“good quality, but expensive and poor breakfast”
Review of The Linden Suites

The Linden Suites
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Pasig
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Usually I stay on the nearby Richmonde hotel, but this time I was booked at The Linden Suites by the company.
The rooms, In fact a two room suite with kitchenette, are large, good quality, comfortable and clean.
However then charges for the room is high and the internet charges is far too high.
The breakfast quality and selection is way below what I expected for the class and price of this hotel.
Regarding the question of value for money, It is my opinion tha the nearby (75m) Richmonde Hotel offers a much better Breakfast, lower room charge, lower internet charge and better Value for the money than Linden Suites.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
TLS-FODM, General Manager at The Linden Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2012

Dear Arne M,

Thank you for highlighting the luxury of space we provide for every guest. We appreciate both your positive and negative comments. Rest assured that we are addressing your concerns promptly.
Should you require assistance on your next stay, please contact us directly.

There are newer reviews for The Linden Suites

Reviewed March 31, 2012

Probably my worse experience following a highly recommended hotel on Trip Advisor.

I will preface this by saying we got off to a very poor start with a horrid taxi ride from the airport so I did not start off in a positive frame of mind. Unfortunately, this hotel did not do anything to distinguish itself and raise my outlook for the evening.

Positive items...
+ big rooms
+ room cost ok
+ opted for the hotel sedan car to the airport. Person driving was outstanding. Very nice and conversational.
+ 20 minutes from airport (if you get a taxi driver who knows where they are going). We did not. No idea if this is common.

Negatives...
- Promised non-smoking room was a smoking room they sprayed to make it seem non-smoking. We walked in on the guy as he finished this task up. It was almost ok but in the morning we woke to smoke smell and it was not appreciated.
- Room cleaniness is poor. There were match stubs under the sofa and chair in the living area. Dirt on the tile floors. Bathrooms had large areas of mold in the grout. Easily the dirtiest hotel windows I have every seen. Looked like someone threw a bucket of wet sand at them (8th floor) and most of it stuck.
- Traffic from street below is very loud. Made it hard to sleep. Horns. engines. All very audible from 8th floor
- Clientel was seedy. Felt like I was sleeping on the upper floor of a dance club. Restaurant has a dress code but only our group and 2 set so business men were following it. Women in cheap scanty mini-skirt dresses, men in t-shirts with tasteless logos all while being loud and vulgar (thanks - my kids learned new words). Not only in the restaurant but in the breakfast lounge but also when we arrived in the "lobby" but the elevators. Night of arrival we must have stumbled into a group of drunks coming from a party somewhere but the act was the same.
- So-so breakfast at a high cost for what you get. If it weren't for the waffle station we would have been done for. Scrambled eggs in the buffet were so runny it looked like someone dumped a 1/2 cup of water in with them. My son got a boiled egg. It was not done all the way through and was unedible.

We were there for one night in transit from Palawan back to Seoul and I did not try to work any of this out with the hotel desk staff. They seemed attentive but I did not have the time or inclination to deal with things. Just wanted to get moving out of there.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lsdjr
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We have made many tripss to Manila and have stayed at Linden Suites evey time. The service is great and we are always greeted by our names. It is like a home away from home. The rooms are spacious and have all of the amenities and facilitys for cooking. Great for inviting friends or family for get together. Room service is limited, not a large menu, but there are many Restaurants close by.

Room Tip: If possible book one bedroom unit with breakfast included. A good buffet and they will prepare your...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
TLS-FODM, Manager at The Linden Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2012

Dear Caphook 19,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Linden Suites. We are delighted to hear that you consider us your home away from home. Your positive comments truly empower us and further motivate our staff to provide excellent personalized customer service.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back at The Linden Suites. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance on your future reservation.

Thank you!

Reviewed March 13, 2012

As I said in my review in 2010, this place has issues with reservations.
Taking a reservation is easy.
Keeping it is the hard part.

My cousin booked a 1br suite for me here because the other hotels I liked were fully booked.
Upon check-in, I was told there were no 1br suite available so I was upgraded to a 2br suite.

The place is nice
The hotel staff were great
The only problem is their reservation system.
I'd stay here again, but I don't know if I can take a chance not having a room available.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank deity_me
Reviewed March 5, 2012

they have good rooms but when i stayed in their hotel.. i booked a SMOKING ROOM... on the spot they gave me a NON SMOKING ROOM... i smoke alot so i cant live without smoking... so i smoked in the room... the next day they charged me a FUMIGATION FEE OF 2,000 PESOS... THEY SUCKS!!!!!!!

