The Malayan Plaza Hotel
$37
$31
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Red Planet Ortigas(Pasig)(Great Value!)
$32
  • Restaurant
$91
$51
TripAdvisor
All reviewssm megamallpancake housewalking distancethe executive loungewalk in closetfrancis squarebedroom deluxedental kitfree upgradeelectric stovedining tablecooking utensilsshopping mallortigas areabuffet breakfastwater heaterpasig city
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed 4 nights here over Christmas 2012. Great location in Ortigas area with oodles of good restaurants in walking distance, even Robinson's for shopping is only a mere 5-6 minutes away. Our room was great with a decent-size bedroom, a walk-in closed (did my wife love that !), a nice living room, only the bathroom should have been a bit larger.
The only - tiny - negative thing was the bistro for the breakfast, far too small, and quite a bit of waiting time if you insist on eating upstairs. Eating downstairs is a constant hassle with the cook(s) bringing the food upstairs.
Otherwise a great stay at a very attractive rate. Will return !

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed in this hotel from Jan.3-Jan.7. I originally booked a regular deluxe because I thought that I would be staying here alone. After arriving into the Philippines, I had 2 cousins and one nephew stay with me for the first two nights. Walking into the hotel, I already felt the sense of pride that the employees of this facility had. It's not the faux pride that comes in wearing a uniform, but pride that they loved their jobs. I proceeded to check in...

The front desk seemed to be extremely busy. Lala was on the phone while I walked in front of her, and she gave a courteous wave. I appreciated that she acknowledged me even when she was on the phone. I gave her my Agoda.com voucher and she verified my reservation. I realized that the one bed I booked is not enough for my guests. She explained thoroughly my different choices. I could either pay the 1750+ for extra accomodation, or book a larger room (1 BR Suite) for an extra 800P per night. I chose to upgrade. The check in, once started, was pleasurable and I was rest assured I had all of the information I needed. We proceeded to the elevator up to the 19th floor.

You are given two "real" keys. We walked into the room and the first thing I noticed was the gloomy feeling the living room had. I enjoy natural light very much and love to use it as much as I can. Sadly, I was situated next to a gray building that prohibited any sunshine to get into my suite. The furniture in the living room (couch, sofa, tv, tv stand) and for dining were basic to the point where they are in need of updating. They were basically structured items with varnishing that was clearly scuffed up. The TV was ANCIENT for this era! However, to my surprise, the tv worked very well, got cable reception consistently and the couch was actually comfortable to lay and sit on. I entered the bedroom and saw that the bed was pretty big! There's a tv, again an ancient one, a work desk, large mirror and walk in closet. The walk in closet was great because it housed the full lenght mirror and had it's own door that prohibited guests from seeing my clothes and other belongings. The safety box was also in this closet. I was extremely saddened by the bathroom. The color was beyond unhappy, the toilet was old, and again those poor wooden wall fixings! The walk in shower had a sliding door, but always let out water anyway. The rain shower was great and by far my favorite thing about my stay. I am a big fan of long hot showers and whatever water heater they use is magic! Never have I ever consistently had hot water run in Manila like this did! :D

The kitchen was the only room that looked updated. I had a chrome FULL fridge (UH-MAZING!), sink, cabinets (nice ones!) and an electric stove that had two places where you could cook on. The placing of this stove was extremely inconvinient for it was in the utmost corner of the room making it hard to cook anything elaborate. There is also a microwave that is dated, but worked well. The electric water kettle I didn't care for because it is OLD and needs replacing. I was very hesitant to heat my water in there for coffee!

The pool and lounch is on the 33rd floor. It has an amazing view of the city and was a pleasure to be in especially at night! The gym was complicated to get to, big and had most equipment a person travelling really needs, (i.e. treadmill, weights, dance area etc.)

From the gym floor, you can take the half flight of stairs onto the helipad! Amazing photo ops! :D

I felt extremely safe and happy in this property. Asides from outdated furniture, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Everyone says hello and acknowledges you, whether they be the bell boy, door boy, security, janitor etc. You'll enjoy your stay because it's located right by the Megamall which is walkable! There are two restaurants downstairs, a bank and more nightlife around the corner! Great place! But please get new furniture!

Room Tip: Getting here is pretty tricky! I suggest using the Podium Mall as the most major establishment to navigate to/from! ;D
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Miracle G
Reviewed January 3, 2013

After reading all positive feedback about this hotel. Me and my wife had decided to stay and see if it is really good...we arrived early in the morning and we ask the reception for a wake up call cause we dont want to miss our breakfast...guest what? WE DID NOT HAVE THE WAKE UP CALL..Can you imagine if you have a flight to take on the next morning....It is already gone far away..The rooms are outdated, very dark, smelly and the bathroom is the worst...I was happy after entering the room because of the wooden floor..cause I´m a rhinitis allergy...But after turning on the air condition I felt that all the bacteria and fungus just start to came out...We both goth sick and decided to move to another hotel nearby... We had a very good breakfast, good service and better room.... I will not recomend this hotel...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FSE777
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed in this hotel from 23 Dec 2012-26 Dec 2012. Requested for a higher floor and was given a room on the 17th floor. Great view. Location?the best as it is nearby to the podium and sm megamall and within walking distance to the Robinsons where we took the jeepney going to the greenhills. 7-11 is nearby which is very convenient.

Room-I am okay with it. Nothing to complaint. I think worth with the amount paid. Staff were very attentive as well as the security guards. The breakfast okay. Since we are muslims, we only consumed the fresh fruits, juices, cereals and boiled eggs. Staff in the restaurant were attentive and polite. Kitchenettes available upon request plus a microwave. Excellent.

Room Tip: Request for higher floor and if you travel with 3 persons or more take the suite.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank thecuriostraveller
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Overall good value - close proximity to shopping (Megamall, Podium), MRT (Ortigas or Shaw Boulevard), transfer to Clark Airport (Philtranco bus stop).

Well-trained staff - polite and responsive.

Some minor issues (no big deal) but worth mentioning:
- neighbouring room had many visitors - the door bell sounded as if it was my room. Could be a factor of the door bell. Did not hear the neighbouring room in terms of other noise.
- breakfast a bit limited as mentioned in other posts. Adequate if not fussy.
- charged 40 peso for bedroom slippers. Worth paying for but would have been nice to be issued for free. An earlier post mentioned they got it for free!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo