“Good and Satisfactory”

Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - Poro Point
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Reception / Front desk - I wish they will be more "welcomey". Let me be clear that they are not rude, they answer my queries but i maybe expecting more from them because it's a luxury resort and they are the first one you talk to when you arrive.

Other personnel - They are all courteous from the restaurant crew to room service staff. They always greet and smile whenever you bump into them.

Room - It is clean and spacious, so is their bathroom. The usual of what is expected of a high end resort. Wifi is fast during our stay.

Food - The food is good. we have availed of their weekday promo that comes with free lunch and dinner beside the breakfast. We have dinner and lunch at Olive's restaurant. I was not expecting much because i have read mixed reviews of their food, and besides it's free. But I was surprised that their food is good, and not only that, they serve 4 course meal (soup, salad, main entree and dessert) for their "free" meals. The meal is even heavy enough for a guy with a more than average appetite like me.

Swimming Area - Their is swimming pool is nice and big enough. It is only about 4ft deep, which is good for those who are not good swimmers and family bonding. They also have a kiddie pool which is nice for those who have little ones like us. I think their beach area is not good enough for me. I am expecting a finer sand, it's our first time to go to a La Union beach, maybe it's the natural for that area. So If you really are a beach person and have kids who want to build sand castles, this one is not for you.

Overall Stay - I can say that our overall stay is good and satisfactory. I will recommend that you avail of their weekday promo if you can so that it will be more "sulit".

It might be a bonus if the resort can provide refreshing welcome drinks especially on hot summer days for the guests who come from a long trip or while they wait for their rooms to be done.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mapguydex
tbrphilippines, General Manager at Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - Poro Point, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Mapguydex:

Thank you for recommending our Weekday Promotion. Indeed, we always aim to provide value for money and nothing pleases us more than to receive a good feedback from a satisfied guest.

We have noted your comments and we will take these constructively as we continuously work on improving our services and amenities.

We do hope that you will consider us again in your future travel.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Chose to celebrate the hubby's birthday at Thunderbird Poro Point, and unfortunately, it wasn't an entirely satisfactory experience. We booked a suite at the El Mundo Wing because we are a group of 4. It is some meters away from the main building and the walk (I wish the distance was indicated on the website) was a chore for my old parents. Sure there's a shuttle that we could prolly use, but it's cumbersome to call front desk every time. Plus the wait can be a waste of precious minutes.

Our WiFi BARELY WORKED (IT guy wasn't able to fix it). And the poor celebrant had to walk all the way to the hotel lobby at midnight just to be able to receive calls via Skype. I dunno 'bout you, but when I pay P12,000+ for a room that doesn't have internet (and hotel claims it has), I get very frustrated. A lot of hostels that charge $10 for a room can do better.

As for our suite, we all loved it. It was very spacious and the bed's just right. Pillows felt heavenly.

The hotel's resident resto, Olives, is a gem. Its pizzas are highly recommended. By the way, the buffet brekkie is served here and has good choices. Continental brekkie fans will rejoice.

There was construction beside the pool at the time we went and it was a bit of an eyesore. Didn't look pretty in the pictures. Curious to see what's that going to be though.

Staff was lovely, that's a huge plus.

Not sure if we'd want to come back someday. But if there's a really sweet deal offered, perhaps we will.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank nomadwifey
tbrphilippines, General Manager at Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - Poro Point, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Nomadwifey,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a feedback.

We have noted your comments on our Wifi connection and the need for additional information in our website. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience these may have caused you.

The on-going construction are additional condotel rooms which will be more accessible to the pool and beach.

On the other hand, we are happy that you enjoyed our room, restaurant, food and our staff’ hospitality and service. We do hope that these are good reasons for you to consider visiting us again in the future.

We will keep you in our email loop for our special promotions. And you may also request for rooms in the hotel on your next stay.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

It was my bday when me and my boyfriend decided to celebrate it in TB. I was excited because it was my boyfriend's vacation gift to me. My boyfriend had arranged a surprise bday cake to me. Actually it was not a surprise because the staff are not well coordinated with each other. When we were eating breakfast my boyfriend went to the restroom and the receptionist at the restaurant approached me having the cake that my boyfriend had arranged. The lady was asking if the caje will be serve on that time thinking that it was my boyfriends bday (LOL). I said that they should ask my boyfriend because it was my bday and the lady felt sorry. I told my boyfriend what had happened and he was a little bit mad about it because it was not a surprise to me anymore. He said that he coordinated it well with the reservations as well as with the front officer and still it was not done properly. It was just a simple request, I suggest that the staff should be coordinated well and have endorsements so that it will not happen again. It went out like a surprise bday cake that I already know. But our overall experience was fine and the bed is the best!

Room Tip: rooms on the second floor are nice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Veronica B

Dear Gianica01,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a feedback.
We have noted your comment about the ‘surprise’ that fell short. However, we are happy to note that apart from this, you had a fine stay and you enjoyed our bed.
We do hope that you will consider us again in your future trips.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We held our company outing here at Poro Point. We've been eyeing on this resort since 2012 and good thing we finally manage to go there.
Expectations were meet. I have seen lots of great pictures all over the internet and good things about the said resort. I was one of the happiest people during our stay here, except for the long hours of travel all the way from Manila. Well, I must say that long hours of travel was worth it for the Santorini-ish experience that Poro Point has to offer.

ACCOMMODATION - We stayed in a Deluxe room in the main hotel. (North Wing). It was close enough at the main lobby and restaurant. No compalin about the room, it was very cozy and relaxing. Beddings are clean and neat, entire room is equipped with minibar (which offers a bit pricey items), personal ref, 3 phone lines, TV with full surround system. Restroom was loaded with bathroom essentials and towels for use.

FOOD- Inclusive in our accomodation is a breakfast and dinner buffet. Breakfast buffet offers a wide selection of food choices. They have a fusion of American and Filipino Breakfast plus salad bar and variety of drinks. Unlimited coffee is served as well plus you can ask their cook to make you a sunny side up egg or omelet. Dinner was great too, we have various viand for fish and pork and chocolate mousse/ fresh fruits for dessert. Buffet table offers
lots of sumptuous food which is hard to resist. If ever you checked in here, you can opt to have buffet for only Php770 per head. Also, they offer Japanese buffet as well. plus plus plus, I must say that while eating they have live band performances too.

STAFF- I used to travel in different places and I am really fascinated by friendly and accomodating staff. They really made a big difference if they made you feel well accommodated. Everyone in the resort is very approachable and offers you a smile during their duty. You can easily approach them for whatever needs you have. People in the pool area, restaurant and maintenance plus the security guards are way too awesome. Kudos to everyone for putting a smile on our faces during our stay here.

AMENITIES - Poro Point has a large swimming pool ideal for all ages. goodthing we aren't that far in the pool area so its a good thing I must say. Guests can also have access to beach. Well, beach is a bit far from our room so we have to walk few minutes before we reach the beach, but that's not a problem though except the beach is a bit rocky and not ideal for kids. Please take note to take supervision if you are swimming on the beach with your kids. Aside from that, they have a casino and golf course as well and they offer other outdoor activities like biking and in fact they have four units of bike which can be used by guests in the morning till afternoon. Plus volleyball/basketball court is free for use as well.

Overall stay in Poro Point was great. :) Price was a bit pricey for an overnight stay, but then again, you will get rewarded for a great and relaxing stay.
Will definitely go back here with family and friends. Thanks Poro Point for a remarkable company outing. Everyone enjoyed the outing.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Tinskiie,

Thank you for writing about us. It elates us that we have made your Company Outing a happy experience not only for you but your whole team.

Your good words inspire us to continue to do our best to provide all our guests with great service and amenities.

