“Wonderful”

Casa San Pablo B & B
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We're here right now and enjoying every minute of our stay regardless of the rain..RONY the front desk officer in charge made us feel welcome and went along to bring us to the rooms 1 and 2 place is really nice so relaxing... rooms are a bit old but still the designs are nice and fully airconditioned it will be better if they have scented candles to really make it special..lunch was served with a great taste and we asked for a special kind of serving that they granted...the BEST so far is the service and lookin for the most of our stay...still have to watch out...but to top it all as of today is when they gave my niece a complimentary big red ribbon cake for her bday she was so happy and we're all smiles coz we even brought part of the big cake in the room haha what the hell of treat it was nice..thanks to csp..its been a lovely day...

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Livefreely27

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I think that I went to a Casa San Pablo different from the one a recent reviewer described in flagrant details.

Casa San Pablo certainly delivered on what it promised - the feeling of being in a country getaway where the worries you left behind in Manila hardly ever cross your mind. You'll get lost, figuratively, of course, in CSP's sheer beauty, bucolic charm, great food (sorry but I LOVE their leche flan!), and service.

The hammocks I vividly remember because when we went stargazing later in the evening when the whole of San Pablo was already in slumber on our first night there gave me goosebumps for I felt like Nora Aunor counting stars in the movie "Bilangin ang Bituin sa Langit " - my mom's a Noranian, you see. "Twas an amazing experience.

Then there was one of the pools with a bridge (I had to request a friend to take a snap), the friendly staff who would always ask us if we were enjoying our stay and if we needed anything else, the list goes on.

My friends and I went to Casa San Pablo expecting to find an escape but what we got was a little piece of heaven on earth. I swear that I had never slept as soundly as I did when I was in Casa before Christmas last year.

The books that were displayed in the main dining hall were a bookworm's delight. I remember asking one of the waiters to help me get a book - something on the Museum of Modern Arts (in New York) or MOMA - that was on the topmost part of the shelf. And the guy did it without hesitation, and with a ready smile.

The art pieces and quaint objects that were strategically placed around the place were also very charming.

I had since spread the word to city-dwellers like myself. And just this minute, I suddenly missed Casa San Pablo. I dream of going back, with more friends in tow, to savor its beauty, peace, and lingering appeal.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank grace b
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I couldn't believe the reviews that I'd been reading about this place because it seems as if I went to an entirely different bed and breakfast! Upon walking in, we saw that one of the pools was without water and was going to undergo renovation. We thought "fine" because there was another pool anyway. Unfortunately, that pool had murky water that you couldn't see the bottom of the pool through - a far cry from the clear pool water that was on Trip Advisor photos. We didn't even consider swimming anymore and felt that we should have been informed upon reservation that one of the pools was out of order.

Upon reaching our room, we discovered that its bathroom was plain old and gross (no wonder its picture wasn't on their website), with mold stains around the corners and chipped tiles. We had to request for a change of room because we couldn't bear the thought of showering or using the toilets there. I acknowledge that everything looked quaint and pretty, but upon closer inspection, we saw that there was a lot of dust under the beds and around the room. When we moved one of the side tables, there was a lot of dirt and stryofoam balls under it.

Come lunch time, I was looking forward to the famed meals at CSP that people spoke of, and was surprised to see, for starters, that the soup was instant. I would know from the taste of it because I've used that kind at home. The delicious meal I was expecting turned out to be simple lumpia, paper-thin fish fillet with no dipping sauce, and roast chicken. They might as well have fried everything! The meal was nothing special and I could've eaten better at home. Even their leche flan was the type that you could buy at the market at 3/P100. The worst part was that our drink was plain water. I mean, a simple juice or iced tea would have made the meal more complete, followed by plain tea or coffee. What we got for drinks was only pitchers and pitchers of cold water.

A dank smell had crept into (or revived itself in) the rooms by the time we returned from lunch. This was because we'd turned off the air revitalizer that was filled with essential oils and smothered our nostrils upon checking in (no wonder it was there).

There were times that we needed assistance in the rooms but never got it, because even after searching the grounds for a CSP employee, there was no one around! We were already getting frustrated by this time, because it seemed as if we had to fend for ourselves around the place. When I went out of the room at 6PM to inform whoever I could grab hold of that we wanted to eat early, I found no one. The grounds were eerily lit with candles, which were a nice touch, but let's face it: guests would still prefer a human being and not inanimate objects to greet them. I wish that CSP would have the consideration of installing a bell that we could ring to alert employees that we need something. DInner was also forgettable, served with another kind of instant soup, two fried dishes (lechon kawali and bangus), sauteed squash and string beans. and lots and lots of water.

Breakfast was slightly improved if only for the fact that there was complimentary hot chocolate and coffee, but only for a single serving (really, how much does a cup of coffee cost?). Food presentation was far different from what was shown on their website and Trip Advisor reviews. Did the chef resign?

