The Heritage Hotel Manila
  • Room Service
  • Free Internet
Hotel Sogo(Pasay)
2,066 results
All reviewsclose to the airportclub floorfree shuttlebuffet breakfastshort staysm mall of asiashuttle servicemanilataximoasecurityfilipino
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 8, 2007

I stayed at the Heritage twice-once in
August 2006 and then in July 2007. My second stay was really BAD - as if it was not the same hotel. The rate per room was not the rate originally quoted -it was much higher. At the desk they explained it away by saying rates are increased when the hotel gets more crowded. That's BS because the hotel was no where near full capacity. Our breakfast was not included (about $ 20 usd each) despite the original agreement that it was included. The "add ons" at check out were way out of line. Despite the fact that the hotel was near the airport , their charge to the airport was 4 times higher than than local taxis. In summary, this hotel is a " big rip off" and I would NEVER stay there again. The pool was in disrepair as was many other parts of this once -beautiful hotel. New management is badly needed. Staff was polite, food
was good (not great) but way over-priced. My impression was that foreigners were exploited as compared to locals.
donald_ccr@yahoo.com

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ronald555
Reviewed August 15, 2007

Traveling to Manila to undertake exams at the Airman’s Examination Office in Manila my fellow pilot and I decided to stay at the 5 star Heritage Hotel as it was close to the Airport, opposite the EDSA entertainment complex and has a Casino and a pool.

Firstly I was put in it a room on the newly decorated 7th Floor, my nose filled with the strong scent of fresh paint upon entry which was a bit nauseating at first but I figured was an unavoidable inconvenience of a newly renovated floor (lick of paint more like).

Having arrived from Hong Kong I wanted to take a shower and freshen up before going out for dinner, I switched on the TV and opened up the minibar to grab a cold beer and......empty......nothing.....apparently at this alleged '5 star' hotel you need to request that they put something in your minibar when you check in........not having much time to ponder the stupidity of this (considering I had left US$100 deposit for 2 nights and the room was pre-paid) and needing head out in 15 mins, I went to the bathroom and switched on the shower...... to my surprise the shower water temperature was boiling, seriously, it was spitting out of the shower head at over 100c and after just a few seconds the room was so thick with steam you couldnt see your hand in front of your face.....had I been in the shower at the time I would have easily suffered disfiguring scold burns and voiced this at the reception desk, in fact just switching off the water resulted in a number of bright red blotches on my hand where boiling water droplets ahd hit me.......however, rather than try to fix the problem the hotel actually suggested that I don’t shower, or wash with a hand towel from the sink instead for the duration of my stay!

A number of guests were checking in at the time so I increased volume and demanded that they fix it or change my room, and that a person could be disfigured for life if they were unluckily enough to step into the bath tub and turn on the shower.

So, reluctantly the hotel gave me a room on the 9th floor, the room was slightly run down and old looking but the worst thing was simply......the smell..........it smelt so bad in there it was like a skunk had died in the ceiling and started to decompose, a strong, nauseating stench that rips right to the bone, not simply a stale nicotine smell or a moldy bathroom odour, but something vomit inducing and foul.

It was so bad i went back to reception and demanded another room, the receptionist claimed that there were no other rooms available and that the chambermaid would be along to spray the room with air-freshener (although one would have expected divine intervention and an exorcism would have had little effect on the evil emitting from that room).....and she never arrived anyway.

Later that night after a few drinks in the lobby we heading into the Casino for a bit of a gamble, as luck would have it after an hour or so I found myself with a healthy profit and decided to call it a night and turn in, firstly the woman at the exit told me it is forbidden to take gambling chips out of the casino, even though I am a guest in the hotel and planned to come back the following night, but I suspect this is just a lame ploy to entice people to gamble longer....being tired I decided to cash in my chips instead and was taken aback by the cross-examination I received from the cashier....how much did I start with?, how long had I been playing?...which games had I played??....when are you leaving?...are you coming here tomorrow? he then very rudely counted out my winnings aloud in front of me whilst staring coldly into my eyes in a manner that suggested that you are not suppose to 'Win' in a Filipino casino.

Went to my room and fell into and alcohol induced deep sleep with the duvet up over my head to limit the stench of the room.

Next morning and exams over we decided to take a swim in the pool and spend time with our books poolside revising for the next days exams, there is an outdoor pool and a mysterious pool on the third floor that I decided to investigate but which turned out to lead to the fire escape on the third floor that leads back down to the outdoor pool, very odd indeed....the pool turned out to be a train wreck, I have never in my 14 years in Asia seen a pool in such a bad state, moldy and disgusting, surrounded by shoddy looking old lounger chairs without covers sitting on a concrete base, and this in a hotel that claims the prestigious title of ‘5-Star’, needless to say there was nobody at the poolside.

All in all my experience at the Heritage was bad on both occasions I stayed, I normally stay at the Hyatt on Roxas when in Manila, but unfortunately it had been closed for renovation prompting my stay at the Heritage instead, on my last trip to Manila (June 2007) I opted for the Hyatt Regency and both my friend and I were very pleased.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
7  Thank Capt_Pants
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I visited the hotel twice in the last 4 weeks.

I chose the hotel because it was close to the airport. I guess it was and avoiding the hussle and bustle of Manila traffic is probably unavoidable. It was about 5 kms away from the International terminal.

The staff are very welcoming, cheery and helpful. I must state that the security is excellent. There are security personnel checking activity and I even had my luggage scanned upon arrival for possible danger. I did not mind these checks.

The rooms are comfortable although there are some small issues worth noting. On my first visit the shower nozzle sprayed water high into the air, hitting the light above the bath/shower. This is definately dangerous. Overall, the showers and bathrooms were well stocked and spacious. I asked for non-smoking rooms and could not detect any smell of cigarettes, which previous reviews on this site have reported.

The beds are comfortable and the pillows adequate. The air-conditioning is very welcomed after being out in the humidity.

I dined in the hotel's restaurant and had a delicious breakfast as part of my room price. I dealt directly with the hotel on both visits and received an impressive price of $US108.00.This is cheaper than quoted prices on other websites.

I did have to wait 4 hours for my room on the second visit which was annoying and had to check back with reception every hour. I note that If i did not check with reception of the readiness of my room, reception would not have fetched me from the sitting room, as they said they would.

Overall, i did like The Heritage and found the staff very good. Will I return to the hotel in the future?? Strangely enough, YES. There is something quite alluring about the place.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank BusinessClass3
Reviewed July 15, 2007

I have stayed at the Heritage every few months for the last 10 years & I had noticed the hotel was just getting run down & old. I was pleasantly surprised on this trip. I stayed two nights on the 7th floor & all the rooms have been renovated.

No more traffic noise or peeling yellow paint. Everything was new or had been painted with new windows.

Finally a nice hotel close to the airport.

No problem with check in/out & the staff were very friendly. I had breakfast in the Executive Lounge & the regular restaurant & both places were fine (restaurant was a little busy).

Internet access costs about $10/day & was OK

I will be going back for another stay in about a week.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Superbuyer
Reviewed March 9, 2007

The Heritage Hotel is a bit overpriced, but my stay there was rather enjoyable. The staff was very attentive and the room was adequate.. although the coffee -maker didn't work. I had an excellent view of Manila Bay and the skyline of Makati from my room. If you are a gambler, you might find the adjacent casino an attractive feature. The hotel is located in a very busy and noisy area near Roxas Boulevard. The travel distance from the airport to the hotel is approximately 15 minutes in non-rush hour.. about 40 minutes during rush hour. There are other more reasonable hotels to stay at in Metro Manila, but this one has a bit of luxury to add to your Philippine adventure.

• Stayed: January 2006