“Good Location”

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Pasig
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Location”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Arrived 9am, room was not ready. Got an upgraded room from the front desk guy Mel. Very accomodating, was able to check in early. Location is in the heart of Ortigas across the Podium and short walk to Megamall, Shangrila and Galleria. Breakfast is excellent. Stayed for 4 days last January.

Room Tip: Higher floor has better view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank monkeywonkey
TMP-FOM, Front Office Manager at The Malayan Plaza, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the amazing review! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Malayan Plaza Hotel. We are delighted that the hotel was perfect for your travel needs.

Our staff was excited to hear that they were hospitable and made a positive impact on your stay with us.We can’t wait for you to come back and stay with us again.

Front Office Team Leader- OIC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We arrived 40 minutes before check in time. I requested for an early check in since my kids were exhausted from the long trip. They told me to wait for several minutes. Fortunately, they accommodated us even if we came in earlier.
Upon arrival, the extra bed wasn't yet set up. It's ok coz we were early.

The bed and the sheets were okay. The bath towels look old but clean. The split type aircon was advantageous because we were able to control the temperature inside our room. The view was good especially at night. We were on the 23rd floor. The television is not an LCD TV. I have checked in with other hotels and all of them have LCD TV. The breakfast was okay, a variety of bread, pasta, two viands, cereals, fruits, sliced mini cakes. Not so much but it was ok. The elevator was fast and stable.

Downside: We asked for cooking wares and utensils over the telephone at around 3:00pm. An hour passed and they haven't delivered what we requested. I went out of the room and saw an employee of Malayan Plaza. I repeated my request and reiterated our room number. The employee told me that he will relay my request. Unfortunately , it was already 6pm and still no sign of cooking wares and utensils. I again called over the phone and made the same request. Ahhh this time they lend us those things. I requested three times. They made us wait for 3 hours.

The employees were not so helpful. They saw us (me and my yaya) carrying lots of bags but they did not offer any help. A good hotel takes care of its clients and must treat everyone as equal whether you are a foreign dignitary, businessman, plain housewife or a yaya.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for any discomfort you were put through during your stay.

Your input is greatly appreciated and we will definitely investigate these issues that you have mentioned to the appropriate departments in order to continue the betterment of our service to our guests.

Thank you for staying with us and hope to have you back again soon.

Warm regards,

Front Office Team Leader-OIC
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We decided to check-in in a hotel for Chinese New Year. I saw Malayan Plaza online and they have an affordable rate given that it was a long weekend. I checked some reviews here in TripAdvisor and took notes of all their comments especially when it comes to their customer service. I could say that I had a pleasant stay there and the service was quite fine...nothing exceptional but it was alright.

PROS:

1. The lobby/reception area was spacious and clean.
2. The staff were all polite. Check-in was a breeze.
3. The room (Superior) was big, spacious, and clean. Almost all the appliances there were new since according to the concierge, it was newly renovated.
4. It has microwave, refrigerator, sink, electric kettle. You can also request for rice cooker and other cooking utensils.
5. They have provided a dining area with two chairs. On top of the table, they provided plates, glasses, coffee, creamer, and sugar. Free two complimentary bottled water also included.
6. The bathroom was clean.
7. The bed was very comfortable.
8. The room has flat screen television, cable tv, and DVD player.
9. Air-con was split type. It worked pretty well.
10. The breakfast buffet was fine. Nothing special with the taste of their dishes but it was acceptable for its rate.

CONS:

1. The housekeeping takes long (which I read also in other reviews) but it was okay.
2. The room still uses keys instead of key card even if there is already a card available for the electricity of the room. It's difficult to lock the door with keys than key cards.
3. The pool was cold. No towels available. You need to request additional towels in your room or from the front desk but no phone available in the pool area.
4. The room lack decor. No paintings...no anything.
5. The rooms are not carpeted. You can hear the moving of furniture from the room on top. It was quite annoying.

I'll probably go back here if they have more discounted rates otherwise, I'd probably look for something else.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
TMP-FOM, Front Office Manager at The Malayan Plaza, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review of your stay. We do value our guest’s comments and we will address your concerns promptly and efficiently.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay overall and we look forward to have you stay with us soon.

Front Office Team Leader- OIC
Broadbeach, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I usually stay here whenever i visit manila. it's got great location and great staff. Special thanks to Renan, the manager who is very helpful. It was very busy when we stayed there last november 2013 but he and the rest of the staff attended to our requests promptly. Again, thank you and looking forward to my next visit:)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to inform us your recent visit at The Malayan Plaza. It is great to read that you had enjoyed again your stay and that the team had exceeded your expectations in friendliness and efficiency.

We hope to see you again in the near future. We would love to have you stay with us again!

Front Office Team Leader/OIC
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I've stayed here a few times before, and I stay here because the location is outstanding. It's a business district but a short walk to Megamall, Robinsons Galleria and the metro. Really for business in Ortigas/Pasig this is the best location.
Now for the not so good, the service has really tanked. The room wasn't ready on arrival, they tried to offer a stop-gap of a smoking room, then the lady at the desk tried to tell me "our twin beds are smaller than standard twin beds" what she really meant is your room has single beds in it! A bit annoying, as really she was just talking nonsense.
The breakfast before was served in a little restaurant outside, this time was in the business lounge. But it's not really breakfast, an odd mix of canapés, pasta dishes, salads, it's like they put the afternoon tea out for breakfast. There is bread and cereals, and eggs if you ask, so not the worst, but don't expect your "full English" or even "full Pinoy"!
The rooms are a good size, the internet works (for one device only), which is a pain, but again easily overcome if you are a bit tech savvy.
I would probably stay there again, but maybe after I have tried one or two of the newer condo-hotels that are nearby.

Room Tip: Make sure you really get what you booked and asked for! The décor varies as this is a managed hotel...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
TMP-FOM, Front Office Manager at The Malayan Plaza, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your time in posting a review. We are concerned about your comments and apologize for the unfavorable experience you had at the Hotel.

We hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you better, please don’t hesitate to contact me at renantuazon@quantumsuites.com so I can ensure that your next visit will be a memorable one.

Best Regards,

Front Office- OIC
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Arrived on 30 Dec 2013. Had book 2 bedroom apartment + 1 studio. The check in was smooth without any incident. My issue came when I wanted to have the WiFi password access. It seem the hotel limit to a single login for a single room. I was issued 2 login ID for Room 2204 and 2207. I stayed at room 2207 and have a tablet + mobile phone but could only use one at one time. (In my last visit, I did not have this issue). Requesting for another Wifi login Id, but was told that I would need to pay Peso 200 by (Mel at front desk). Asking to speak to the manager in charge but was given an email by him.
However, upon booting up my tablet and was about to write a complaint email, my wife told me that the front desk had called and will be sending another WIFI login ID.

The hotel would issue to me 6 breakfast voucher for both the rooms but only 2 Wifi Login ID. Not logical.

We were unhappy with the new policy. As I told my family, next time we might consider BSA Twin Towers.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
TMP-FOM, Front Office Manager at The Malayan Plaza, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations at the Hotel and apologize for any inconvenience you were put through.

Warm regards,

Front Office OIC
Manila
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Positive:
Room is big and clean and includes microwave, refrigerator, small kitchen and provides free coffee. Bed is comfortable. Bed sheets and pillows are clean and soft. Comfort room is clean but small and not nice.
Location is near malls and restos.
There is internet but usage is one at a time.

Negative:
Beds are small. No carpet. No electronic card to open and close rooms. No flat screens.
Lights are all yellow. I find it a bit dim.
Breakfast was terrible. Sardines only for meat/ fish and the others are veggies.
I asked for extra towel and toilet paper and I have to call housekeeping twice.

Overall:
It is a simple hotel with simple amenities. Great on the budget but don’t expect anything grand.

Room Tip: check out the rooms first for a better view of the city.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
TMP-FOM, Front Office Manager at The Malayan Plaza, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sparing your time in posting your feedback about your stay, we truly appreciate the feedback we receive from our guest. Your comments had been discussed for evaluation and for further planning by the management.

We hope to welcome you back to the Malayan Plaza in the near future.

Yours truly,