“needs improvement”

Ranked #23 of 31 Hotels in Pasay
makati
“needs improvement”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I couldn't forget the experience that I had with Shogun hotel. I was the one who booked the stay of my aunt and her family from the province. Since it's only a budget hotel, i didn't expected much. The room is too small, (quite dark) lighting fixture is not enough to lit the entire room, no ventilation and it smells terrible. One thing that disgust me was when i wanted to have our breakfast packed since my aunt and her family were leaving for the airport early to catch their 6am flight to the US. I called the receptionist and told her that we can't eat our breakfast, i asked her to have it packed instead. I even offer to pay for the styrofoam. To my dismay, she said it's not allowed. You're kidding me? The breakfast is included in our room and we paid for it yet we can't bring it. So disappointing!

The services and the hotel as a whole needs improvement. I will never recommend the hotel to my relatives and friends. Definitely my 1st and last stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank irene l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at Shogun for three nights before returning back to Los Angeles. They were fairly inexpensive for Manila, 1700 pesos per night for standard rooms with buffet breakfast for two included (I paid 1900 pesos for a room with a refrigerator).

I needed a room near my cousin, and the only one near them smelled like a smoker had been smoking in it all day long. When I inquired with the front desk, they told me the rooms were non smoking. I then asked them why there was an ashtray on the table--they said its for the table. That made no sense whatsoever, plus the fact there was a man smoking in the hallway while waiting for an elevator--making the hallways reak further.

Everytime I would leave the hotel, they would ask me for my key. They said it was to "make up" my room. I didn't want anyone in my room, nor did I want anyone to touch anything in my room--yet the same people would ask EVERY time I tried to leave (sometimes 4-5 times a day, seriously? Why do you keep asking).

We had room service the first night, it was very greasy, and I ended up puking it up later. The buffet breakfast was terrible--by the 3rd day the only thing I was eating from there were the over easy eggs and rice and the freshed cut pineapple. Their corned beef was probably the cheap stuff (very floury), any sausages they served tasted floury and pasty (and I'm not a picky breakfast person, I love filipino breakfasts!). They did have boneless bangus one morning, and that was delicious. If they spent a little more money in their "complimentary breakfast buffet" it would have more appeal, but I would of been happier going out to Jollibee or Chowking and getting their breakfast meals.

Shogun is very close to the train station, in fact, it is right next door. This is great if you want to travel throughout Manila, heading to Cubao, etc. That being said, it is also very crowded in the area with Jeepneys and tricycles downstairs, and Shogun is in between almost-one way streets on both sides. We had to take a 15 minute detour by taxi every time we would try to get back to the hotel, because of the way the streets work.

Service is terrible. I would ask for toilet paper from the front desk, and it would never arrive. Then I would call, and it would still not arrive. My cousin would call for me, and it would finally showed up. Just a fluke? I scheduled an 8am laundry pick up, no one ever came. Finally at 10am I called and they said they would send someone, and no one ever came. Cousin, yet again, had to call, and someone finally showed up. It was similar service trying to get my laundry back, get more toilet paper, and then it would take 20 minutes to get a luggage cart for checkout (I would have been better off going downstairs and getting a cart myself).

They do have a small pool on the 8th floor, which has a gorgeous view of the city (particularly at night). They will NOT let you take your room towels to the pool and they will charge you 40 pesos per pool towel (seriously?).

Overall, it was a cheap hotel. I'd rather pay a few more bucks and try other hotels in the area that may have better service, don't charge you to use their pool (in towel rentals), better rooms (that don't smell like smoke) and better food.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank PhishPhood

Travelers are raving about these Pasay hotels

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2013

this was the best hotel i have ever stayed in in manila , the pool was on the 8 th floor so youi could swim all night and the price was so cheap and included a buffet breakfast of all you can eat , loved it and the staff were all very friendly

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quiter
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank damian a
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My Wife and I were only scheduled to stay here for one night, but we ended up staying a full week after we accidentally left our passports in the taxi that took us to the airport. We were distraught, and the airport security as well as the local police really didn't seem too concerned about our plight, which only made matters worse. With no phones, and no internet access, we decided to return to the hotel.

When we got to the hotel and explained our situation we were instantly taken care of as if we were frequent guests.

The Hotel security takes down the license plate and company name of every taxi that picks up one of their guests, and they also have a CCTV security system. Thanks to these security precautions, we were able to identify the taxi that had our passports.

The level of kindness and personal care that was then shown to us warmed our hearts. The Hotel Facilities Chief personally escorted us to the local police station, and helped us file a police report. He also made sure that we had copies of the police report so that we could take them to our embassy. Once we got back to the hotel, he noticed that there was a mistake in the police report. He turned around and went back to the police station by himself and had them correct it.
After this, the Marketing Director got us in touch with our embassy, and printed off all the forms we needed, free of charge, so that we could have them for our embassy first thing the next morning.

The personal help these individuals gave us was even more remarkable considering this all happened during a very busy weekend for the hotel, as they were also hosting a wedding and a conference at the same time as this was happening. We would have understood if they were too busy to help us, but they made us feel like we were their first priority.

We are extremely grateful that the hotel staff took such great care of us. We had already checked out, and the theft occurred at the airport, so they didn't have to do anything for us, yet they chose to help us, and we are grateful.

This is a budget hotel, and the rooms and food reflect this. (not outstanding, but certainly acceptable.) This budget hotel, however, does not have budget staff. Their staff are 5-star, and it is for this reason that the Shogun hotel is the only hotel we will consider for future stays in Manila.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jonathan S
Ozamiz City, Philippines
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on a lay-over on our way back home to Ozamiz. It is what's to be expected in a budget hotel. The staff were extra helpful. The rooms however were a bit small. Location was both good and bad. Good in the sense that it's about 10-15 minutes from the airport and bad in the sense that it's a bit dangerous to roam in the area at night.

Room Tip: get a room with windows facing the street
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michael_Asombrado
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel facilities and room were well maintained and clean. Everything was okay, until when I was checking out to get to the airport.

On my arrival, I have requested for the shuttle service for 250peso as I was arriving late 10pm. The driver asked me to pay him so I did. But then my hotel bill clearly stated the shuttle service not paid. When I questioned the receptionist, she was very kind and helpful trying to explain the issue to me. Since I couldn't remember the look or the name of the driver, I agreed to pay. She then suggested if I book my room through the hotel website, the hotel provides free shuttle service to hotel guests.

I am grateful to her suggestion. I definitely will stay in this hotel again next time I am in Clark.

Room Tip: Remember to book your room through the hotel website if you need free shuttle service.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank bambooKK
Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

i spend there 3 nights with my partner ...
room--- good size with comfy bed and great bathroom only shame lack of windows ...
restaurant---we had only breakfast but beef tapa was great...
pool great thing but water need to be change more often...
staff --- friendly no problem with it

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple