“Nice Hotel in Ortigas Center”

Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Pasig
San Francisco, Ca
“Nice Hotel in Ortigas Center”
Reviewed January 27, 2008

Nice hotel! Though a little overpriced ($200+/Night), it is one of the better hotels in the area. The breakfast buffet is very good and has a great view of the big malls in the area.

We had a 2-room/2-bathroom suite for 4 people and it was big and spacious. The only that bugged me was the drain on the floor in the bathroom; it was dirty and didn't look nice.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank sh0otitsjj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Metro Manila
Reviewed January 25, 2008

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for our one-year anniversary. Since I was not allowed by my doctor to travel out-of-town, we figured to take a breather in one of the hotels in the city. The main consideration we had was its location, it was very accessible to a nearby mall where we can watch a movie and do people-watching in case we find ourselves bored in our room. Another factor we considered was that it had all the amenities we needed found in a home for an overnight stay, a kitchen, dining area and a separate living room.

We clearly made reservations for two adults but when we got there, the bathroom amenities provided was good only for one person. We had to call housekeeping to ask for an additional toothbrush, towel, bathrobe and slippers. What's funny was that when the hotel staff brought the extra robe, it was not the one we expected. Instead of a terrycloth robe, like the one already in place when we arrived, we got a robe with a cloth similar to the ones used in hospitals. I don't know if I'm just expecting too much but in other hotels, we have two of each items which guests are expected to use. There was no hair dryer in contrary to what was said when we made our booking. Despite our call, no one came to bring us one. We didn't bother to make a follow-up since it was late in the evening so I ended up sleeping with wet hair. One of the remote controls was not functioning properly, I had that noted when an attendant came up to bring our additional requests. These things may sound trivial but for a seasoned traveller like I am, these are little things that are standard for even a three-star hotel which Discovery Suites is far known for. It was really disappointing and inconvenient for us to be hassled with such.

On the lighter side, the bed was very comfortable. The sheets were soft and the pillows fluffy. Although, the bed could've been a little bigger. For a one-bedroom suite, it only had a twin-sized bed. The breakfast was also good.

The saving grace of this hotel is its location, cleanliness and the friendly disposition of its staff. There is still a lot of room for improvement.

• Liked — Serenity inside the rooom
  • Disliked — Lack of foresight on the part of the management to place the needed amenities
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank attyloren
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 23, 2008

Discovery Suites is located opposite some shopping centre called podium.
We stayed there for 1 night on 10th January.

Upon trying to find the hotel which is getting annoying now with Philippine hotels, is the entrance to these hotels. Its either the main street or back street that is the main entrance with these hotels. Well we were on the main street which was the address stated but when we asked the security guard, he said we needed to go to the back. So I guess we arrived at the back entrance. Ok so we drove around and arrived in the main entrance which is located at the back street.

The main entrance has enough to fit 3 cars to drop off and I got off to check-in. Upon entering the lobby, it looks professional and not dodgy. It was also impressive that there was free snacks, biscuits and drink so that was good. Check-in went smooth and we got room 1516. We booked a 3-bedroom apartment. We only stated that we checked in 4 people even though you could see 8 people coming and the girl asked how many people are staying, and I said yeah we got visitors. It was weird because we only booked for 4 people yet they gave us 6 coupons because it was a 3-bedroom apartment, oh wells! Just by having them ask was scary enough that they are checking and when we got to our floor, they got cameras so that was unusual for a hotel to have but good in a way I guess.

We got into the room and compared to Linden Suites, it seemed a bit old. It was pretty big the kitchen table and the lounge was ok. The kitchen was in a separate room and then rooms were ok. Master Bedroom with a massive king size bed, the other 2 rooms connecting to the same toilet, 1 queen bed and the other 2 singles. It was ok although I guess after our experience at Linden Suites, I was a bit disappointed. The rooms were clean and the apartment was alright.

Not sure how breakfast went coz I let my relatives go but I hope it was alright for them. Upon check-out for some reason I had balance owing and I complained how can this be and they said maybe someone ordered a drink at the breakfast or some blah blah, didn’t matter it was only 400PHP but still I planned it so that we wouldn’t have to pay anything. A 3-bedroom apartment booked via hoteltravel costed 200USD which is a rip. I won’t be staying in Discovery Suites if I come back to Pasig.

Overall the apartment was good apart from some small hitches. Unfortunately theres better places and cheaper to go (like Linden Suites) if you stay in Pasig but I’m sure there are people that enjoyed their stay at Discovery Suites.

• Liked — location close to the big shopping malls and free snacks upon check-in
  • Disliked — the price was expensive
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
22 Thank Sydney_Aussie21
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 20, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 days. We decided to stay here after hearing some great reviews from some of our relatives who have stayed here. And they were so right about this place.

I love how this hotel is so close to everything. Just across the street is The Podium mall where you can buy nice stuff. It is also close to SM Megamall where you could do you last minute shopping.

The suite has a kitchen, living room and a separate bedroom. It was nice because for our last night the kitchen came in very handy. We decided to hold a small party in our suite and just cook there instead of going out. The regular sized fridge was able to maintain of our perishable “pasalubongs” before packing them on the day we left.

The food at the breakfast buffet was okay. I wouldn't say that it was bad but it was not great either. Choices were very limited and they had almost the same food for the 3 days that we ate here. ***NOTE: Attire is smart casual.***

Service here was superb! Everybody was very nice, from the front desk peeps to the housekeepers. Our room and bathroom were very well maintained, thanks to our housekeeper. And also, I would like thank our bellboy, Mang Robert. He was so nice from day one until the day we left. If you stay here you have to look for him to receive the best service.

• Liked — service and location
  • Disliked — no free wi-fi access in the room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank issa813
Reviewed August 5, 2007

They have a lovely and comfortable bed, the service was nice and helpful.

• Liked — Bedroom
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2007

Discovery Suites is the only choice for me. "Welcome" is the word that best expresses the general feel of my frequent stays there. From the doorman, to the staff, the accomodations and the food selection... Discovery Suites embraces me like family... my home away from home.

I have also been celebrating my birthday there for four consecutive years and I can only say that I couldn't have chosen anywhere else. Preparations were made to the littlest detail and the food was excellent. They made my birthday celebrations a real party... making the occasion, yes, very special.

At the end of the day... all travelers want to have a goodnight sleep... and Discovery Suites doesnt only promise but actually delivers that. The beds are always a joy to just sink into after a long day... queen size beds and fluffy, fluffy pillows! The room also comes with a small kitchen that is fully equipped.

Over-all, Discovery Suites is THE hotel for me. The best choice... the best accomodations... and the true secret to their success for me ... the best people.

• Liked — the food, bed and the staff
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank loislane801
Reviewed March 31, 2007

Not offen I spend the time to write a review, especially one praising a property. My stay at Discovery Suites, for more than a month, was fabulous. Everyone I came in contact with was friendly and helpful. The rooms, mostly one bedroom suites, are large and the beds are the best I've slept in. You're across the street from the highest end Mall in the country and next to the 2nd largest Mall in the country. Plenty of restrauant options abound in a wide variety ,including Rest 5 in the hotel.
Looking forward to my return for another stay in the fall.

• Liked — the beds and staff
  • Disliked — internet connection
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business