“Comforts of home with the luxuries of a hotel”

Joy Nostalg Manila Managed by AccorHotels
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Pasig
Reviewed November 18, 2010

I recently stayed at the Oakwood Premier in Pasig from October 24 to November 6. This was my second trip in a matter of months to Manila for business. The first time I stayed at the Shangri-La Makati so the Oakwood had some pretty big shoes to fill. The Oakwood is a different style of hotel than the Shangri-La so I will try not to make too many comparisons.

Oakwood's service level was preferable to me. On first stay at the Shang, the service was good but could be a bit overbearing. There were tons of people around and you were greeted by 5-6 people just walking to the elevator. Oakwood is not nearly as big or overly staffed. The front desk and security staff is friendly and there when you needed it. Check in was quick and efficient with the staff escorting you and your bags up to the room. He actually refused the tip when I offered. Throughout my stay there, my interactions with the staff were always pleasant. They were always willing to assist and accommodated my requests.

The room itself was astounding. I stayed in room 1703 which was a 1 bedroom suite. I think the room was bigger than my first apartment! I saw the pictures on the website of the room and I actually referred back to them while I was there because I thought I may actually be staying in the room displayed. There is a full kitchen with stove, oven, microwave, full size fridge, dishwasher, and all essential cooking and dining ware. There is also a washer and dryer in one in the unit that only accommodated small loads but worked effectively. On the other hand you also had the option of private dining or having the hotel process your laundry.

Furnishings were contemporary and very comfortable. The decor was very tasteful. There is ample drawer and closet space. I had a king size bed which also had a tall padded headboard. The headboard almost reached the ceiling. This is very convenient for sitting up in bed and reading/watching tv/doing work/etc. Wifi was a bit slow but there is a LAN cable that provides high speed access. The pillows were fluffy and mountainous. The bed was firm enough for support but had enough softness for comfort. I slept very well each night. There were 3 flat screen TVs - 2 large 40" (approx) in the living room and bedroom with DVD players and 1 19" in the bathroom. As a solo traveler it didn't matter much but there was a huge window with blinds for the bathroom. It seemed a bit strange to me but since we're on the subject....

The bathroom was very large. Probably a 10' by 7' room. I mentioned the flat screen TV that is positioned in front of the free standing bathtub and in viewing distance from the toilet. The toilet is a "green" version with two buttons - an option for less water (#1) and an option for more water (#2). There is a hamper provided for your clothes. There are 2 sinks and a glass enclosed shower. The neat thing about the shower is that it doubles as a steam bath. It takes a while to get a good steam going and the controls only allow a max of 30 mins setting. I suggest turning it on for 30 mins to get the steam built up and immediately starting another session before getting in. By the sink there are a number of high end toiletries including glycerin soap, toothbrush and toothpaste, cotton buds, and bath salt.

I ate at the breakfast several times but only because it was included with the package my company booked for me. Breakfast was ok but did not have a lot of variety. There was always one egg dish (although there was an omelette chef on hand), one potato, 2 meats (bacon and something else) and a bread (crepe, pancake, waffle, etc). There was always rice, congee and 1 or 2 Filipino, Chinese and Indian dishes. There is a small selection of cereals and fruits. If it were not included in my package, I probably would not have dined there so often but its not a terrible buffet. I had in room dining once and it was reasonably priced and the food was above average. I didn't use any of the other facilities but there is a fitness center, business center (with guest DVD library)

The only minor complaint I would have about the Oakwood was the transportation service. It is run by Avis and they seemed to have trouble arriving on time or finding the right pick up point consistently. My company had 5-6 people from the company staying at the location and working various shifts using the transportation service. They would all be picked up and dropped off at the same spot but the drivers still had trouble. Overall it wasn't a big deal since they were usually only 10-15 mins late and they were accommodating when I did have to change my pick up times at the last minute but it was the only place I saw a real opportunity for improvement.

Overall the hotel is recommended, especially if you are staying long term. There is Podium down the street with several great restaurants and Megamall which is 5 mins walk away to get groceries or do some shopping. The location is central to the major business areas of Manila. The staff remembers you after a few days and will frequently greet you by name. I started to feel at home at the Oakwood but knew that I could have the luxuries of a hotel, like housekeeping, room service, laundry, etc, if I wanted it. I would definitely suggest giving the Oakwood a try especially if you like the amenities and service of a hotel with the benefits of an apartment.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank achaholic

