“Your own apartment in the middle of Manila, with a full service staff!”

Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Pasig
Queens, NY
“Your own apartment in the middle of Manila, with a full service staff!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at Discovery suites for two weeks and it truly was the closest thing to home possible. But without the chores!
Because the service was excellent. Everything from room service to laundry service was provided by the super friendly, always helpful, and very polite staff.
Four of us stayed in a beautiful two bedroom two bath suite with living room, dining room, and full kitchen. All possible amenities were included such as AC with thermostats in each separate room, cable tv in both bedrooms and in the living room, ample closet space, safe, huge bathroom,etc. Even the couple of times we had a problem - a clogged toilet and a problem with bedsheets, the staff corrected them very fast and in a very friendly, helpful manner. I really can't say enough nice things about the staff. They truly are amazing. They do everything from greeting you by name when you enter the lobby to pampering your every need.
Additional luxuries such as the bountiful breakfast buffet that has a full philipino and western spread with everything you'd ever want for breakfast, to the full gym where we were always just two of about four people working out, and the sauna and steam room that I had all to myself! I didn't even have time to get to the pool, which also looked clean and good.
The location is great, there are malls, restaurants, and more Starbucks than you can believe right outside your door! It's also central enough that you can get to all other attractions, and parts of the city relatively easily without sitting in too much of the notorious Manila traffic.
There's also a good restaurant on top of the hotel, and a smoking lounge, both overlooking the city.
Overall, it's a great, luxurious, comfortable place to stay, with excellent service.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank bqRockers
Discovery_Leisure_Co, Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear BqRockers,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us at Tripadvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your time with us. Allow me to share this review with our staff. I am sure that they will appreciate your kind words. It will also demonstrate to them that their hard work and commitment to the Discovery service philosophy of “service that’s all heart’ is continually bearing fruit and being recognized.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Discovery Suites

Yours truly,

David Pardo de Ayala

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Farmington, Connecticut
Reviewed March 8, 2013

As a first time guest at this hotel, I was very impressed right from the start. We stayed in a two-bedroom suite. The rooms were clean and large and was able to accommodate visiting relatives. I left the Philippines at a young age and grew up in the States. Very rarely would I find where customer service reigns. The staff truly made our stay memorable. All were courteous, kind and so accommodating. I'm a big breakfast eater, therefore I enjoyed many of the Filipino dishes I remembered eating as a kid. The tosino, langonisa, garlic fried rice and mostly champorado. One morning I was looking forward to a hearty bowl of champorado when the pot was replaced with soup. I must have grunted loud enough for Batch (a wait staff) to hear and see my disappointment. He asked if he should ask the chef to make some for me but I declined because we were heading out early. He promised that he will have a bowl ready for me the following breakfast. We took a trip the following day and didn't make it back until the next morning. Lo and behold, the next morning Batch remembered me and presented me with the most delicious bowl of my beloved champorado, as promised! Now that's customer service. Thank you Batch and Discovery Suites for truly making our stay memorable!!!

Room Tip: Request for a corner suite where it's quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear TESS217,

My heartfelt thanks and appreciation for the kind words about Discovery Suites. We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Everyday, we encourage our staff to make every guest that encounter a memorable one. I am elated that Batch was able to make a good impression on you. I will personally share this post with Batch and pray that it will further inspire others to live the Discovery commitment of providing ‘Service That’s All Heart” .

We look forward to seeing you again at Discovery Suites.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

i m staying currently here. and writing this from one of its room. this place is much better than other around here.
its value from money. room interior is good and so is gym and room service.
but very less option for veg food

• Stayed February 2013
Discovery_Leisure_Co, Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear NITINKATIPN,

Thank you for your post. We appreciate your comments about our rooms, our gym and
room service.

We will share your comments about adding vegetarian dishes in our menu with the chef and see how we can add these to our usual offers.

We look forward to welcoming you at Discovery Suites very soon.

qc
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Spent new year's weekend in this hotel with family (dec 30-jan 1). We occupied two junior suites and were given a room facing the Podium. Enjoyed the view specially during new year's eve fireworks display as we can see the fireworks all over the metro. Though one of the suites was quite small compared to the other suite given to us it was clean and not cramped.
Breakfast was ok but not something you will look forward to. But the staff were very attentive to the guests needs. Same thing with the hotel staff. They are very courteous and helpful, unlike in other hotels I've stayed in.
Location was great as it is very near the malls. Plus they even had New Year's Mass service at the Penthouse which was really convenient for us.
Minor downside were: that the elevator was too slow specially when there are a lot of guests. It took about 5-10 minutes of waiting for the lift. Also, you could smell the cigarette smoke while you are at the hall.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view. Corner suites are smaller.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank caramelmacchiato
Discovery_Leisure_Co, Manager at Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Caramelmacchiato,

Thank you very much for your post. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we are looking forward to welcoming you back.

You will be pleased to know that changes are underway that will greatly improve the breakfast experience in the hotel. Issues concerning the slow elevators have been resolved and will not be a problem when you return.

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I have just left after three nights on a business trip. I have stayed at discovery in the past and if I had a choice again, I will not return.

The staff are typical of most Manila hotels, always calling you sir and checking on your well being, thus hard to fault. But the facilities are not good. There was a rattling noise in my room, the same noise that was in a similar room two years earlier - my advice is it avoid rooms overlooking ADB avenue. The plumbing needs fixing and the Internet unreliable.

For me the biggest disappointment was the breakfast. When compared with other similar priced hotels it was not good. No fresh eggs mad limited options for the health conscience.

I must say the gym is above the standard you would normally expect. It has real weights and good machines.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sam S
Dear Sam S,

Thank you for your constructive inputs about Discovery Suites. With regards to the state of our rooms, you may be pleased to know that the renovation of our guestrooms is ongoing. We have been implementing a “roll-out” of our accommodations called the Serendipity Suites, for quite some time now and a lot of our regulars are very happy about this development. We hope that we can welcome you again at Discovery Suites and book our renovated accommodations. About breakfast, our kitchen team is now on top and devising ways and measures to make this a much more pleasurable experience. The results have been more than encouraging.

Chicago/Colorado
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I probably shouldn't write this review before I've checked out, since things could still go wrong, but I'll amend it if that happens.
I have been very impressed with this hotel since before I checked in almost three weeks ago. I am here in MNL on a short-term project that has me working overnight hours at a call center about 15 minutes away. I emailed requesting a quiet room away from elevators and other noise since I knew I would be sleeping during the day. They responded immediately, assuring me that they would do whatever they could to minimize noise. I'm in a suite, at the corner, and I have had no issues with noise whatsoever. That's partly because of the excellent design of the suites, which have a back bedroom, with a door that closes, and a wall that baffles hallway noise. Nice, well-equipped small kitchen, for those who might want to cook, a TV in the living room and bedroom, tub and shower in the nicely tiled bathroom, and separate a/c for living and sleeping areas. In short, the suite is perfect for a long-term stay.
I have used their in-house transportation to get to work at night with pickup every early morning, and the drivers are always on time. I've gotten to know many of them, and they have been a source of history, local culture and politics, and helped with my Tagalog. Front desk staff have been extremely helpful, and everyone in the place addresses me by name every time I see them. I've used the laundry, and one shirt that didn't come back had been returned to the laundry to get a stain out---that had been in it for years--and they got it out! The room service people know my schedule and are careful not to make noise around my room or interrupt during my daytime sleeping. Perhaps the best example of their service is the early morning hostess at their breakfast buffet. One of the other waitresses approached me with a coffee pot, and she jumped between us, put up her hand and said, "No coffee---Mr. Greg has to sleep in the day and can't have coffee in the morning". Excellent!
So, while I've been working long hours and living like a vampire, I have been as comfortable as anyone can be not living at home, and have nothing but praise for the staff and facilities here at Discovery! I guess I forgot to mention that the Podium mall across the street has many restaurants, including a very good 24 hour restaurant, and there is a 7-11 and a Starbucks right outside the entrance. Very convenient.
P.S. To the reviewer I saw who complained because this wasn't the best place for a party, if I had been staying next door to him, I would have called the police. This is a business traveler, long-term hotel, not a party flop house.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed here because Shangri-La and Oakwood were fully booked during a work trip. I think this place is okay, but it's certainly not a hotel for foreigners on business trips, nor is it for tourists that aren't looking to sort of rough it. The corporate rate I paid here was about $130 which is way overpriced for what you get here. The staff were very nice, of course, but the rooms are so old and outdated. I can imagine when it was first opened it was wonderful. But, no renovations seem to have been made. My one-bedroom suite looked okay at first glance. However, the entire living room smelled of curry, as though someone else had cooked curry there for several weeks (or months) - it seeped into the walls and to the air. The bedroom did not smell as strongly, but I had to blast the air conditioning as soon as I got in and close the door between the bedroom and the suite to be able to sleep....because of the terrible smell, I did not spend any time in the hotel room except to sleep. I luckily only had to stay there 2 nights and got to check back into my original hotel. The breakfast was also pretty gross, with very little selection. The yogurt I had was very sugary, and the other options did not look appealing. It looks like most of the hotel now is domestic travelers visiting Manila on a budget.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business