“Mosquitoes in the room!”

Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Pasig
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Nothing extraordinary, just your average business hotel past its prime. Don't expect special amenities or the bells and whistles of a five-star hotel. The hotel hasn't been renovated since it was built. The bathroom is okay at first but the sink was malfunctioning-- i had to adjust the drain myself! When i finally settled in for the night I heard the unmistakeable buzz of a mosquito.. Ugh

• Stayed: November 2013
Discovery_Leisure_Co, General Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Neuroticneurologist,

We welcome your comments about your recent stay at Discovery Suites. Please accept our sincerest apologies and rest assured that the matter has been thoroughly discussed with our Housekeeping team for immediate action. It may interest you to know that the hotel has been renovating its room inventory floor by floor. Half of our total room are already renovated and the feedback from our long staying guests have been wonderful. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to change your first impressions on Discovery Suites.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Very spacious suite specially the bathroom. All amenities were available (Kitchen, ironing, fridge,...). Smaller living area (2-seats couch+ 2 comfys) but opens to the dining area. Average selection of TV channels. Few minutes away from one Asia's biggest malls (Megamall). The staff is very very polite. I went to pray in my room and house keepers were cleaning, they wited for me to finish my pray just to say (Any other service?). Food is not exceptional. Steaks at night are good, but side dishes need to be improved.

Room Tip: Great value. Don't miss Kantour store at Mega mall for Philippino souvenirs and hand-made items...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Discovery_Leisure_Co, General Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Kemsh,

Many thanks for taking time to post your review in our Tripadvisor page. We appreciate your positive thoughts about our room and service. We let our kitchen team know about your comments about our Food and Beverage options. We hope to see you again in the hotel very soon.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for a business trip to Manila. Everything about the hotel was great, the staff were amazing and a nice welcome to the hotel, welcome treats in the room on arrival..all nice little touches...which after 24 hours of travelling, just what you need. Ordered room service most nights, staff very polite and friendly, laying out my meal on the table. In general, staff were really friendly all around the hotel from reception, to seeing the staff as you walked around the hotel, they always went out of their way to say hello and I was always made to feel welcome. would definitely recommend this hotel to others. Thanks to all the staff at Discovery Suites for making my stay a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Nick-Soton,

Greetings from your Discovery Suites family! Thank you for your very kind words about Discovery Suites and our hotel staff. Please allow me to share this post with them. We are glad that we were able to make your stay comfortable and memorable. Thank you in advance for recommending us to your friends. We hope that you will find the time to visit the Philippines once again and stay at Discovery Suites.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I booked the following rooms in this hotel last Oct 19-20, 2013: (1) Serendipity 3-Bedroom Suite, (1) Serendipity 2-Bedroom Suite , (1) Regular 3-Bedroom Suit, (1) Regular Junior Suite.

1. Check in time is supposed to be 3PM but not all rooms were ready when we arrived. The Serendipity 3-Bedroom Suite was available only at past 4PM.

2. My 500 Discovery Lifestyle Member credit voucher # 5561 was not deducted from the breakfast charge when I properly endorsed and signed the voucher to a Restaurant 5 staff.

3. I was charged an extra 9509.25 for the late check out of (1) Serendipity 3-Bedroom Suite in which we stayed until around 4:40 PM when in fact upon check-in this particular room was also only ready for us to occupy at around the same time. The front desk personnel called me while we were in the middle of a very important meeting and when I asked for another one hour extension, I was informed I will be charged a half day rate. This I found very inconsiderate because upon reservation weeks before, I already requested for this late check out and I expected a little consideration for booking several rooms.

4. I found the front desk staffs not so friendly when in fact this hotel according to their website is supposed to "showcase the best of unique Filipino hospitality in a modern setting".

I am just so disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank docajc2013
Discovery_Leisure_Co, General Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Dear docajc2013,

Thank you for your very candid review. I understand that our associates have been in touch with you so that we can address your concerns. We appreciate you bringing these matters to our attention,

Reviewed October 10, 2013

You know my Review about MO MNL? I get a similar vibe at this place. Dark, mysterious, kind of old fashioned, not sure it feels right or something somewhere is out of place?
Well, this is how I felt about about D.S. The room is great and the price is right but something is missing that you just cant put your finger on.