Reviewed October 24, 2010

Having had a bad experience with a five star hotel in Manila during our last visit, we were extra careful on choosing our accomodation this time round. Oakwood came as a top choice as our meetings were to be held in offices located within walking distance. It being relatively new, we felt Oakwood should be a 'safe' choice.
We chose a studio executive room not knowing it was more suitable for a single traveller. The room is very clean and had a well equipped kitchenette. Furniture and furnishings are new. Bed was very comfortable and room space was actually quite sufficient for 2. The room was cosy and overall very comfortable. The only qualms we had was the lack of a bathtub. We came to know bathtub is available in 1 bedroom suite and onwards.
Security in the hotel is good with access card to assigned room level only. We had a wonderful experience with the staff in the business center - very helpful, patient and welcoming. The indoor pool and jacuzzi is great for some relaxing moments after a tired day.
The food we ordered through room service was great! The variety at breakfast can, however, be better.
Oakwood is well located with malls, eateries, convenience store in the vicinity.
It will definitely be our choice during our next visit to Manila!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank JanSingapore
Reviewed October 20, 2010

There are really only good things to say about Oakwood. The current location is only about a year old – so everything still feels fairly new. The rooms are clean, modern and spacious (beds are very comfortable), service is fantastic (lots of smiling staff who make a huge effort to please and make you feel welcome), great (warm) pool and gym, and a good restaurant (with comfortable couches). Breakfast buffet is great, too. Highly recommended! No doubt we will stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Halgrim
Reviewed September 26, 2010

As a Filipino living abroad, when I go home I normally stay in or near Ortigas to be close to my parents . This year I decided to try Oakwood Premier for the first time, and it really was like being at home away from home.

When in Manila I regularly see my friends and family in my hotel and accordingly it is a positive advantage to have a seperate sitting room and bedroom. When the visitors are young children (nephews and nieces that is) the bedroom is a sanctuary away from the crying, screaming and shouting and the fully equipped kitchen is a must, or at least cheaper than ordering room service.

The bathroom is well equipped, the steam shower is great although frankly for me a TV in the bathroom next to the bath is a little over the top, but who knows some might like this touch of luxury, however pretentious!

I very much liked the fact that high speed broadband (as opposed to wifi which is also available) is accessible in both the bedroom and the sitting room. The rooms are generally well equipped with modern technology.

Security here is excellent. Different floors are ony accessible with the correct swipe card, so each guest can only access his floor and the common facilities. Staff were polite and very helpful especially those at reception and the concierge. One might however say that some of the security arrangements here are crazy, on check in I was dropped off at the hotel by a relation. When I entered the hotel to enquire as to whether my relation could park his car, my bag was searched, I then went out for about a minute during which I was observed by the same guard who had searched me, and when I came in again he insisted on searching as this is standard policy. A little over the top perhaps.

On the downside, the breakfast is satisfactory but definitely could do better.

This is a non smoking hotel, but there is a bar on the 5th floor for those of us who wish to exercise our democartic right to die young from a nasty disease......!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Pawie24
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I have never slept in a better bed in the Philippines then at this hotel. the rooms are excellent. On the 23rd floor you don't hear any noices from the streets below. A good hotel. BUT. Breakfast was not included in my booking so we went down to have breakfast. It was a simple and ordinary sellection and no more what you find at most hotels in the Philippines. When I signed the bill I was chocked. 936 Pesos a person!!!!!???? I felt robbed and blamed myself for not checking the prices before we eat. I have stay a whole night with breakfast included at hotels in the Philippines for that money:)

My advice is to stay at this hotel but stay away from the restaurant and the bar. You find plenty of better choices outside the hotel.

Walking distance to SM Megamall and Robinson Galleria Mall

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hildingson
Reviewed June 20, 2010

When I checked in I was not amused that I had to carry my suitcases by myself up to the reception which was on the other side of the building, probably it was just bad luck that nobody felt responsible, and it was partly my mistake as the hotel has 2 entrances, a main entrance where the reception is located and another entrance which serves mainly people who work or visit the ADB which is located across the road, or as in my case where the taxi driver drops you. When I entered my room I was pleasantly surprised, living room, bed room, kitchen and big bathroom, obviously I had been up-graded to a 1-bedroom apartment. There was nothing missing, free internet LAN connection in living- and bedroom, big TV screen in both rooms plus another one above the bathtub, no idea who would require TV even in the bathroom. The shower can be used as sauna. Really nothing missing at all, if there is an irritation at all then the too many lights and light switches. The breakfast buffet offers a wide range of food but is not as excellent as the rest of the hotel. There is a gym with 4 treadmills and other machines, and there is a pool. Service all over the hotel especially at breakfast: Impeccable!
I checked out for 1 night and when I came back I got a normal room which initially looked small but actually was large enough, again the room had a fully equipped kitchen, and there was a TV set in the bathroom, and the shower could be used as sauna. I hope that the very affordable price is not increased after the hotel is well known in Manila. I almost forgot, there is washing machine in each room for travellers who stay longer.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank kilovolt500
Reviewed March 31, 2010

I stayed in Oakwood Joy-Nostalg from 19-28 March 2010. The staff were very helpful and knowledgeable. The apartment were tastefully decorated. It was fitted with the latest modcons. It was very clean. It was cleaned daily and stocks were replenished regularly. The location is ideal. What more could you ask. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo