“Overpriced. Fancy lobby, disgusting rooms.”

Remington Hotel Manila
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Pasay
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We picked this airport because it was near the airport and we need a place to stay upon arriving and leaving Manila. We stayed 2 separate nights. The hotel is located in a upscale shopping center called Resort World which is misleading considering the state of the rooms.

There is a metal detector and a dog that has to sniff all your bags upon entering. The lobby is very nice and open with chandeliers, however the fancy lobby seems to prove as a facade because the rooms (at least the standard rooms) are bare bones and not that clean.

The rooms reek of cigarettes. When I asked for a non-smoking room the 2nd time around they said they didn't have any. They don't supply hand soap and you only get a shower towel, no hand towels. The room was dirty, hairs on the bed, grim in the bathroom, etc. And the shower has no door and the layout of the bathroom causes the water to go everywhere. Further, neither night we stayed there was there hot water, only luke warm water for the shower.
Despite the air conditioner, our room remained super humid. I almost slipped and fell when I woke up in the morning because it was so humid that the floor was actually wet and slimy.

Our 2nd night there they could get the key to work and it took over an hour for them to fix it. Also at 3 am we awoke to someone trying to open our door. I don't know who it was or what was happening but it's alarming to awake in the middle of the night to someone attempting to open your hotel door.

All this would be maybe understandable if the rate was lower. But with taxes, we paid $90--that's a decent amount in the Philippines and I expected more than a dirty and humid barrack type room for the price.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank overpacker16
RWManila, Manager at Remington Hotel Manila, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Greetings from Resorts World Manila!

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments and unfortunately your complain about the quality, cleanliness and the security of our rooms. On behalf of Remington Hotel, please accept my deepest apologies for the inconvenience you were caused during your stay with us. Your comments have certainly raised many areas of concern that need to be addressed and will inspire us to strive harder for our future guests. Rest assured that our utmost priority is the comfort, convenience and safety of our guests.

Regarding the cleanliness of our rooms, we have instructed our Housekeeping Manager to rectify the problem immediately. We are also continuously improving our facilities and adding up our lineup of amenities to ensure that we are able to provide everything that guests might need during their stay. We will also strengthen the security of our hotel, making sure that your experience would not happen again.

We hope this experience will not impair your trust in Remington Hotel, or for that matter, Resorts World Manila. I hope that you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you again soon. If I can ever be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

There are newer reviews for Remington Hotel Manila

Reviewed March 22, 2012

From the outside, it seemed like a very nice and kinda posh hotel. We got a regular room for about 4k pesos (about usd100). We were told that they're newly opened so the amenities like coffee maker and some others are not ready yet. We thought it's alright however when we got in the room, there's not even a soap! We called the front desk and asked for some basic bathroom amenities and we were told that we have to buy our own! I understand that they are new BUT they should not be open and operating if they are not ready yet. We ended uo packing our bags again and not staying there for the rest of the day. We demanded for a refund and the front desk staff did not hesitate to assist us with that request--a plus for them. I think they should not start accepting guests if they are not ready. It's giving them a bad reputation. We checked in back at Marriott instead.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank NinaVET

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank your for sharing your experience at Remington Hotel. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to improve the quality of our product and service.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for your unpleasant expeience during your stay. We are definitely taking your comments into consideration as we try to implement changes on the amenities, facilities and service of the hotel to meet the expectations of our clients.

Rest assured that we are committed to providing you the best value-for-money accommodation you expect from a world-class integrated resort like Resorts World Manila. We hope that this experience will not discourage you from visiting us again. We look forward to welcoming you to a better and improved Remington Hotel in the future. If there is anything I can assist you with, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

Remington has just had its soft opening and still has some work to be done, but for a convenient hotel near the airport that won't cost an arm and a leg, this is probably the best option around. Other hotels near the airport look absolutely horrendous - I've researched them all. Sure, they might be somewhat cheaper, but for a clean room with fresh sheets and a flatscreen TV with good cable, and with plenty of dining options nearby, Remington is the best I've found. (Marriott is certainly much better, but you'll also pay 3x the price).
Remington is definitely not luxurious - you'll get a simple room with very basic furnishings and air conditioning. The bathroom is tiny but efficient. There's a free airport shuttle and the staff were pleasant. Next door is the casino which has at least a dozen restaurants and cafes, making it quite easy to get a decent meal and have a lot of culinary options.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Melanie_In_Chicago
RWManila, Manager at Remington Hotel Manila, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Remington Hotel as your hotel accommodation of choice during your recent stay in Manila, Philippines. I am glad that you have enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel and appreciate the no frills, value for money accommodation we have provided for you and your friends. Rest assured that we are focusing on continuously improving our services to better satisfy our customers. We look forward to welcoming you to a better and improved Remington Hotel in the future.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

We decided to give the Remington a look, for a few hours before heading home.
This hotel makes most travel lodges look good ! Yes it's new, and when arriving at reception it's easy to get a good vibe. But then it goes wrong.
The rooms are tiny, like a shoe box. The bathrooms are small too and the showers very very small. 100pesos per time to use a hair dryer, extra charges to store bags. Overall it's a badly put together, and way overpriced (for what it is) hotel.

Room Tip: They are the same,, really small.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank benbee1
RWManila, Manager at Remington Hotel Manila, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

Greetings from Resorts World Manila!

We appreciate your concern, interest and the time taken to bring these matters to our attention.

It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to improve the quality of our products and services to better meet the needs and exceed expectations of our guests. Please accept our sincere apologies for your unfornate experience during your stay at the Remington Hotel. We fully understand your predicament for we have not delivered what is expected from a property within a world-class integrated resort complex.

Rest assured that we have brought this to the attention of our management team for immediate action. We hope that this experience will not discourage you from visiting us again. We look forward to welcoming you to a better and improved Remington Hotel in the future. If there is anything I can assist you with, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

I have traveled around the world, staying from budget to 5 star hotels, but never been to a hotel like this, that was so disappointing, considering that it is one of the Resort World properties and advertised for being world class. The word "amenities" does not apply here for there is none, not even the usual things that you will find in an Inn, like glasses, pitcher for drinking water..It is almost going on a camping trip where you have to bring everything with you.. The bathroom design is yes, like in the woods where you go camping no shower curtain, so you will have a wet bathroom after you shower..
Responses for calls takes a while.. I have to ask for a toilet paper refill, an extra towel, it took almost an hour for someone to bring it to the room, including problem with the air conditioner.. Thanks God I have read the previous review before checking in so I was able to ask for a room on the other side of the street, but this was after I already made my booking.

Room Tip: Just like the other review, ask for a room away from the main road
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sharja1990

Greetings from Resorts World Manila!

Thank you for bringing to our attention the problems you have encountered during your visit in our hotel last January 2012. It is feedback as yours that enables us to reinforce the quality of our service and we really appreciate your constructive comments. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.
Please note that since February 2012, we have improved our facilities and a lineup of amenities were provided in all the rooms to better suit the needs of our guests. We are also focused on improving the efficiency of our staff to provide our guests a safe, comfortable and convenient stay.

I hope that your experience would not deter you from making another booking with us in the future.

Very truly yours,

Reviewed January 22, 2012

The Swedish furniture manufacturer and retailer Ikea is known for its promotion of minimalism.

Hotel Remington has taken this to a whole new level, albeit in the so-called 'hospitality industry' not furniture and homewares sales.

The Remington's hotel lobby is impressive: quite chic.

Three floors of an astounding 87 (or so) rooms each are open. The remainder should be open in two to three months according to reception, although I suggest that this may be over optimistic.

The lifts worked well although with only about 60 rooms occupied on this Saturday night and other floors not yet ready, some lifts were inoperable.

The deluxe rooms - the smallest - are supposed to be 21 square metres but felt a little bigger.

Mine had two double beds, a poky bathroom with a shower without a curtain or glass shower screen. The bedroom had a couple of bedside lamps, efficient airconditioning that cooled the room to 21 degrees quickly and a long ledge at the windowsill but strangely no chairs for guests to sit on. The ledge had not been cleaned properly with some white dust residue.

There was a bar fridge and reasonable hanging space. Between the beds was a very low table, while the wall had the now familiar type of plasma television that at least had CNN.

Apart from a hard to work dispenser on the wall, the bathroom lacked toiletries. Reception advised at checkin that due to ongoing hotel fitout, there was a problem with hot water but when I showered at 0610 the next morning, the water was reasonable although not quite as hot as many of us like.

There was some noise transmission from the hallway and more from the adjacent Andrews Avenue or other road. This kept me awake from midnight until 0200. Asking for an inner courtyard facing room should solve this.

On the plus side, unlike the French Accor brand's Formule 1 motels, The Remington did not give me the feeling of staying in a largish prison cell.

However, it is odd that The Genting Group (owners) have not invested in double glazing of appropriate rooms given the noisy 80 kilometre an hour traffic in Andrews Avenue on which the hotel is on a corner.

At checkout, my hotel organised 'room check' (a Filipino tradition) took in excess of 10 minutes which is unacceptable.

I booked through www.asiatravel.com which seems one of the only ways to book online. You cannot do online with the hotel direct.

The hotel is located within the excellent Resorts World Manila casino, theater, shopping, restaurant and nightclub complex. I saw 'The Sound of Music' live theatre production for A$29 which was excellent value.

The hotel offers an hourly free shuttle service to Manila Airport's four terminals 'on the hour.' I used a taxi instead that cost P110 to get to Terminal 2 (Philippine Airlines).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inner courtyard to minimise traffic noise.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Victorianlad

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing Remington Hotel as your accommodation choice during your recent stay in Manila, Philippines.

