“Selection was somewhat limited!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunset Bar

Sunset Bar
Ranked #7 of 450 Restaurants in Pasay
Cuisines: French, Filipino, Bar, Seafood, International, Barbecue, Asian, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Sunset Bar is the quintessential outdoor dining venue, featuring grilled barbecue buffets on Friday and Saturday nights, and daily a la carte menu offering local Philippine favorites. The magnificent Manila Bay sunset may be enjoyed from this vantage point, while sitting next to the turquoise waters of Sofitel's famous lagoon-shaped pool and manicured, tropical gardens. Local cultural shows and live bands perform at Sunset Bar regularly. Sunset Bar is open 9am to 11pm daily.
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,216 helpful votes
“Selection was somewhat limited!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

I purchased vouchers from cash cash pinoy so got the buffet at a 50% discount. As an accor member could also have used my advantage plus dining card for the 50% discount.

I dined here with my family and a friend. The setting was pleasant and located outside the hotel beside the nice pool area of the Sofitel and on the Manila Bay. The buffet is only available on weekends. The food was a BBQ Buffet which included mains of BBQ Seafood and Meat, Salads, Dessert and free flowing beer and softdrink. I thought the selection was a bit limited and you do pay roughly about the same price and the infamous Spirals Buffet where the choices are unbelievable. The best part of the buffet was the lechon. The desserts included self serve halo halo as well as other Filipino and International choices.This buffet has the advantage of free flowing drinks, a cultural show and a band. I easy prefer Spirals though.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tommomelbourne

• Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 4,087 helpful votes
“Pleasant ambience and food, helped by no mosquitoes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

In tropical countries, particularly when I forget the Aerogard, I usually have some trepdation regarding eating outdoors, worried about how prevalent mosquitoes will be.

I arrived at the Sofitel's pool area at about 1830 and after being informed that the charge per person was about P2074 for the evening buffet, I met my friends and obtained a San Miguel Pale pilsen from the waiter.

The range of food was reasonable, although far from what is on offer for the Sofitel's temporarily relocated due to flood damage buffet breakfats, lunches and dinners.

I enjoyed some prawns, salads and most memorably delicious lechon (roast pork) carved off the spit. The crackling (as we call it in Australia - pig skin) was not quite as melt in the mouth as the pork, but it was acceptable even if substantially different from Australian crackling.

I mixed a halo halo for dessert. I don't think a new career as a Filipino dessert chef is imminent, but the rather unusual result was still reasonable.

At times the waiters were a little slow to attend our table. There were in excess of 70 diners, with a four peice group (two male and two attractive girls) singing the songs I like: so-called easy listenening Western songs from the late '70s and 80s.

Because I thought the whole setting was just a little too open - I tend to like a bit more atmosphere from diners being closer to one another - I can only give a three, which is also a markdown because the range of food could be improved a bit.

Despite being on the shoreline of Manila Bay, there was little wind. I could watch planes arriving in rapid succession at Ninoy Aquino International Airport while our party also observed Prestige Cruises' evening buffet cruise sail by. There was no evident smell from Manila Bay.

Unsurprisingly, most diners had departed or seemed about to by 2200. This is not unusual in tropical nations where the sun rises at a reliable 0530 to 0630 daily.

• Visited January 2012