Please do consider returning here again soon, either for business or leisure.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I had an above average expectation from this hotel. With their prices i was expecting it to be smooth sailing. When i first made my reservation i requested our room to be ready by 1 pm if possible. i know the check in is 2 pm but if they can accommodate us with our request the better. We arrived at 1:45 pm, room isn't ready yet. I was ok with it since check in is at 2pm anyway. The front desk told us we can wait at the lounge and they will serve us welcome drinks. We waited for 25 minutes no welcome drinks. after that time i went to front desk to ask if our room is ready. He talked on his walkie talkie to verify our room, it was ready by then so i was quite happy. When i got to my room after freshening up i opened my laptop and discover no wifi. By that time i was unhappy but i called up cordially to the front desk about it. in few minutes we got a very slow internet connection it's annoying, u have to keep on refreshing over and over again. I got tired of trying to open my email to no avail then we went out to eat. We came back at around 9 pm, i tried to connect to wifi, nothing still. there was some signal for like 3 minutes and it will disappear. i called front desk again about it and they said they will fix it. In fairness the staff tried to fix it, i think but they can't. Now we go to the worst part. I ws taking a quick shower so we can eat breakfast, while i was shampooing my hair, it suddenly ran out of water argh! i screamed for my hubby and i had to use the mineral water to remove the shampoo. I was annoyed when i called the front desk. I told them no internet i can handle but no water?! What kind of hotel is this? They immediately said they will fix it. i said they better bec if not i am going to check out and will only pay for 1 day instead of 3. After few minutes they were able to fix the water shortage so we didn't check out. The staff are very nice and they seem to want to try to please the guests but after the experience with the wifi and worst the water shortage! yup it happened 2 consecutive days while i was taking the shower. They told me bec there was a brown out lol! Come on give me a break. That don't make sense. Their excuse for the slow internet is bec there are many guests. OMG! of course there are many guests its a hotel :P I still had fun though bec they have a very spacious room and the swimming pool is excellent, staff are accommodating and tries to help a lot.

Room Tip: Request a room near the hotel bec if not u have walk far or call for a shuttle.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
tbrphilippines, General Manager at Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - Poro Point, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Graceannsy88,

We thank you for taking the time to write us your feedback.

It is unfortunate for us to learn that you did not entirely enjoy your stay in our resort. While we do our best to provide all our guests the best service and amenities possible, we sometimes fall short because of uncontrollable circumstances. Your water concern has been raised and investigated and indeed, there were two unscheduled power interruptions by our local provider at the time of your stay. Water supply returned immediately after the generator was connected, about 2-3 minutes.
As regards to our free and unlimited wifi connection, we have already implemented an upgrade on our infrastructure.

Please do consider visiting us again soon. We will make sure that everything will be at par to your expectations.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I just came from a one night stay here on the way to Manila from Pagudpud road trip. We were pleasantly surprised with the huge size of the room and the bathroom. The bed and pillows were really comfortable. The pizza from the wood-fired oven was great. Breakfast was not so good - not enough choices and the towels were not enough and looked old.

What was very impressive was when I received a call from Cyrus Ramos saying that I left important things in our room. I didn't even realize that I forgot something. However, we were already in Tarlac so I asked if they can send my stuff through LBC, which I will pay of course. I made follow up calls the following day (today) and then I received a call that LBC won't accept the items because they're valuable. So, they will just send my things to their office in Makati. I thought that was strange re LBC, but I'm grateful that they can bring my things to the city. I hope so! They can't tell me when though, so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Room Tip: Second floor because there was no elevator.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

- top rate service, attentive & friendly staff
- quite pricey, but worth every penny!:)
- 20-30mins drive from city proper
- it's Santorini-ish..:)
- they have a casino, golf course, cafe/restos, gym, bar, pool & they offer water sport activities

• Stayed: May 2012
tbrphilippines, General Manager at Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - Poro Point, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Lomacaro,

We appreciate your concise and positive review of our resort. Our gauge of success is the satisfaction of our guests. We will take your feedback as an indication that we are doing things right and this will fuel us to do more.

It was our pleasure to have made your stay here worthwhile.

We hope that you can visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Fernando La Union
#3 of 5 in San Fernando La Union
La Union Blue Marlin Resort
La Union Blue Marlin Resort
#1 of 9 in San Fernando La Union

Been to Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - Poro Point? Share your experiences!