They had bikes which can be used for free, but the chains are rusty and the bikes themselves are quite old. The hammocks were taken down when we got there, and were only put up after we asked TWICE. Bring your own towels because the ones they provide are old and threadbare. The hand towel in the dining area was even from a hotel, which I found odd. On a positive note, the waiters gave excellent service when they were actually present, and the rooms airconditioners worked very well. There's not much to do at CSP, but if you like to sit in a corner and read a book, this must be the place for you. Just make sure to tell them to clean the room very well before you check in. The best rooms are Rooms 12, 13, 16, 17 and 18

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank maria_berenguel
An A, Owner at Casa San Pablo B & B, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We are certain many of our future guests will find your comments helpful. We are so sorry your stay was a disappointment. It makes us very sad to have our guests come away dissatisfied.

Our upper pool is under repair and you are right that we should have given you due warning. The pool water turned murky week of May 20 and our efforts at filtering could not clear it up. We called a pool expert and it seems a shift in the ground has created cracks in our pipes, which will need major repairs. We edited our website to indicate only one pool is available, but learning from your feedback, we will make the announcement more explicit and alert our future guests on the situation while repair is going on.

We truly regret that you were disappointed in our home-style food. And your guess is close to the truth: nobody resigned, but our kitchen manager did have an accident that put her out of commission and everyone else in distress. Still, that is no reason for the “paper thin fish fillets” which are called tilapitos to be served without our traditional dip of inihaw na kamatis (roasted tomatoes with garlic in sweet soy sauce) or without our pulot patis (patis with honey). We apologize.

We are also sorry if our leche flan was not to your liking. It is a favorite among our guests, in fact, many have requested for us to package these for retail. We try our best to stay true to our hometown cooking while giving you value at promo rates. We do offer an ala carte menu for guests who, perhaps like you, may want more than what is served.

We assure you that cleanliness and good service are very important to us and we have received praise from many of our guests for these. We take your feedback seriously and are investigating our rooms and our personnel. We assure you of immediate action. Thank you for recommending the specific rooms you found satisfactory.

If you come back to our B&B, we would love to have the opportunity to chat with you directly, so kindly let us know that you are coming and ask for either Boots, An, or Vinya. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I visited Casa San Pablo back in 2009 for a romantic weekend escape, and we had such a fabulous time that we decided to bring his whole family last week for an overnight stay.

There were 7 of us plus a baby so we took rooms 1 & 2 which accommodated us all very well. We loved the little mezzanine level upstairs and the bedroom alcove which gave some more privacy. The artwork in the rooms made it a special place to stay, and we loved to read about why those pieces of art were chosen. Those little touches were well thought of.

We enjoyed relaxing in the beautiful grounds of Casa San Pablo, especially the use of the lovely pool on a hot day.

The staff were really friendly and accommodating - and when we noticed a small problem in the room it was rectified immediately. The only downside was that when I asked for recommendations of places to eat, the staff weren't able to provide information - that is something that maybe the owners can work on. We did appreciate the pieces of paper with travel directions to the nearby attractions and restaurants - but maybe for visitors it would be a good idea to explain a little about those attractions.

Breakfast was tasty and the dining room was really nice, with more artwork to appreciate.

Overall, a great stay and we'll be back again for sure! The price was per head instead of room, but still good value.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank barefootprint
An A, Owner at Casa San Pablo B & B, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you for returning to Casa San Pablo. We are delighted that you brought your family this time. I am so sorry about not being able to help you with the nearby dining destinations. We are rather proud of all the delicious eating places in our area and we usually go to great lengths to point these out to our guests. Sadly, the staffer you spoke to must be new to our team. I do apologize. We will take immediate action by briefing our new crew members better and preparing detailed write ups on eating options in our website and as hand outs. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

After a day of bamboo rafting at Lake Pandin and Lake Yambo, shopping on the last day of "Tsinelas" Festival and dining at Arabella Italian Restaurant at Liliw, Laguna, then touring the nearby Sulyap Art Gallery and Restaurant, my husband and I together with my son and daughter retired at Casa San Pablo where we were booked for an overnight stay. At P1,700/head promo rate, Room 2 had a queen size bed, three single beds beside it and two single beds in the attic. For big groups, it has a door that connects the room to another room of the same size with a separate entrance and bathroom. Matchbox cars mounted on the walls reminded my husband and son of childhood days. I like the interiors and the furniture for their rustic and antique feature. The TV, air-conditioning unit, and wifi service provided relaxation options after a tiring day of touring the city and nearby areas. I enjoy the warm water in the two swimming pools up to early evening. Casa San Pablo is a wide, private family compound with bed and breakfast accommodations. The ancestral home sits in the middle of the property and a bike trail leads you to vacation homes of other family members built with wide open lawns under tall trees and far from the guest rooms. An early morning walk in this part of the resort brought back memories of un-fenced houses we saw during our vacation in the US. Our package included dinner, lunch and breakfast and since the whole family have started to diet, a full meal served at breakfast with crispy fried 'biya' and tablea chocolate drink, among others, was more than what we needed. There is one truly EXCELLENT SERVICE that really struck us: the owner Mr. Boots gave us a super-detailed road instructions on how to get to worth-going-to-places around the vicinity such as Ugo Bigyan Pottery in Tiaong, Quezon including but not limited to landmarks and distance by kilometers from one place to another. For tourists and guests who really want to maximize their vacation time, Casa San Pablo gave us not only comfort and fun, but also our money's worth.