I appreciate your concern, interest and the time to bring these matters to our attention. Your comments have certainly raised many areas of concern that need to be addressed and will inspire us to strive harder for our future guests. I regret that our room facilities and amenities did not meet up to your expectations. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced during your recent stay with us. Your suggestions on the improvement of our offered facilities and amenities have been carefully noted by the management and will be taken into account.
I would also like to inform you that we would soon have a booking engine at our website, including tie ups with several online travel agencies so that guests can already have instant confirmation of their booking online.

We hope that you will give us another chance to welcome you when you visit us again. If I can ever be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. Thank you!

Regards,

Reviewed January 19, 2012

The previous reviewers have already covered most of this brand new hotel's shortcomings so I'll just provide an update.
We stayed at the Remington 2 nights, the first at the beginning of our holiday (early January 2012) and the second at the end (3rd week of January). We just needed a room near the airport as we had to catch some early flights from Manila and this seemed like a good affordable choice given the high rates of the nearby Marriott.
The hotel offers two types of rooms: Standard and Serviced Apartment (about PHP 1000 more expensive than the Standard). The difference between the two (size is identical) is that in the Serviced Apartment one of the two queen beds is replaced by a sofa bed and a small kitchen area with a sink, a kettle (no coffee or tea provided) and a fridge (empty).
Positives:
1) Free airport shuttle
2) Very near Terminal 3
3) Brand new - see also Negatives (not really sure this is a positive...)
4) Brand new linen and towels
5) Free wi-fi
Negatives:
1) Difficulty booking, especially if from abroad. We had to do it by email and beg that they keep our booking even though they required immediate upfront payment in cash of via bank transfer (no credit card option offered for booking but credit card is accepted at the hotel)
2) No breakfast or other food facilities within the hotel. Thankfully, there is a mall just across from the hotel so we could eat there. Please beware that if you have an early flight only one small cafeteria is open early in the morning. Everything else opens around noon.
3) Really shoddy workmanship. For a new hotel, I was expecting a lot better than broken sills and mould in the shower, a chipped headboard and a bad partition in the shower that makes the water spill out over the rest of the small bathroom.
4) No hot water, just lukewarm. Manila is hot but I would still like to gauge my own water temperature!
5) Worst of all for us was the air-conditioning. Set at freezing cold, you are given a remote control that hardly works. As a consequence, we couldn't turn it off and everything in the room felt damp. I called reception 3 (three) times and all three times they said they would send an engineer who never turned up. Unbelievable, especially given that the hotel looks overstaffed with lots of people noisily pacing up and down the corridors all day and night! I had to sleep with a scarf wrapped over my head.
6) For Philippine standards, the people at reception were quite snotty and not particularly friendly or interested in the satisfaction of their clients. It's a shame because everywhere else we went in the Philippines the staff was extremely friendly and helpful.
7) Besides the TV set and the fridge/kettle, there are no amenities in the room. No bars of soap or bottles of water so make sure you come supplied.
8) Hotel is still under construction so on our second night we had a workman banging just outside our window.
All in all, if you want to stay near the airport and can afford the Marriott, book there and avoid the Remington. On the other hand, if your budget is limited and you are happy putting up with bare cold rooms, lukewarm water and no food in the morning, the Remington could still be considered.

Room Tip: Overall, we preferred the Serviced Apartment
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank La_Gida
RWManila, Manager at Remington Hotel Manila, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a message on TripAdvisor following your stay at Remington Hotel last January 2012.

We are pleased that you found our proximity to the airport, our free shuttles and Wi-Fi connection, so as our new linens and towels beneficial during your stay.

The reservation experience however that you describe in your letter causes us deep concern in providing reliable services to our guests. We would like to offer our sincere apologies for any frustration and anxiety that it may have caused you on your booking process. Rest assured that we are already looking into various measures to make the procedure stress-free.

We acknowledge also the lack of dining facilities during the wee hours which may have caused you inconvenience during your stay. We are soon to launch several dining options this year which will be providing round the clock services for our guests.

Your comments and suggestions regarding several room fixtures have been well noted and will be taken into consideration for future room renovation.

I was extremely sorry to read about the general attitude of our staff during your stay. This does not in any way reflect the usual service level of Remington Hotel. We guarantee that training in regards to guest relations and quality service will be carried out to avoid such incidents in the future.

Thank you once again for your constructive comments. I do appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention and therefore giving us an opportunity to improve. We hope you will give us another chance to welcome you, when you next visit the Philippines. If I can ever be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Carlo Cruz, Sales Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pasay
Belmont Hotel Manila
The Mabuhay Manor
The Mabuhay Manor
#7 of 31 in Pasay
Manila Marriott Hotel
The Heritage Hotel Manila
Maxims Hotel - Resorts World Manila
Go Hotels Manila Airport Road

Been to Remington Hotel Manila? Share your experiences!