“It Has Lost Its Touch ..”

Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Pasig
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is not the first time I had stayed at this hotel . The mere fact that somehow i kept coming back is for 2 main reasons, the location (near the podium and SM megamall ) and the service provided by the staff . I noticed however that the quality of the hotel and the service was somehow diminishing through the years since it opened. I tried booking the serendipity one bedroom suite , hoping the refurbished rooms would give new life to the serviced residence establishment . We arrived at around 4pm , the lady front desk staff seem polite but really snotty . She whisked us off to their lounge at the 22nd floor , saying our suite was not yet ready , and that is already 4 pm. We saw lots of people in the 22nd floor , and that includes little children running around the supposed to be 'serendipity 'lounge adjoining the vaunted 22 prime , their steakhouse fine dining restaurant. I even see nannies with bags full of groceries etc. Anyway , we end up loitering that we ended up seated separately. Later i realized that these are fellow guests who are made to wait for longer periods because the rooms are not yet available . Sooner do i find out that there was a corporate pharmaceutical activity that had just finished their conference. Well, so what ? Are they allowed to check out late just because they are a very important client , and they stayed for a longer period ? Welcome drinks were given by a not smiling and obviously tired staff in our separate seats . The suite is finally available , where a hotel staff would accompany us , that is around 5:15 pm . I find the refurbished suite much better that the older ones, can't help notice they utilize huge mirrors , and one way tinted windows to maximize the illusion of spaciousness. Ceiling was quite low, for many tall foreign guests , they might be get uncomfortable. Bathrooms are huge , with a separate shower and tub . there are also 2 huge lcd tv sets , and airconditioning is favorable for me. I availed of the massage services in their terra wellness spa and it was somehow relaxing. Then came breakfast , very chaotic, we waited for 15 minutes , and although food selection is not that bad for a non deluxe property, service leaves much to be desired . I'm almost half finished on my meal when coffee would arrive . I asked for iced water , and it took another 15 minutes just for that. when I personally went to get my coffee and water they wouldn't allow me. Then came when we would take our shower, i noticed that there was only one bath towel provided (they already listed us as 3 occupants ). So I called up housekeeping, and when they came to provide 2 more towels, he asked if he could get the used or the soiled ones , I said to myself , why ? , are they losing supplies ? any problem with their inventory. I am so frustrated that i didn't ask for assistance with our luggage , and when I checked out, there was billing problems, when restaurant 5 staff where we had our breakfast mistakenly added incidental expenses made by a separate guests into my account. To me , there is nothing serendipitous with my weekend stay . Service with a heart ? , that gesture of placing the right hand over the left chest doesn't work . The only bright spot are the security guards who have been forced to do multi tasking role in the absence of the bell staff and doormen . And to think that the new Solaire resort and casino has tied up with Raintree hospitality , yes , but that should be exclusive only for the property in Boracay. Last thing . the free internet is really erratic, actually was not able to use it , just like in Tagaytay property.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed for a night (28 March 2013) for a "staycation" as it was the country's most popular holiday week. Aware of other reviewers' comments about the hotel's dated fixtures, we made sure to get the newly-renovated rooms aptly called Serendipity Suites. I guess the lobby was designed as such to keep non-guests from loitering. We had early registration and requested an early check-in. We were then told to wait at what I would call their "alternative lobby"-- the Serendipity Lounge on the 22nd floor. We were given welcome drinks. By 1:30pm, we were handed our room key card.

We stayed in a one-bedroom Serendipity suite as we were with our three-year-old and his nanny. The room had a mini-hallway that widened to reveal a home-away-from-home room-- writing desk, kitchen, a four-seater dining table, and complete living room furnishings. The bedroom is quite small yet still able to accommodate another writing desk, and is used the same as the LCD TV stand. The bathroom is rather large. Hotel could have used the "extra" space to create a bigger bedroom instead.

Housekeeping was quick to respond to fix our clogged toilet and non-functioning living room air-conditioner. We patiently waited for over 3 hours to let the air-conditioner (already set to 18 degrees) to cool the room, but to no avail. While the Engineering crew was able to come to our room in less than 3 mins upon informing Housekeeping, they were not able to make it work (they fiddled with the circuit breaker). Kept the bedroom door open instead till bedtime.

We had guests for dinner and had in-room dining-- superb dishes from Serendipity Lounge! Hubby and son went swimming (the smallest hotel swimming pool I've seen) the following day. The Jacuzzi right beside the pool was very ideal for children.

Waited for about 20 minutes to be seated at Restaurant 5 for our breakfast. Breakfast was so-so. Ummm... no sausages?

Were it not for the clogged toilet (by 10pm, it was clogged again- water would go down super slow) and the fan-only living room air-conditioner, it was an over-all pleasant stay. :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Discovery_Leisure_Co, Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Thincrust88,

Many thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We welcome and truly appreciate your feedback. Our Engineering team has reported to us that your issues have all been addressed. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you encountered during your last stay.

