms are Rooms 12, 13, 16, 17 and 18

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank maria_berenguel
An A, Owner at Casa San Pablo B & B, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We are certain many of our future guests will find your comments helpful. We are so sorry your stay was a disappointment. It makes us very sad to have our guests come away dissatisfied.

Our upper pool is under repair and you are right that we should have given you due warning. The pool water turned murky week of May 20 and our efforts at filtering could not clear it up. We called a pool expert and it seems a shift in the ground has created cracks in our pipes, which will need major repairs. We edited our website to indicate only one pool is available, but learning from your feedback, we will make the announcement more explicit and alert our future guests on the situation while repair is going on.

We truly regret that you were disappointed in our home-style food. And your guess is close to the truth: nobody resigned, but our kitchen manager did have an accident that put her out of commission and everyone else in distress. Still, that is no reason for the “paper thin fish fillets” which are called tilapitos to be served without our traditional dip of inihaw na kamatis (roasted tomatoes with garlic in sweet soy sauce) or without our pulot patis (patis with honey). We apologize.

We are also sorry if our leche flan was not to your liking. It is a favorite among our guests, in fact, many have requested for us to package these for retail. We try our best to stay true to our hometown cooking while giving you value at promo rates. We do offer an ala carte menu for guests who, perhaps like you, may want more than what is served.

We assure you that cleanliness and good service are very important to us and we have received praise from many of our guests for these. We take your feedback seriously and are investigating our rooms and our personnel. We assure you of immediate action. Thank you for recommending the specific rooms you found satisfactory.

If you come back to our B&B, we would love to have the opportunity to chat with you directly, so kindly let us know that you are coming and ask for either Boots, An, or Vinya. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Pablo City
#2 of 4 in San Pablo City
Nurture Wellness Village
Nurture Wellness Village
#1 of 26 in Tagaytay

Been to Casa San Pablo B & B? Share your experiences!