“Great Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Pasig
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you look for a very well located and not expensive hotel with all the excellent services in Manila you have to book here.
It is close to many restaurants, malls (Mega Mall) and all the staff are extremely kind.
With many facilities, big room and bathroom. Microwave, oven, refrigerator, coffee maker, anything.

Room Tip: Choose between 15 to 20th.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hernan32655
Discovery_Leisure_Co, Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear hernan32655,

Many thanks for posting this in Tripadvisor. Your comments about our central location, facilities and services are one of many reasons why our hotel is preferred by business and leisure travelers. We hope that you will return here soon and make Discovery Suites your home away from home in Manila.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Calamba, Laguna, Philippines
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

We got a promo deal at a website and stayed here last easter. Rooms were great. Spacious and luxurious. Staff provided all of my requests -- double beds and baby cot -- with no hitches.

Very friendly staff who respond quickly to calls, for example, husband got a fever that night and they quickly sent 2 nurses to check on him and give meds for fever.

I remember also when we were checking in and it was getting busy and crowded at the front desk but i heard one of the staff greet someone who i guess was a repeat visitor, they greeted this lady warmly and the lady seemed surprised and very glad they recognized her. I like that about their service.

Buffet breakfast was good and varied. Pool was quite small and crowded but there were a lot of families who availed of the easter promos so i guess this was inevitable.

Lastly, I loved the fact that it was just in front of a mall. Location very central and convenient. Will definitely come back if given a chance.

• Stayed March 2013
Discovery_Leisure_Co, Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Raia P,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor, You are very observant because quite a number of our guests are indeed repeat customers who value the care, service and attention to detail we put into every stay. This is probably why, despite our longevity in the market, a lot of our guests still call us their “home-away-from home”.

You are very much welcome to return.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Following a Sadness at the Edsa Shangri La where a failure to agree on rates led to a premature departure, Mole pitched up at the Discovery Suites. Same area, same price but more accommodation (1 bedroom apartment against a standard room). First night was in one of the 'unrenovated' suites and it was just that - somewhat tired, raggedy and in serious need of a makeover. Nights 2-5 were in one of the newly done over suites - and very nice too. Whether One want mirrors all round the bed head is a matter of personal taste but there is plenty of storage space, the bathroom is well appointed and the bed is comfy. The BUTs are that there is no oven in the kitchen (microwave and a very odd toaster contraption), no chopping / food preparation space and every single socket in the place is in the wrong position. There is a nice desk in the bedroom - but nowhere to plug in the computer (so you work at the dining table - having carefully pulled it over to the wall so the cables stretch!) The staff are delightful, the food above average and the P450 2-hour happy hour HAS to be the best deal in town. Quite happily rebooked for next week and, if all goes according to plan, maybe even there for a month soon. It has its drawbacks, but overall if you get the right room, there's not too much to moan about. And when One does moan, the staff do whatever they can to fix it - politley and promptly.

Room Tip: Choose a renovated room, More expensive but worth it. AVOID rooms 01-06. They either faace the front...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PhileasMole
Reviewed April 16, 2013

At Manilia for a business trip and I was assigned to a room with 2 queen size beds for one person stay.

I was in the hotel room since 9.30pm, did my shower n checking mails and decided to head for bed at 12.15am. Once I switched off the lights, I went for bed with my ear plug on. However within 15mins, I was rudely awaken by a loud rattling noise that seems to be near my bed, even with my earplug on so can you imagine how loud the noise was in a quiet room? I was shocked and jumped up in bed, thinking the lamp was broken or something, but there was nothing. So I thought I was hallucinating or dreaming, I went back to slp and then started my worst nightmare ever!

The loud rattling noise continued on in every corners of the room for every 5 or 10 minutes and lasted less than 2 seconds. I was trying my best to ignore it until the final straw came when the loud rattling noise can be heard less than 3 mins at the toilet corner! It then dawned on me that loud rattling noise sounds like the noise that I will get whenever I turned off the tap water after washing hands or bathed! So I was thinking whether the water was dripping at the toilet and I woke up, with the clock stated it was 4am, to check out the toilet.

There was no water drips in the toilet and I am so frustrated that I tried to call the "Guest Services" hotline but was cut off! I decided to switch on all of the lights n went for slp again. Thereafter the loud noise was rarely heard!