Room Tip: double check the rooms even if you already booked in advance
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I have been a frequent visitor to this hotel. And i had a very good experienced everytime i stayed here. But then, everything's not perfect. I had called recently to cancel my reservations because something came up on the day of my reservation. The customer service who answered my call is kinda not that polite. I know by the way she talks that she's kinda irritated. Maybe because she's busy or not in a good mood that time. But then, its not an excused. Nevertheless, Linden will still be my second home and always will:-)

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 24, 2012

My girlfriend and I have stayed here on several occasions because of the location. It is very close to friends of mine, and even closer to some of the best shopping and eating in Manila. The price is a little bit high for the room, but none the less it is a good value for the area.

The staff is about as friendly and accommodating as you could expect. I lost my wallet in a Taxi one night and the staff made sure to get in touch with the taxi service for me and try and find it. The security guard writes down the number of the taxi and the name of the service when you get into it. It sure is nice not having to worry about little things like that. The staff even took it upon themselves to search the hotel for my lost wallet on the chance that I lost it somewhere in the hotel.

Having booked my room online I was not aware that the policy of the hotel was that the online reservations were only if the room was available. The room that I had booked was apparently already filled, so the front desk moved me up to a higher level suite free of charge. This has happened two out of 4 stays here, and both times they gave me the better room at the original price.

The hotel is starting to age, but it is really only evident in a few places. The most noticeable is in the pool room. They had mold and mildew on the walls and ceiling, and the paint was starting to crack and fall off. When we arrived at the swimming pool someone had been smoking inside the room with a window opened up. Not a problem for me since I smoke like a chimney, but it did bother my girlfriend who has asthma. The strongest smell by far though was the chlorine. I am not sure if they had just added the chlorine or they needed more ventilation, but just the chlorine in the air had my eyes starting to water. All of that is bad enough, but the no ventilation really made it worse. There is no fans or Air Con running in the pool room so it becomes quite hot during the day and very stifling. Just a little bit of air movement would have made it a much more pleasant affair. As it was though we toweled off and went back to our room in only 15 minutes.

I was a bit worried when we first booked the hotel because I love Air Con and many hotels in Philippines have very weak Air Con units. That absolutely was not a problem in any of our rooms at this hotel. In fact I would say that it was complete opposite! I would set the thermostat for ~18° and wind up freezing my bottom off by morning. It turns out that their thermostats do not seem to switch off when it hits the temperature that is set, so make sure and put that sucker on low or turn it up a few degrees before bed. The reason I believe it is the thermostat and not me is that it is normal for me to keep my home close to 16° year round, I like it cold.

My absolute biggest complaint with this hotel though is that they charge you for internet. If SM and Starbucks can afford to give me free high speed internet for the cost of a single drink then why does the hotel feel the need to charge me (really high prices) for internet? For 24 hours of internet service it costs 504 Pesos, for a month of service in my home (granted that it is residential service and not large enough for hundreds of guests) is 2000 Peso for 5 MB internet. However even in some much cheaper hotels that I have stayed at in Manila 24 hour access to high speed internet was closer to 100 Pesos. Do not try to turn a profit on what has essentially become a necessity for most travelers. You wouldn't charge for towels, don't charge (at least not the obscenely high prices) for internet.

Charges though does bring me to my next gripe about this place, and probably my last. There is a charge for everything! You want extra towels? Got a charge for that. How about an extra pillow or blanket? Yep, they will hit you for that too. Use of their outdated computers or printer? Another charge. These are things that have become amenities, not currency, in most hotels throughout the world. I guess I could understand if I was staying at a discount hotel (even though many of those offer the same services for free) but I am staying at a fairly expensive (for Philippines) hotel. Please, instead of charging me for bringing in too many drinks or too much food, instead of adding a nickle and dime for towels, dishes, and blankets, and instead of adding onto my bill for a single print job just charge me at the beginning. Do not make your guests constantly add more onto their bill for things that are nothing more then common service.

All in all it is a good hotel, and I will be staying there again. There is definitely room for improvement, but still worth the money. If TripAdvisor had the ability to rate this place 3.5 I would, unfortunately though they do not. The hotel doesn't deserve a 3, but in my mind they don't quite deserve a 4 either. Their great staff (nothing like being called Mr. Manuel by the staff of such a large hotel) and good service pushed me to add that little extra on.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dmanuel2318
TLS-FODM, General Manager at The Linden Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2012

Dear Dmanuel12318,

Thank you for sharing your experience at The Linden Suites. We highly appreciate your feedback as it allows us to improve on areas or services you specified. Your concerns are well noted. As a proactive response to guest concerns, we have reviewed and revised our policies with regard to charges for additional room amenities. We understand your issues about the internet. We are currently in the process of upgrading our internet facilities to provide the best especially to busy business travellers.

On the other hand, thank you for highlighting the effectiveness of our staff. The Linden Suites is committed to constantly provide personalized customer service, everyday. It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your loved ones at the hotel again. Should you require assistance on your future reservations, please feel free to contact us directly at +632 6387878. See you soon!