All reviewsolives restaurantinfinity poolporo pointpizzala unionbeach areabeach clubdeluxe roombuffet breakfast isbasketball courtrain showerthe south china seaworth the priceoverlooking the seacomplimentary bottled watercompany outingsan fernando
Reviewed July 10, 2012

For someone who’s traveled the whole world (I am not bragging about it) I was able to see the best and the worst when it comes to hotel, restaurants, facilities and staff service. Am I just too picky when it comes to these areas because of the places I’ve seen and the luxury I experienced? Or this was just way too far from what I had expected in the first place?

With this, I can say that it was such a DISAPPOINTMENT choosing this resort for my birthday bash. I would like to congratulate their publicity team for such a wonderful job putting this resort in one of the PRICEY resort in the market now a days. Let me start from the moment we checked in. It was quite a drive from Manila, roughly 6hours though we enjoyed the travel and scenery away from the city.

We arrive by 130pm and the normal check in is at 2pm. I was expecting a warm welcome and some fruit drinks for their welcome drinks. We ended up having 2 small bottles of water…IS THIS 5 STAR? Alright, we still have 3 days to see J

We had our late lunch at Olives. The choices of food were very simple. I really thought since they are claiming THEY ARE THE GREECE of the Philippines, the menu will be a lot like Mediterranean choices. Not really. We just stuffed ourselves with the best (as far as I can see) on the menu. The lamb stew and the lamb shanks which was not shanks but a leg with couscous. The meals were served quite cold and with all the piling of disappointments I tend to let it pass.

2pm and it was a quick check in and I needed to REQUEST for a bell service for our luggage. When we reached our room, it was a TWO QUEEN SIZE BEDS! And by the way, I am traveling with my partner to celebrate my birthday… we are not divorcing yet! I called the reception and they told me it was the one I booked for. Why would I booked for a DOUBLE QUEEN SIZE BED IN THE FIRST PLACE??!!

I was already fuming mad coz we are so tired from the long drive and everything I requested for was not given to us. Minutes later, we needed to moved into the next floor, with a king size bed. Wheeeww!

It was a rainy afternoon and we opted to stay in bed and relax. The room was just right for 2 persons. With the normal LCD tv, wifi, safety box and tea & coffee facility.

Got up from bed quite late and we are heading for our dinner buffet again at Olives. Food choices for the buffet were limited. I am already tried of being upset why I made a mistake of choosing this place.

The next day, it was an early morning wake up for me and my partner. 2 choices of rice, yang chow and garlic rice, some dumplings, 4 meat choices, fruits, bakery selection, juice counter, omelet station, 4 choices of cold cuts --- that’s it.

It was a FUN DAY FOR ME AND MY PARTNER since we went for a drive and spent the whole day in the historical town of VIGAN.

The night was still young and we really planned for a fabulous dinner and casino. I confirmed to the reception since the casino and Vegas Cafe is 5minutes away and we will be picked up by the shuttle. Casino? The receptionist reminded us to be WELL DRESSED since there’s a dress code. As if this is the first time I will set foot in a casino… alright. Dinner here we come!

What the HELL? There is a signage on how people should be dressed in the casino. Guess what? We should have worn out ragged tops and flip flops coz that is how PEOPLE INSIDE THE CASINO WERE DRESSED UP. It turned out that WE WERE OVER DRESSED for that place.

At the Vegas Café, according to the hotel info I read inside the room. It serves an array of international cuisine. Sounds very appetizing? Yes, it sounded like it’s very appetizing indeed but it only added to my frustrations. Majority were Filipino dishes, 5 Japanese, 6-8 Chinese.. that’s all. And the price was very cheap compared to how they priced the rooms in the resort. A meal would cost P250 and the people dining there… oohhh don’t ask. I am not dramatic here or anything but there’s NO EXCLUSIVITY at all. I felt that its like going for a Sunday market!!! Seriously!

I barely ate my chicken teriyaki since it was chicken breast. That made it the teriyaki so hard and if they really have a Chef.. the Chef would never choose that part coz it ruins the “teriyaki cut”.

Another day and night of frustrations…

Our last day, we woke up early for a walk on the beach and for a photo shoot. I thought we can have a dip. Its too rocky and not suitable for swimming. The only choice we have is the pool that is too small for all the guests check in at that time…in other words? T-O-O C-R-O-W-D-E-D!

Me and my partner both concluded that it was way too pricey for the facilities and services they can offer. The photos and details can be soooooo DECEIVING. Their claim to be 5 star resort… I DIDN’T SEE THE 5 STAR ACCREDITATION WHEN WE CHECKED IN!

The ONLY ASSETT of this resort I should say is their STAFF. Though not properly trained and knowledgeable they are VERY HELPFUL in every way.

The view was amazing but that same scenery can be seen in an hour or two drive in Batangas.

Overall, this is one of the place I WILL NOT RECOMMEND TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS. For a long drive like that, price we paid for relaxation and exclusivity --- WE TRULY DESERVE SOMETHING MORE!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
25  Thank prettybabyjhuddz
tbrphilippines, Manager at Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - Poro Point, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

Dear prettybabyjhuddz,

Thank you for taking the time out to inform us of your experience during your stay with us. We are concerned with the satisfaction of all our guests and your feedback is of great value to us.

You have raised areas of concern that need to be addressed and which we are looking into for improvement. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused you. Rest assured that your concerns are being addressed and we shall strengthen our training in terms of product knowledge to avoid this kind of incidents from happening again.

We sincerely hope that this unfortunate experience would not deter you from staying with us again. On your next visit, kindly contact me directly and I would be more than glad to assist you with your stay with us.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

We went to this beautiful place this year, April during our month-long Philippine-holiday. Stayed for one night, booked for two rooms. Amazing location. Very Greece-like, location was quiet, just perfect for us. Also, casino is nearby which is a plus for some of us,haha...Location wise, about 2 hours away from the Dagupan City Pangasinan. Very approachable and friendly staff around the hotel area and always happy to answer questions or address further needs to the room. Great room facilities, Sea Side View. Didnt try the bar so can't comment on that. Breakfast included with the room and it was definitely 5-star. It is actually a star-studded place...we saw some politicians and known government employees, celebrities etc. Also, bikes are free to hire to explore the resort's compound. Golf course in situ, though we didnt use this facility. Great great great place and will defintitely come back!

Casino- Free food&drinks-but beware, due to high demands, choices ca be limited-but can't complain for FREE food! Great restaurat within the casino, though can be slightly costly for some. Live band playing at night. Hundreds of slot machines and several tables for those who fancy playing cards etc. Low start of bet available for those who just want to have fun!

constructive criticisms:

-There was 4 of us in the room and yet there was only 1 toothbrush and 1 small toothpaste given, and two pairs of slippers -.- however this was immediately resolved when we informed the receptionists delivering further towels and other toiletries etc. suitable for 4 peope!There was also a complimentary bottled water kept/delivered straight to your room everyday.
-Casino: well, great atmosphere just encountered few arrogant players though we just ignored this. Casino staff- though majority of them were polite, they needed to brush up on their professionalism, one male staff who I asked for help regarding slots gladly helped me indeed but after few hours later, sent his female colleague asking for my no. -.- and wont take a No for an answer until I said I'm engaged (clearly a lie).

Over all, would I recommend the place, yes!

Room Tip: what you see is what you get, believe what you see on their website, £60 or more depending on seasonal rates for one night for 4 people! not too bad at all, breakfast included!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank HPSAR_28
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Dear miztybooty,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to know that you had an enjoyable stay and appreciated the service of our staff. We are proud to share your praises with the whole team.

We appreciate your constructive criticisms and these have been seriously noted by the General Managers and concerned Department Heads. Rest assured that your comments will be addressed to avoid similar incidents from happening again. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused you during your stay.

We thank you for your patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of being of service to you and your family again.

Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here because of a promo in a credit card. We just rode a bus going to la union via partas. They have no free shuttle so minus points. We rode a trike and jeep. We should have taken the paid shuttle instead. The room had 2 beds. No bathtub just a beautiful shower. Great toiletries, vmv hypo. awesome views from the room and around the resort. pricey foods though but the complimentary breakfast is good and plentiful. the beach portion is not so good but the sunset is a catch to take picture of. service is superb. try the grill buffet dinner, delicious! pizza is ok. Overall i will return here with my family.

• Stayed: May 2012
tbrphilippines, Manager at Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - Poro Point, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2012

Dear msaber,

Thank you for choosing to stay in our hotel last May 2012. We are happy to know that you had an overall enjoyable stay with us and appreciated the views from the room and around the resort. We are proud to share with the whole team your praises particularly the breakfast and pizza. This will definitely motivate them to keep up the good work.

On your next visit with your family, kindly contact me directly and I would be glad to assist you with your reservations. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your family in the near future.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

My family just had a 2 nights stay at Thunderbird Poro Point, and I say that from our arrival the staff from the guard to the bellboy and the reception were all very pleasing and very friendly. I myself am very particular about the service because this will tell a lot about the place. Then we were led to our room, the room is quite big that the two beds fit the family of four (2 on each bed),
the bathroom is nice and so is the nice view from our room (which was on the 2nd floor). My kids love their stay ,2 days of swimming. The food is great, although we tried to sample some Ilocano fare outside the hotel. The beach was ok but some parts are rocky. We get to try the jetski. And from the suggestion of your friendly staff, we tried surfing at nearby (20 mins away) San Juan Kahuna Resort.
To tell you frankly, some of my friends who happen to went there, were not happy for some reason or another and tried convincing me to get a refund. But my family were all rearing to go that postponing it would spell disaster. But contrary to their experience, mine were totally GREAT. I will definitely try this place again. TO THE STAFF OF THUNDERBIRD PORO POINT,
MY HATS OFF. THANK YOU. From Benjie (stayed in your hotel from June 1-3,2012)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Benjie B

Dear Benjie B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We were happy to know that your kids also enjoyed their stay particularly the pool. Your kind words are most gratifying and have been shared with the whole team. This will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.

We look forward in welcoming you and your family again soon. On your next visit, kindly contact me directly and I would be glad to assist you with your stay with us.

Thanks,

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Havent been to Greece but from the pictures I have seen, the structure and look of Thunderbird looks like it. The room was big and the 2 double beds were comfortable, the bathroom was very nicely made, with black stones placed on the side where the water flowed down, there was a veranda where you have a nice view of the ocean. The swimming pool had a wonderful shape, with water falls on the side, there was kiddie pool right beside the big pool. The beach down the road, accessible only from the hotel, was secluded with little waves. My daughter loved the place although it is a 6-hour drive from Manila. We ate once at the hotel and went out and tried the restaurants in San Fernando. Loved the Iloco halo halo which was in the outskirts of the hotel. We also tried their casino, but it was very small compared to others.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank franchesca112
tbrphilippines, Manager at Thunderbird Resorts & Casinos - Poro Point, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Dear franchesca112,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It was a pleasure to know that you had an overall enjoyable stay in our hotel and particularly liked the bed and the view of the ocean.

We are proud to inform you that we will be expanding the Fiesta Casino soon. We will be adding an extra 1000sq meters to the existing casino which will provide additional gaming space. This expansion will also add more spacious stage and entertainment venue which will enable us to bring bigger and more prominent entertainers and international style shows to further delight our guests.

We sincerely hope that we’ll have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back again. On your next visit, kindly contact me directly and I would be glad to assist you with your reservations.