“PERFECT FAMILY RETREAT”
Review of Astoria Plaza

Astoria Plaza
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Pasig
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Last month was my daughter's 16th birthday and so we had a simple treat for her. We booked a 2-Bedroom Suite in Astoria Plaza in Pasig, stayed overnight there, had her friends over for 4 to 5 hours to join us in the celebration. Their 2-Bedroom is certainly a treat for families, the room is very spacious (over 100 square meters in size), well furnished living and dining areas, very cozy bedrooms each with its own toilet and comfortable kitchen fully equipped with the basic necessities (REF, microwave, utensils, glasses, coffee & tea making facilities). The Suite we had was immaculately cleaned, well-maintained (I heard recently renovated) and the linens clean and crisp. The Front Office service was prompt and polite. Their Butler very attentive and smart.

Our over-all experience was very satisfying...my family and I will definitely go back. I highly recommend this to our Balikbayan families and friends who prefer spacious yet reasonably priced hotels. The Hotel is also very accessible to Megamall, Shangri-La Plaza Mall, and other nearby malls and restaurants.

Room Tip: We were at the 17th Floor (a corner Suite!!) so it's quieter probably compared to lower floors w...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed February 27, 2014

The hotel is perfectly located in the heart of Pasig City. A few minutes walk to malls (SM Megamall, Shangrila Plaza, Robinson's Galleria, and The Podium). A stones throw from convenience stores, cafes, and eateries. Besides banks (Metrobank, BDO, and BPI). Close to transport links such as Public Utility Jeeps, Public Utility Buses, MRT (Metro Railway Transit), and taxis.

The lobby is nice. The only problems is sometimes the elevator/lift takes a bit of a time. Has a gym, and swimming pool for guest use. There is "pay" parking available. There are functions rooms, and restaurant inside the hotel.

The rooms are spacious, not too cramped. Although you can hear noise coming from outside your door at times. The staff are courteous, always greeting you when you enter or leave the hotel. There are also complimentary service shuttles available to take you to nearby malls (which I mentioned above), all you need to do is ask for their schedule. The complimentary service shuttle is mostly available throughout the day, just make sure that you know the schedule, and that you request to be signed up for the trip.

Room Tip: Request to be upgraded, they would usually do, as long as it is not peak season, and if the next roo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I love the suite! It has the spacious kitchen with enough stuff you need for cooking and eating. A huge fridge and the lounge is separate from room itself. You never have to worry about pestering your family when they sleep and you still want to watch movies/tv shows.

Downside, their gym is smelly! I wanted to workout but I can't stand the smell of sweat and beer-like scent. For sure, the hotel management can afford to spray some Lysol or air freshener there. Not sure why they don't do it. The food was not so great really. Very little options. You still have to take a cab to get to malls, you can't just walk. The pool was nice and they have a spa to spoil yourself and relax a bit.

It was really in between an average and a very good rate for me but I'd have to say that the room was really nice so it's a thumbs up for me!

Room Tip: Always ask for highest floor. The city view at night is cool.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 3, 2014

For a high-rise condo in the middle of ortigas, it's good enough. People are friendly, as you can expect, but the place is a bit disappointing in terms of facilities. Bits of the shower aren't working, some are a bit rusty, there's a lingering smell near the lift, etc.

If you're just staying for only a few hours a day and on a budget - it's ok.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Gilbert G
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We used Astoria for the wedding preps for my daughter's wedding yesterday, Jan 25, 2014. From the time we checked in, the first thing that I noticed was a dark and 'sad' lobby...very much subdued lighting and sad because no one in the front desk greeted me good afternoon and no smiles at all...very surprising coz you would usually expect a warm greeting and a smile when you check in into a hotel but unfortunately, I never got this. Though I would like to recognize the fact that the check-in process was quite fast with Chris helping out. That was already almost 3 pm when I checked in but that time when I checked in, the other room was not yet ready so I was told that I can wait in the room which was already ready. So I went up and waited and waited...and finally, since I know the room number of the other suite which we are taking in and it's on the same floor, I had to check how housekeeping was doing. And lo and behold, the other 2-bedroom suite that we were supposed to occupy was still being cleaned. And good thing I checked because I found out that the other suite that they were giving to us was not what I paid for originally - yes, it was a 2-bedroom suite but the smaller bedroom only had one single bed which was not what I paid for. Anyway, I had to request Front Desk again (through Chris who is such a great help - thank God!) that this was not what I expected. Anyway, after waiting for a few more minutes, I finally got a call that they have another suite available on the 31st floor. Ok fine what can I do? I would have wanted rooms on the same floor but then, there are no other available 2-bedroom suites on the same floor and to think that I emailed their sales department c/o Weng Hernandez providing them with my requests (rooms were paid in advance...). The 31st floor suite was not that great though...bathroom in the kitchen area was locked because it was not working. Bathroom in the main bedroom had an exhaust fan which was not working so the smell does not go out - and since you use the toilet for one main purpose aside from taking a bath - imagine, a toilet with a non-working exhaust fan!!! We booked for two nights and the following day, housekeeping did not refill our coffee and tea amenities and also our free water bottles. I had to call them to refill >> why on earth could they not refill? Maybe because they saw that we had water bottles inside the ref which we bought on our own??? My parents who were staying in the other suite also had the same complaint. My father had to go down to their coffee shop because housekeeping did not also refill their coffee and tea amenities. Oh and I asked for dishwashing liquid or paste since we used the plates for eating and I was told that I had to pay for it. What? A serviced apartment and yet you had to pay for the dishwashing liquid...such a huge difference from other serviced apartments such as Ascott or Oakwood. Bathrooms need cleaning - mold and mildew plus my hubby really got pissed with the leaking pipe in our bathroom. Okey - non-working exhaust plus leaking pipe...there must be something positive about the hotel...
Discovered the positive on our second day at breakfast in the coffee shop in the hotel's ground floor >>> we finally got a great good morning greeting and smiles from the two ladies in the coffee shop as soon as we entered. So I said to myself, yes, we finally got a greeting from the hotel staff and a smile!
There are quite a number of trainees in the hotel (OJT) and I would honestly say they are a refreshing sight compared to the front desk and concierge hotel staff who really need to learn how to show a bright and smiling face to customers. Trainees greet and smile but then these are trainees...hotel staff should actually do the same and in fact, do even more since trainees are supposed to learn from them.
So really truly, I would think twice...no...thrice before booking in this hotel in the future. Since there are also a number of serviced residences in the Ortigas area, it would be worth trying other hotels in the area with hotel staff who make you feel at home the moment you step into the lobby and also would be much more well-maintained.
And I have to mention that unless you get a corner suite, you would hear the noise and voice from the other rooms in the floor.
And do ask housekeeping to check all the legs of the beds - my daughter slept in a bed with one missing leg...
Got only one free internet account for one gadget even if we booked a 2-bedroom suite. Also, you only get one free parking for every room/suite booked so better ask about the overnight parking fee or you might get shocked with the bill.
There were two magazines in the room - both dated 2011!!! We got our newspaper on our first day but housekeeping forgot to deliver the newspaper on our second day...I'm not surprised anymore.

Room Tip: Choose a corner suite/room - this would help you sleep and also have a little peace and quiet since...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank marosales
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stayed last Dec 28-30 with my family in a 2-br suite.

Pros:
-Rooms are spacious
-Living room is spacious
-Kitchen is complete with the basic amenities (my favorite area)
-Swimming pool is great for kids
-Staff are courteous
-Shuttle service is awesome and on-time (you just need to pre-book to the concierge/front office)
-Breakfast is good (chicken hotdogs are my favorite)
-Good location (near shopping malls)
-Mini Stop is just beside the hotel (a plus)
-Fast check-in and check-out

Cons:
-Limited and slow wifi connection

Will definitely come back! :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Booked this hotel 3 days before the new year's eve through a travel agency partnered with tripadvisor. Since it was a last minute booking and all of the hotels we've searched are all fully booked, I still felt fortunate to get a 2-bedroom suite for the family. I've read reviews that checking in is slow but we experienced otherwise. When we arrived, there was a queue at the front desk but we didn't wait long as officers were fast and efficient. Assigned to a corner room on the 26th floor, we were happy to view two sides of the city especially when colorful fireworks started shooting up. The suite has a nice interior and spacious enough for our 3 kids. It has a nice couch which has a pullout bed, 6-seater dining set, clean kitchen equipped with 6 sets of dish sets, stove, pots & pans, microwave, small fridge and toaster. Master bedroom has a king size bed, television and its own bathroom with tub. Secondary room has two single beds and a television, too. Free wifi is limited to one device though and signal is only available in the living room where the access point is. Breakfast buffet doesn't have a wide variety of food, too. What we liked most were the sorts of bread and their arroz caldo. Overall, it was a pleasant stay. Staff are all great, rooms are big and location is not a problem.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family