“highly recommended but would put off staying till they finish renovations”

Kabayan Hotel Pasay
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Pasay
Reviewed October 11, 2007

we stayed in Kabayan Hotel last Oct. 1 for one night since we had a domestic flight scheduled the next day. it was conveniently close to the airport, and it was cheap. I was staying with my husband, our baby daughter, my brother and his girlfriend so we got the Family B room via their website. When we got there, we were actually given a room with 2 single beds and 1 queen size bed, instead of the 1 double bed with a double deck bed seen in the picture, and it was way better than we expected. the rooms were new and clean since it was located in the new building. for the rate we paid for it, plus the free breakfast, we thought it was a steal. the staff were accommodating, the building was new and it had internet access.
But we were rudely awakened by the pounding of hammers and the undeniable sound of construction going on the next morning. only the dead could have slept through all that ruckus, so there was nothing else to do but to go down the cafe and check out the complimentary breakfast. it did say "pasensya na, kabayan" on the room menu that renovations were still going on, but i did not expect to be awakened by hammering. and being a Filipino, I did understand, not so my Japanese husband, to whom i had to apologize and explain that it was my fault for not checking the hotel out thoroughly. but for the price we got for the rooms, it was forgivable. The breakfast was a disappointment, though. for Filipinos, the daily set menus for the complimentary breakfast are edible, but for foreigners, better order off the regular menu
unless you want to grumble all through breakfast about small platings and weird diet.
all in all, I highly recommend the hotel but would hold out staying again till they actually finish the entire building, unless you don't mind hammering noises for an alarm clock.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank riona529
Write a ReviewReviews (1,497)

Reviewed September 23, 2007

I stayed at the Kabayan in Pasay City the night before my flight to the U.S. My Filipino hosts booked it for me. I don't know what is average in Manila, but this place was better than average compared to my stays elsewhere in PI. Of the 5 hotels I stayed in, this one would rank 2nd best. It had a kind of Japanese feel--low bed, complimentary paper slippers on a mat, unfussy furniture, nice TV. Everything was clean, in good repair and seemed new . There was a bit of renovation work going on (heard some hammering) but it stopped in the evening. I slept very well on the nice big mattress, which had the nicest linens I encountered in PI. The bathroom was sparkling, very nice. I ordered room service and the food was fine, not the best meal I had in PI but fine. We had to leave before breakfast was served and the hotel provided us with sack breakfasts that were waiting at the desk when we checked out, which was very nice. Looking at the posts and the Kabayan website, I see that Kabayan actually has 3 different locations, which probably accounts for the differences among the ratings. Tripadvisor should separate these properties for purposes of ratings. At any rate, Pasay City was very nice and perfectly appropriate for the night before or after a flight.

• Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank prairiemom
Reviewed March 13, 2007

kabayan hotel is just the answer to all of the ofw's who need a place to stay before going home. though it's not so fancy but it's clean and the satff are all accomodating. the restaurant offers a lot of filipino dishes that we missed.
we're going back to the philippines again this april & we did our booking already.
keep up the good service!!!

anne

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled with family
7  Thank niko2004
Reviewed March 12, 2007

I spent a few days in this hotel with my family 2+ years ago.
I found it modest but nice place. Clean and offering very good service. I recommend this hotel to my Canadian and European friends.
I enjoyed view seen from the hotel's windows, I attached picture with view from Kabayan Hotel.

Chris M., St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

• Stayed: October 2004
3  Thank Farinaccio
A TripAdvisor Member
Helena, Montana
Reviewed April 3, 2006

We've stayed at the Kabayan several times because the service is excellent and the rooms clean. However, our last stay was annoying because there was a door between us and the ajoining room. The guest in the other room smoked and the smoke got very strong in our room. We asked to be moved and the room that we were moved to was very small, and the window looked into the enclosed fire exit and people were smoking in the stairwell which was sucked into our room. It was not a good situation at all. And, yes I do agree that it is always noisy, but that is Manila.

Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed February 22, 2006

Breakfast is lovely especially their adobo.It is also accesible to the malls and restaurants.The only problem that we encountered is the noise from our room as we are beside the fire exit and it`s also very dark.It`s good that we`ve moved in another room thru our request.I hope that they won`t rent out that room again as it will just destroy the reputation of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 13, 2006

To be honest, we weren't expecting much from this type of "budget" hotel. We were pleasantly surprised though that the people (front desk, drivers, security guard, room cleaners) were all very friendly and accomodating and the hotel areas (hallways, lobby, etc) and room were clean.

The area is not really the type of area for us though as there is a lot of people traffic (MRT just outside), lots of cars/traffic and tricycles along the street, and some areas in the side streets outside the hotel aren't really that clean. It's easy enough to go around though by MRT or taxi to other places of the city.

They did have Internet access (not too expensive) but only 1 pc when we were there. They didn't have a fax or copier in their business office though which we really needed to have at that time (but I guess most travellers to this hotel wouldn't really need those).

Price was not expensive but not very cheap either for this type of hotel.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business