I recently stayed at the Oakwood Premier in Pasig from October 24 to November 6. This was my second trip in a matter of months to Manila for business. The first time I stayed at the Shangri-La Makati so the Oakwood had some pretty big shoes to fill. The Oakwood is a different style of hotel than the Shangri-La so I will try not to make too many comparisons.
Oakwood's service level was preferable to me. On first stay at the Shang, the service was good but could be a bit overbearing. There were tons of people around and you were greeted by 5-6 people just walking to the elevator. Oakwood is not nearly as big or overly staffed. The front desk and security staff is friendly and there when you needed it. Check in was quick and efficient with the staff escorting you and your bags up to the room. He actually refused the tip when I offered. Throughout my stay there, my interactions with the staff were always pleasant. They were always willing to assist and accommodated my requests.
The room itself was astounding. I stayed in room 1703 which was a 1 bedroom suite. I think the room was bigger than my first apartment! I saw the pictures on the website of the room and I actually referred back to them while I was there because I thought I may actually be staying in the room displayed. There is a full kitchen with stove, oven, microwave, full size fridge, dishwasher, and all essential cooking and dining ware. There is also a washer and dryer in one in the unit that only accommodated small loads but worked effectively. On the other hand you also had the option of private dining or having the hotel process your laundry.
Furnishings were contemporary and very comfortable. The decor was very tasteful. There is ample drawer and closet space. I had a king size bed which also had a tall padded headboard. The headboard almost reached the ceiling. This is very convenient for sitting up in bed and reading/watching tv/doing work/etc. Wifi was a bit slow but there is a LAN cable that provides high speed access. The pillows were fluffy and mountainous. The bed was firm enough for support but had enough softness for comfort. I slept very well each night. There were 3 flat screen TVs - 2 large 40" (approx) in the living room and bedroom with DVD players and 1 19" in the bathroom. As a solo traveler it didn't matter much but there was a huge window with blinds for the bathroom. It seemed a bit strange to me but since we're on the subject....
The bathroom was very large. Probably a 10' by 7' room. I mentioned the flat screen TV that is positioned in front of the free standing bathtub and in viewing distance from the toilet. The toilet is a "green" version with two buttons - an option for less water (#1) and an option for more water (#2). There is a hamper provided for your clothes. There are 2 sinks and a glass enclosed shower. The neat thing about the shower is that it doubles as a steam bath. It takes a while to get a good steam going and the controls only allow a max of 30 mins setting. I suggest turning it on for 30 mins to get the steam built up and immediately starting another session before getting in. By the sink there are a number of high end toiletries including glycerin soap, toothbrush and toothpaste, cotton buds, and bath salt.
I ate at the breakfast several times but only because it was included with the package my company booked for me. Breakfast was ok but did not have a lot of variety. There was always one egg dish (although there was an omelette chef on hand), one potato, 2 meats (bacon and something else) and a bread (crepe, pancake, waffle, etc). There was always rice, congee and 1 or 2 Filipino, Chinese and Indian dishes. There is a small selection of cereals and fruits. If it were not included in my package, I probably would not have dined there so often but its not a terrible buffet. I had in room dining once and it was reasonably priced and the food was above average. I didn't use any of the other facilities but there is a fitness center, business center (with guest DVD library)
The only minor complaint I would have about the Oakwood was the transportation service. It is run by Avis and they seemed to have trouble arriving on time or finding the right pick up point consistently. My company had 5-6 people from the company staying at the location and working various shifts using the transportation service. They would all be picked up and dropped off at the same spot but the drivers still had trouble. Overall it wasn't a big deal since they were usually only 10-15 mins late and they were accommodating when I did have to change my pick up times at the last minute but it was the only place I saw a real opportunity for improvement.
Overall the hotel is recommended, especially if you are staying long term. There is Podium down the street with several great restaurants and Megamall which is 5 mins walk away to get groceries or do some shopping. The location is central to the major business areas of Manila. The staff remembers you after a few days and will frequently greet you by name. I started to feel at home at the Oakwood but knew that I could have the luxuries of a hotel, like housekeeping, room service, laundry, etc, if I wanted it. I would definitely suggest giving the Oakwood a try especially if you like the amenities and service of a hotel with the benefits of an apartment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience luxury living, shopping pleasures and business comfort only at the Joy~Nostalg Hotel & Suites Manila Managed by AccorHotels. Ideal for corporate travelers and families on leisure, this five star hotel has the most expansive living space within the metro with a mix of studio executive rooms and suites ranging from 41 sqm to 182 sqm. All rooms are equipped with state-of-the-art entertainment system, only the top of the line kitchen facilities, a shower stall that doubles as a steambath and a washer and dryer among other modern conveniences. Located in the heart of Ortigas Center, Joy~Nostalg Center Manila is steps away from the Asian Development Bank, 100 to 500 meters from a variety of shopping malls and entertainment facilities and 15 kms from the Ninoy Aquino International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Joy Nostalg Manila Managed by AccorHotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oakwood Premier Joy~Nostalg Center Manila Hotel Pasig
- Joy Nostalg Manila Managed By AccorHotels Metro Manila/Pasig, Philippines