“Comfort and Convenience”
Review of Hotel Jen Manila

Hotel Jen Manila
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Pasay
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at Traders during our annual convention at PICC. Check in and check out were no problem. The beds were comfortable. Bathroom was quite small but adquate. The breakfast buffet was satisfying. Staff were very courteous. I'd say you get your money's worth.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank chumadle

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed here last year and I thought the hotel was very good.

Fairly convenient location although there's not too much in the way of shops and restaurants in the immediate vicinity.

The room was large and well equipped and had a nice view of the bay.
The staff were very helpful and efficient and were able to answer any of the questions I had about where to go/how to get around etc. etc.

The buffet breakfast was excellent - lots of choice for both Asian and Western guests.

Manila is definitely not the most exciting or interesting city I've ever been to but if you're going there I would recommend Traders.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Friendly people greeted us in this modern property situated on the Manila bay. A nice room, well decorated and spacious with en-suite bathroom with bathtub was what we needed to relax after an intercontinental flight. Bedding was optimal.We did not try the restaurant even for breakfast, so cannot tell about it.
It is within reasonable distance from NAIA (dont pay more than 200 PhP) and taxis are available at any hour.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank raobert
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I booked here for 4 nights, (1/11 - 5/11 in room 716. I got a good deal through webjet.com.au, 4 nights (bed & breakfast), for AUD $460.

The room itself was clean, quite large and quiet. I had a nice view of the harbor and of the waterfront. Room included safe, flat screen TV with a number of channels, including both foreign and local channel, as well as movies.

The location is very convenient, as it is along Roxas Boulevard. Right across the road is the Philippine Cultural centre, as well as Harbor Square. Rizal Park & Ocean Park is about a 5 min drive away, same for Mall of Asia. Cost for a taxi to Mall of Asia is about 100 pesos. Airport is a 15 min drive (300 pesos).

I booked the hotel car to take me from the airport to the hotel. Cost was about 900 pesos. Good service, and as this was my maiden journey to Manila, it saved me from being ripped off by a rogue taxi driver. The car was clean and the driver courteous.

Amenities are close to the hotel.There are a number of nice restaurants at the waterfront, consisting of both fast food, nice restaurants and cafes. To the left of the hotel there is an ATM. Only let down was a lack of a 7-11 type store nearby, where you could buy bottled water, etc.

Be careful though, as I found that Traders is almost on the border of the better part of the city. To the airport side of the hotel is a few restaurants, but also on that side of the hotel, the scenery is pretty run down and is inhabited by the homeless, as well as a number of seedy looking KTV lounges and "massage parlors". I wouldn't walk down this part of town at night. I had no problem though, walking down past the harbor towards Rizal Park at night, as there was always a lot of people out jogging or walking around.

The breakfast selection is nice and varied. I had no problem with this. Staff were courteous.

I would suggest that if you are in Manila for sight seeing, don't use the travel agents, as booking through them will cost you double as what it would if you booked them yourself. EG: Going to Corregidor Island was AUD$90 through the agent, or online, but I booked the tour myself, directly with the provider and it only cost me AUD$50.

The only negative I had with this hotel, was that the staff gave my booked room away when I arrived on Friday morning. I had booked for an extra night, (Thurs night), as my plane arrived early Friday morning, (6am), so I booked a room for Thurs night, so that I didn't have to wait until 2pm to check in. Staff informed me that if you don't show by midnight, they can give your room away, and I reminded them that their website states they will hold a reservation for 24hrs from the 2pm check in time. After waiting for 40 mins for a room, this was finally sorted out. Still after a sleepless night, as well as being sleepless on the plane, I was not happy.

Still would I stay here again, certainly.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Dan A
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights on the way to Boracay.My flight got in at 6am.then i had a transfer to the Traders.Got to the hotel about 7 am and was greated by a very rude lady at the front desk..She told me that i cant check in till 2 pm as that was their policy.I asked if i could pay for a upgrade and was told no ,just sit over there till 2 pm ..Sorry i had a overnight flight ..So i just sat and waited till my check in time ,,ggrrr..After check in i went down to the pool ..Not a very nice place..Long grass .needs a little T L C ..The room was spottles .breakfast was very good ..Apart from the rude horrible lady atthe front desk i did enjoy my stay

Room Tip: Dont get a overnight flight
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank vikkey_12
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed twice for few nights. Very pleasant place. All staff is ready to help. Not bad massage. Breakfast is average but ok.
In general this hotel left very good impression.
Paid something above usd 120.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank xMIGx
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed there to bond and catch up. The location is very convenient as it is along Roxas Boulevard which is a national road in Manila. Right across is the CCP complex (CCP, PICC, Folk Arts Theater, Harbour Square) which are all within walking distance, then again, you may hail a cab if you're not familiar with the area. Shopping and eating areas close to the hotel (1 block away) are Harrison Plaza and Hypermarket, although I recommend being alert and warry while walking around the area especially at night. Places that are ~15-minute cab ride (if traffic permits) are the US embassy, Japanese embassy, DFA, SM Mall of Asia, Robinson's Place (mall), Intramuros, the National Museum, Rizal (Luneta) Park, Remedios Circle, Rajah Sulayman Park. It is also about 20 minutes away from Makati and NAIA (airport).

The room has all the basic facilities (room service, daily housekeeping, laundry service, mini-bar, coffee- and tea-making facility, medium bottles of complimentary water, slippers, toiletries, body,face,hand,foot towels, hot and cold shower/sink, cable TV, closet with clothes hanger, in-room safe, mini-desk) and more (wifi, iron with board, daily newspaper, bath tub on the shower area, bathrobes, small couch with coffee table). Outside calls are charged, however. The mattress is a bit hard but they do have a number of soft beddings on it making it very comfortable to sleep on. Their windows are from floor to ceiling, giving us an unobstructed view of Roxas Boulevard, CCP complex, and part of Manila Bay beside the complex. The curtains are thick enough if you want to sleep in come daybreak.

They serve buffet breakfast, which we weren't able to avail. The swimming pool (~80% of which is a lap pool with ~20% wading pool about 4-5 feet deep) is small, and closes at 7pm. Room service is very good as they will try to accommodate your every need, although sometimes slow to arrive yet understandable since these (slow room service) happened late in the evening.

I rated this hotel very good since for its purpose (which is a hotel that mostly caters to people doing business in these parts of Manila), they certainly have the facilities, and can offer you what you need: service, comfort, and convenience.

Room Tip: For a better view, ask for a room facing Manila Bay/Roxas Boulevard
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends