“The Worst Beach Resort Hotel Ever” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point

Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point
Toronto
“The Worst Beach Resort Hotel Ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

This resort advertises itself as having world class service. Don't believe it for one minute. The staff are totally brain dead and it is very evident that there is no staff training program whatsoever. You ask the staff a question and you get an open mouthed thousand yard stare. Domestic livestock mode. The food is way overpriced and absolutely awful, which immediately tells you they do not have an executive chef. I have eaten better meals in backstreet cafes. Don't bother with the food in the casino, its even worse than the hotel restaurant. There is nothing to do here and boredom sets in very quickly. The golf course is only 9 holes and it gets so windy that its impossible to play. This place is not worth the money they charge for the rooms. I would not stay here again unless there was a complete change of management.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
10 Thank JOHNNY2beers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2010

Food was average but the service was extremely slow. Facilities good although golf course is not complete yet.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Taure77
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

Stayed at in December 2009 and the first view of the sea was breathtaking! Rooms were very clean and the amenties, top quality. LCD TV, Ipod docks, speakers, and wired internet access. The restaurant was not so great. Since it was about the only thing that was there, you werent left much choice on your food. it would be great for kids, but only for staying a day or two since aside from the pool, there wasnt much to do. The beach is rocky and not so great.

I did not get to see the Casino and the golf course, but from what I hear its also good.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lmptorres
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

First thing that really jumps out on you is the hotel itself...It's REALLY gorgeous! They've got the Mediterranen vibe down pat. We were just waiting for Meryl Streep to come out and sing "Mama Mia". It seemed any where you stood, there was a breathtaking view in front of you, most especially from the multi level, garden-type, lounge area by the beach (which is about a 3 to 5 minute walk from the pool area). Sunsets are especially nice. Photographers wet dream. And to think I found it this nice, despite the fact that there were many dried up grassy areas (maybe coz they were saving on water or weather was just too hot?). Not sure if it was due to a promo, but we got a free 30 mins foot massage (which unfortunately only 20 mins) and a 2 x P300 gift certs for the casino (BUT you have to add a P300 bet together with the gift cert for it to count). The rooms are huge and the airconditioning strong. The bed is so nice, it makes you want to stay in and sleep the whole day. Pillows could've been nicer though. The service is quite good. All the staff were friendly and seemed concerned all the time. We got our room right away Food, apart from the pizza, was ok (3 stars). Pizza was yummy (stone baked). Pool was a bit dirty though and the beach was so-so (too rocky, sand was not fine, got deep right away). Because the beach was so-so, I would say a 3 day, 2 night stay would be enough. You can only spend so much time in the pool. Anything longer than this would be boring already.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Viciousmango
qc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2010

We've heard about Thunderbird Resorts from friends and how amazing it is. The pictures on the website were already pretty great, but nothing prepares you for the beauty of the place when you actually get there. It's inspired by Santorini of course, but combined with the natural beauty of the place, it is breathtaking

Another great point is that the staff were very friendly. Everywhere you go, you're greeted by the employees and some even ask if they can help you with anything

The food is also great (our favorite was the breakfast) although it was a bit expensive, so we couldn't sample everything

And of course, we couldn't stop taking pictures. It's the perfect place for photographers and photo addicts (like us!)

We're definitely going back again sometime this year!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank leojnavarro
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2010

nice hotel, but all staff need a good training, not at standard yet!

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank RobertC2
manila
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2010

On Dec 1, 2009, my wife and I went to this resort for our honeymoon. On our first morning, we went out for a swim. When we got back, we were surprised that our room was broken into and our things got stolen. My laptop, bag, and my wife's celphone were among the stolen items. I told the management about it and they did their "investigation". I asked to be moved to another room because we didnt feel safe in our room. That night, when we moved to our second room, the locks werent working and I was forced to push a table against the door to lock it. And get this, they even made me pay for my rooms. If thats not bad service, I do not know what is.

After a month of making me wait for the investigation, they told me that they did not find anything, and they are not willing to compensate me for my stolen items. They even blamed me for it. Saying it was my fault for not shoving my 15 inch laptop inside their tiny safe. They said they have enough security, but during my stay there, I did not see any roving guards or security cams. And the locks in their rooms are not working!

It was very fortunate that only material goods were stolen and my wife and I were not in any confrontation. Imagine if an intruder can come in and out of your room and do whatever they want? And what's worse, is you cannot expect any help from the resort.

Yes the resort is nice. Yes the resort is clean. Yes the rooms are nice. But what use is having the best amenities if you cannot even safe guard the security of your guests?

So would I recommend it? Not even to my worst enemy. For those who want more proof, I can show you our correspondences and affidavits. Please feel free to email me at yorkie2010@gmail.com.

There's nothing much I can do to retrieve my items and years of pictures and files, but if I can prevent someone from being a victim of this resort, then at least I can find comfort in that.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
La Union Blue Marlin Resort
#1 of 9 in San Fernando La Union
The Circle Hostel La Union
Puerto Del Sol Beach Resort

Been to Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point? Share your experiences!