Room Tip: If you wish complete privacy, ask for the rooms far from the restaurant.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pnaytraveller
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I first visited San Pablo about three years ago for work, and at first actually confused the province with the much nearer San Pedro Laguna, an oversight that nearly caused me to be late for my appointment. Anyway, I was struck by the simple beauty of the city and as a result, when my wife asked me where I'd like to spend the Holy Week with our kids, San Pablo was very high on my list. We did a quick Google-search of places to stay at Casa San Pablo showed up as, far and away, the best-reviewed by its visitors. We basically built a whole trip around our going there, visiting twelve churches between Maundy Thursday and Good Friday, all in the Rizal/Laguna area, and finally ending up in CSP on Saturday morning.

And boy, was it worth the trip! The pictures on the internet painting a pretty promising picture, but even they did not give the place justice. We stayed in room 18, a loft type room in which we and our three kids fit quite comfortably, with room to spare. Air-conditioning units on both floors ensured that we were well-insulated from the summer heat outside, and there was even a nice veranda to go with our mini-cottage.

What really struck me, though, was the personality of the place, so to speak. Our room was lined with posters of various pop-culture events, and sparingly but very tastefully decorated. If I may nitpick just a little I think it could have used a little more storage space, as our bags spent most of the time bunched up on the floor due to the absence of a closet to put them in, but apart from that the room was wonderfully comfortable, and with cable TV to keep us occupied we were more than happy with it.

Even better, though, was the fact that we didn't exactly spend all of our time in the room; the meticulously kept grounds, along which several hammocks are strewn, were simply beautiful, and the kid-friendly pool near the entrance of the resort was very inviting as well; the kids and I spent several hours there on two separate days! The food was very good, with a wonderful home-cooked vibe to it, and the servings were very, very generous.

Easily the highlight of the stay was the very personable, approachable staff, from the receptionist to the owners, Boots and An Alcantara, who walked up just about every guest in the place, including us, to ask us how we liked it. It is worth noting that the place was packed that weekend, so they had quite a lot of people to approach. That they took the time and effort to do so is testimony to their dedication to the comfort of their guests. That alone is worth five stars, but fortunately there was so much more to this place than that.

CSP also offered tours of San Pablo's seven lakes, of which my family and I have only seen one (Sampaloc Lake), but due to time constraints we were not able to avail of that particular perk. The good thing is, it's now something we can look forward to on our next visit.

Room Tip: We stayed at Room 18, and in terms of spaciousness, it's quite hard to beat.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JimArroyo
An A, Owner at Casa San Pablo B & B, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Casa San Pablo and for encouraging other people to come. I distinctly remember the time we spent chatting with you and your wonderful family over dinner. I appreciate your sharing with me the highlights of your trip to Sampaloc Lake. I also enjoyed having your boy play with our son and your kids participating so eagerly in the Easter Egg hunt. We look forward to seeing your family again and again in the future, especially when the new addition to your family arrives.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Our family stayed overnight for the Easter weekend and we were happy at Casa San Pablo. It wasn't perfect but it was good enough for our short stay. We had lunch-dinner-breakfast included in our package and the food was delicious. Although at times we feel that it wasn't enough to fill our tummy...esp. that food bought outside is not allowed and their snack menu is limited. Nevertheless the food was fine. We stayed in a family room and we have individual single beds. The room was spacious and bath had two separate shower/toilet (total 4)...However, the drain of both showers were not working properly, it kind of flooded the shower areas. We called someone to fix it but it wasn't entirely fixed as the shower areas were again flooded till we checked-out. At any rate, it was a comfortable family room. The ambiance is really a telling-point. It's a home away from home. Casa San Pablo was laid back, relaxing and refreshing. It had the perfect native touch, hammocks, tall trees, swimming pool, lots of wooden furnishings and friendly people. The entire staff was helpful and accommodating. We will definitely come back and hope to stay longer.

Room Tip: confirm room availability before depositing if you're with family, stay at either room 16 or 1...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Yan A

Thank you so much for your feedback. Upon reading your review, we acted quickly on your concerns about the amount of food and the drainage in your room. It is unfortunate that we didn't fully satisfy your appetite but we do hope you enjoyed the flavors of our cuisine cooked in traditional Laguna style. Our staff has acted on your report about the drain and the clog has been removed. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Pablo City
#2 of 4 in San Pablo City
The Farm at San Benito
The Farm at San Benito
#1 of 7 in Lipa City

Been to Casa San Pablo B & B? Share your experiences!