Conclusion: there was no noise heard from 9.30pm to 12.15am with the lights on. However the frequent noise came (15mins later) when the lights were off at 12.15am and continues like forever until the lights were switched on at 4.15am. This is a business trip and I really need to rest but I didn't get to slp a wink! So is the room haunted or what???!!!! I need EXPLANATION!

• Stayed April 2013
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed April 8, 2013

As a first time guest at this hotel, I was very DISAPPOINTED. I paid too much for a not so great hotel. The hotel reservation is very expensive and its a waste of money.

My family decided to choose to go on Staycation rather than beat the traffic of going out of town for the holyweek. So I decided to book online at the Discovery Suite-Ortigas for two (2) bedroom unit. Upon check-in last March 28, 2013, we were assigned to room 1603.

Discovery Suite’s provided me the following:

1. A two bedroom suite with busted airconditioning units, their engineering tried to repair them while we were in the room, and it took them long hours. Worse, when they said its already okay, it turned-out, its not. So I have to asked them to come back three times to check again and again. At the end, they were only able to repair one room . The master’s bedroom aircon remained busted. They said the hotel is jampacked and fully booked and couldn’t provide us a new room when I requested.

Me and my youngest daughter ended up sleeping on the living-room rather than bear the heat considering its a summer and we have no choice.

2. Towels provided are too old and colored light gray,not white, and had a hint of that unwelcoming scent.

3. Bathrobes so horrible that I wouldn’t dare wear it. Color was like of old parchment with an old-yellowish hue in it and the same odd scents like the towels.

4. We had to wait 25 minutes to get us seated to have our breakfast. They were slow in replenishing the food even though there were only a few selection in their buffet breakfast.

5. Small size of the swimming pool compared to most hotels as expensive as theirs . Also for some reason, the water is very very cold. The second thing is, the water in the swimming pool and jacuzzi is a bit 'foggy' or dirty.

6. Hotel claim’s that all their rooms are provided with DVD players and utensils. Our room has no DVD player. When I requested, it took endless follow-ups. I requested the DVD player at 2pm, they were only able to provide me at around 9:45 or before 10:00 in the evening . I requested for extra forks and spoons before our dinner because they only provided 2sets which were already set on the table when we arrived. At exactly 9:17pm the forks and spoons were finally brought in the room when we were already done eating our dinner using our hands.

7. The sauna is out of order and the gym is close during our stay. The hotel is expecting 100% occupancy because of the holidays, therefore, they owe it to their customers to make sure that all their facilities and amenities are available and working for their guests to enjoy.

Before I check-out, I told only my major complaint at the reception desk, which is the AIRCONDITION . I was only given a paper to write my complaints but never even got an apology.

I also took the initiative of calling the manager 3days after because I was so displeased and disappointed. And that was the only time I heard an apology. He said to make up, he will give me an upgrade the next time I will book again……..????? I told him, I did not talk to you to be compensated. I just wanted to make sure that you know.

Hello !!!!!!! after all that has happened why will I dare choose their EXPENSIVE HOTEL, to again waste my money ????? !!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 1603
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Rufina T
Discovery_Leisure_Co, Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear NannethB,

On behalf of the hotel, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you enumerated in this post. Needless to say, I was very concerned about the issues you raised, so much so that I have asked our Operations team for immediate action so that they never happen again to our future guests.

In the same light, we are very grateful that you have called our attention to these matters. Rest assured that these will be corrected immediately. Please expect a call from a member of our team so we can update you on what we have done as a result of your post.

Manila Philippines
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is not the first time I had stayed at this hotel . The mere fact that somehow i kept coming back is for 2 main reasons, the location (near the podium and SM megamall ) and the service provided by the staff . I noticed however that the quality of the hotel and the service was somehow diminishing through the years since it opened. I tried booking the serendipity one bedroom suite , hoping the refurbished rooms would give new life to the serviced residence establishment . We arrived at around 4pm , the lady front desk staff seem polite but really snotty . She whisked us off to their lounge at the 22nd floor , saying our suite was not yet ready , and that is already 4 pm. We saw lots of people in the 22nd floor , and that includes little children running around the supposed to be 'serendipity 'lounge adjoining the vaunted 22 prime , their steakhouse fine dining restaurant. I even see nannies with bags full of groceries etc. Anyway , we end up loitering that we ended up seated separately. Later i realized that these are fellow guests who are made to wait for longer periods because the rooms are not yet available . Sooner do i find out that there was a corporate pharmaceutical activity that had just finished their conference. Well, so what ? Are they allowed to check out late just because they are a very important client , and they stayed for a longer period ? Welcome drinks were given by a not smiling and obviously tired staff in our separate seats . The suite is finally available , where a hotel staff would accompany us , that is around 5:15 pm . I find the refurbished suite much better that the older ones, can't help notice they utilize huge mirrors , and one way tinted windows to maximize the illusion of spaciousness. Ceiling was quite low, for many tall foreign guests , they might be get uncomfortable. Bathrooms are huge , with a separate shower and tub . there are also 2 huge lcd tv sets , and airconditioning is favorable for me. I availed of the massage services in their terra wellness spa and it was somehow relaxing. Then came breakfast , very chaotic, we waited for 15 minutes , and although food selection is not that bad for a non deluxe property, service leaves much to be desired . I'm almost half finished on my meal when coffee would arrive . I asked for iced water , and it took another 15 minutes just for that. when I personally went to get my coffee and water they wouldn't allow me. Then came when we would take our shower, i noticed that there was only one bath towel provided (they already listed us as 3 occupants ). So I called up housekeeping, and when they came to provide 2 more towels, he asked if he could get the used or the soiled ones , I said to myself , why ? , are they losing supplies ? any problem with their inventory. I am so frustrated that i didn't ask for assistance with our luggage , and when I checked out, there was billing problems, when restaurant 5 staff where we had our breakfast mistakenly added incidental expenses made by a separate guests into my account. To me , there is nothing serendipitous with my weekend stay . Service with a heart ? , that gesture of placing the right hand over the left chest doesn't work . The only bright spot are the security guards who have been forced to do multi tasking role in the absence of the bell staff and doormen . And to think that the new Solaire resort and casino has tied up with Raintree hospitality , yes , but that should be exclusive only for the property in Boracay. Last thing . the free internet is really erratic, actually was not able to use it , just like in Tagaytay property.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed for a night (28 March 2013) for a "staycation" as it was the country's most popular holiday week. Aware of other reviewers' comments about the hotel's dated fixtures, we made sure to get the newly-renovated rooms aptly called Serendipity Suites. I guess the lobby was designed as such to keep non-guests from loitering. We had early registration and requested an early check-in. We were then told to wait at what I would call their "alternative lobby"-- the Serendipity Lounge on the 22nd floor. We were given welcome drinks. By 1:30pm, we were handed our room key card.

We stayed in a one-bedroom Serendipity suite as we were with our three-year-old and his nanny. The room had a mini-hallway that widened to reveal a home-away-from-home room-- writing desk, kitchen, a four-seater dining table, and complete living room furnishings. The bedroom is quite small yet still able to accommodate another writing desk, and is used the same as the LCD TV stand. The bathroom is rather large. Hotel could have used the "extra" space to create a bigger bedroom instead.

Housekeeping was quick to respond to fix our clogged toilet and non-functioning living room air-conditioner. We patiently waited for over 3 hours to let the air-conditioner (already set to 18 degrees) to cool the room, but to no avail. While the Engineering crew was able to come to our room in less than 3 mins upon informing Housekeeping, they were not able to make it work (they fiddled with the circuit breaker). Kept the bedroom door open instead till bedtime.

We had guests for dinner and had in-room dining-- superb dishes from Serendipity Lounge! Hubby and son went swimming (the smallest hotel swimming pool I've seen) the following day. The Jacuzzi right beside the pool was very ideal for children.

Waited for about 20 minutes to be seated at Restaurant 5 for our breakfast. Breakfast was so-so. Ummm... no sausages?

Were it not for the clogged toilet (by 10pm, it was clogged again- water would go down super slow) and the fan-only living room air-conditioner, it was an over-all pleasant stay. :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Thincrust88,

Many thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We welcome and truly appreciate your feedback. Our Engineering team has reported to us that your issues have all been addressed. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you encountered during your last stay.

We trust that you will give us another opportunity to correct any negative impression you have of our hotel. I will make sure that your next experience with us will be more pleasant.