We trust that you will give us another opportunity to correct any negative impression you have of our hotel. I will make sure that your next experience with us will be more pleasant.

Yours truly,

David
Resident Manager

Reviewed April 2, 2013

My family and I spent Easter Sunday here. We've stayed at the other Discovery hotels in the past. Particularly the newest one in Boracay sets a rather high bar so I was a tad bit disappointed with what we experienced. We stayed at what was supposedly the renovated Serendipity Junior Suite. The only plus point were the 2 queen size beds but apart from that there was nothing else that you would not expect of a hotel in this class. Given it was a renovated room we stayed at, I can only guess what awaits those who stay in the older rooms. The common facilities such as the lobby, elevators, breakfast restaurant could use their own renovation. The elevators were particularly slow and confusing. We parked at Basement 4 and were taking the guest elevators but after pressing the Up button to hail one, the light went out and would not light back up. So we had no idea whether an elevator was coming or not. No further pushing of the call button helped so after a while we just went and took the service elevator to the lobby. The lobby had an area marked as "Reception" which was unmanned when we arrived. Apparently you checked in at the other counter marked as "Guest Services", which is again confusing. After check-in, we were attempting to go up to our room on the wrong set of elevators that serviced the upper floors of the building, which I suppose is for long term residents. There was however no signage at all posted at the elevator lobby or the main lobby to this effect. A few confusing minutes later we finally were directed to the right set of elevators and finally got to our room.

The room as I mentioned above was really nothing special. Apart from the 2 queen size beds there was a love seat, coffee table and working desk. A standard flat screen TV and DVD were also available plus a micro component HiFi. WiFi was available but the signal was rather weak. The bathroom had a shower stall separate from the tub.

Breakfast as has been commented on repeatedly was really nothing special. Admittedly I liked the pomodoro pasta they had on offer the day we were there but I would not really consider pasta breakfast food. There are probably better value options for breakfast nearby.

Location wise the hotel is just across the road from Podium Mall. A further few minutes walk away is Megamall. So certainly for shopping and dining the hotel is well positioned. While I have not really been to any business function or meeting at any of the Ortigas offices, I would guess that Discovery's location is pretty central as well for the typical business traveller with business within the Ortigas CBD.

I hope they soon spend the effort to refurbish this facility to bring it up to the standards of their newer hotels. I would consider staying again depending on the rate on offer mainly because of the good location.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RRGT

Dear RRGT,

Greetings from Discovery Suites.

We would like to thank you for this very candid review. I would like to let you know that your comments are duly noted, and there have been discussions already with our Engineering, Housekeeping and Food & Beverage teams on how to correct and remedy these issues.

Again, our sincere gratitude for bringing these issues to our attention. I hope that in you will give us another opportunity to serve you again.

David
Resident Manager

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is not the first time I have checked in at Discovery Suites in Ortigas. During my time as City Councilor of Pasig, I stayed here a couple of times but today is the most disappointing of them all. My family decided to choose to go on Staycation rather than beat the traffic of going back to our family's rest house in La Union, and decided to book a 3 Bedroom Serendipity Suite at Discovery.
Here are a couple of good and bad points that I have experienced:

Good:
- Since the last time I checked in, the place is well maintained and has undergone a decent and good renovation.
- The Service Staff from the Front Office and the Bell Service provided professional and outstanding service to us.

Bad:
- They did not anticipate the bulk of people that stayed in the hotel so we had to wait 25 minutes to get us seated to have our breakfast.
- We were led to our suite after waiting a whooping 2 1/2 hours.
- An employee named Jay, who was assigned as a Guest Services Officer, took a phone call of mine that I requested to be connected to the Front Desk and he insisted that he would help me with my concern. So I requested for a late check-out, which was initially approved to a 1 PM check-out. Jay told me that he can only give me until 12 noon. He started explaining that I was staying in a Big room and so on and so forth. I understand his concern, however the Front Desk staff approved me for a 1 PM check-out and has asked me to call a little later so as to check if he can accommodate me until 2 PM. Jay definitely did not check my records initially which I know for a fact that has a note of my initial request that was approved and decided to argue with a client.

This is the first time I felt that a hotel has definitely showed inhospitable actions towards a guest. I've stayed in so many hotels and definitely the interiors of Discovery is Overwhelmingly Outstanding but with Service People like the aforementioned definitely makes it just an average hotel for me.

Room Tip: 3-Bedroom Suites can perfectly fit a family of 6 Adults and 2 Kids
2  Thank Jam T
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Me and my team had a team building/business planning here at Discovery Suites Ortigas.

Our company reserved the room for us. We waited for a couple of minutes for us to be assisted to our room. Ending up with me and my team checking in at past 4pm.

1. As we waited for our room to be fixed, we were told to wait at the 21st floor to get our complimentary drinks. I was told that someone will call us for us to be informed that our room is ready- but no one did. I took the initiative to ask for us to be assisted.

2. As the room wasnt available yet, I was told that we will take instead take their Admiral Suites. Excited? Of course, but wait, when we arrived and excited to go inside the room, me and my group were surprised to see that the door was open. And when we went inside, the room isnt prepared yet. It even has this welcome banner addressed to someone else!. Admittedly, the room is sooo spacious but only has 1 bedroom! We were sold to the idea that we will occupy the said room but then again, another issue came up.

3. The Admiral suites shouldnt be under my name. So we were asked to if we want to transfer and we said yes, as the new room being offered has 3 bedrooms w/c will fit my team. The room looks like an old condo unit with old furniture and fixtures. It has very comfortable beds and very clean restrooms. However, the flat screen tv at the master's bedroom gets busted every now and then w/c we even need to unplug once in a while as the remote wont fix it. One good thing is that they have strong wifi connection w/c I really appreciate.

By the way, the check in time in this hotel is 3pm vs 2pm in some other hotels nearby. The food choices for the buffet breakfast isnt much too.

Anyways, if given a chance, I will go back here. I really like the courtesy that everyone showed up during our stay! KUDOS!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Louieboytoy
Discovery_Leisure_Co, Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Louieboytoy,

Many thanks for your candid review. I will share what you have posted with our Front Office and Housekeeping team and see how we can avoid a similar experience in the future.

We appreciate very much your willingness to try us out again. If and when you do decide to stay at Discovery Suites, let us know. In the meantime, be assured that the departments concerned will be asked to review and implement corrective actions if warranted and necessary.

David.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at Discovery suites for two weeks and it truly was the closest thing to home possible. But without the chores!
Because the service was excellent. Everything from room service to laundry service was provided by the super friendly, always helpful, and very polite staff.
Four of us stayed in a beautiful two bedroom two bath suite with living room, dining room, and full kitchen. All possible amenities were included such as AC with thermostats in each separate room, cable tv in both bedrooms and in the living room, ample closet space, safe, huge bathroom,etc. Even the couple of times we had a problem - a clogged toilet and a problem with bedsheets, the staff corrected them very fast and in a very friendly, helpful manner. I really can't say enough nice things about the staff. They truly are amazing. They do everything from greeting you by name when you enter the lobby to pampering your every need.
Additional luxuries such as the bountiful breakfast buffet that has a full philipino and western spread with everything you'd ever want for breakfast, to the full gym where we were always just two of about four people working out, and the sauna and steam room that I had all to myself! I didn't even have time to get to the pool, which also looked clean and good.
The location is great, there are malls, restaurants, and more Starbucks than you can believe right outside your door! It's also central enough that you can get to all other attractions, and parts of the city relatively easily without sitting in too much of the notorious Manila traffic.
There's also a good restaurant on top of the hotel, and a smoking lounge, both overlooking the city.
Overall, it's a great, luxurious, comfortable place to stay, with excellent service.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank bqRockers
Discovery_Leisure_Co, Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear BqRockers,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us at Tripadvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your time with us. Allow me to share this review with our staff. I am sure that they will appreciate your kind words. It will also demonstrate to them that their hard work and commitment to the Discovery service philosophy of “service that’s all heart’ is continually bearing fruit and being recognized.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Discovery Suites

Yours truly,

David Pardo de Ayala

Reviewed March 8, 2013

As a first time guest at this hotel, I was very impressed right from the start. We stayed in a two-bedroom suite. The rooms were clean and large and was able to accommodate visiting relatives. I left the Philippines at a young age and grew up in the States. Very rarely would I find where customer service reigns. The staff truly made our stay memorable. All were courteous, kind and so accommodating. I'm a big breakfast eater, therefore I enjoyed many of the Filipino dishes I remembered eating as a kid. The tosino, langonisa, garlic fried rice and mostly champorado. One morning I was looking forward to a hearty bowl of champorado when the pot was replaced with soup. I must have grunted loud enough for Batch (a wait staff) to hear and see my disappointment. He asked if he should ask the chef to make some for me but I declined because we were heading out early. He promised that he will have a bowl ready for me the following breakfast. We took a trip the following day and didn't make it back until the next morning. Lo and behold, the next morning Batch remembered me and presented me with the most delicious bowl of my beloved champorado, as promised! Now that's customer service. Thank you Batch and Discovery Suites for truly making our stay memorable!!!

Room Tip: Request for a corner suite where it's quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear TESS217,

My heartfelt thanks and appreciation for the kind words about Discovery Suites. We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Everyday, we encourage our staff to make every guest that encounter a memorable one. I am elated that Batch was able to make a good impression on you. I will personally share this post with Batch and pray that it will further inspire others to live the Discovery commitment of providing ‘Service That’s All Heart” .

We look forward to seeing you again at Discovery Suites.

Yours sincerely,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pasig
Marco Polo Ortigas Manila
#7 of 22 in Pasig
Edsa Shangri-La
Edsa Shangri-La
#1 of 7 in Mandaluyong

Been to Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines? Share your experiences!