I did love the HUGE bathroom and very luxurious thick towels (you listening, Frendy?).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SonicSpringBok
Discovery_Leisure_Co, Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Dear SonicSpringBok,

Our deep appreciation for your observations about Discovery Suites. We wish you will return to Manila and book our newly-renovated Serendipity suites. The room is more contemporary in design and furnished with modern conveniences like flat screen television, iPod docks and more. We have been renovating our guest accommodations floor by floor. Almost half of our room inventory is already new.

Regards,

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is my back up hotel to the Crowne when I can't get a room and very happy with it. The rooms are nice, clean and spacious. Got a late check out - but the air conditioner seemed to stop working and I head to head to the Mall across the road to cool down. The Podium Mall across the street is great, with freee wifi and plenty of meal options. Breakfast is just average. I still prefer the Crowne because it has Club Lounge, which is very efficient and a little bit collegial with fellow business travellers.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not under one of the floors that is being renovated!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Discovery_Leisure_Co, General Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Dear Reg E,

Many thanks for your candid observations about our hotel. I've already shared this post with our managers. Though a number of these items will take quite a considerable time to resolve (i.e. structural - architectural in nature), quite a few of them may be addressed. Thank you for pointing them out to us.

Regards,

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Have actually been to this hotel once in 2011, we stayed in a 2 bedroom suite right before my cousin's wedding. It was pretty huge and good if you want to look for a temporary home for awhile or if you're planning a party. Stayed at a normal room last weekend with family and found out that it's not as nice as the suite. It's a standard room and despite the small size, they were able to put in a working living area. Standard amenities like free wifi, tea, coffee, ref. The bathroom is pretty spacious. There's a shower stall and a separate bath tub. The bath tub came with bubble bath soap and salts, so that's a plus. Soft pillows and bed, aircon was a bit cold but you can control the temp anyway. The place shows a bit of old age but it's pretty well maintained. My problems with the building though are that the lobby and hallways are not properly airconditioned (it was hot when were there) and the rooms aren't that noise proof (I could hear whenever someone would walk by). Security is ok as well since you need to badge in your card at the elevator to get to the non-common floors. Parking is on a separate elevator though and it's a little tough to maneuver through the basement parking since the ramps have narrow walls. There's also these machinery that can lift your car on the slots themselves, making it hard to park large SUVs. Kinda weird why they have that though since it doesn't seem like the ceiling is high enough such that you can park 2 cars in a stack. You're better off parking at Podium or at one of the public parkings nearby. For services, they have a spa (wasn't able to try since they were fully booked for the night), a gym (machines are pretty good), a pool (small and not really that enticing), and a children's play area. We had the breakfast buffet (filipino), and it was so-so. Not a lot of choices, but just enough. They have 2 restaurants but honestly you're better off eating at one of the restaurants in Podium.
Location is really great though if you're staying for a business trip and will be working in the Ortigas area. It is also right across Podium, beside El Pueblo so you're not going to be in want of restaurants or stores.
Overall, I would say that this is a great place for parties or if you're staying with a large group of people, or if you're going to Manila for business or staying for a long time. For locals, I would not recommend using this place for a staycation. You're better off trying one of other Discovery hotels like Tagaytay or Boracay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Reg E
Discovery_Leisure_Co, General Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Reg E,

Thank you for your very honest observations about our hotel. We've noted your suggestions and will work with the concerned departments on how we can address your issues (particularly about our breakfast options etc). Admittedly, some of your comments pertains to the structure of the building, which at this point, a solution may be a long time coming. You can be assured though that we've managed to work around these issues and that every consideration is being made to make every guest experience a memorable and pleasurable experience.

Yours sincerely,

Leeds

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pasig
Marco Polo Ortigas Manila
Joy Nostalg Manila Managed by AccorHotels
Ace Hotel & Suites
Ace Hotel & Suites
#5 of 22 in Pasig

Been to Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines? Share your experiences!