“"Very nice Hotel but, needs some upgrades"”

Midas Hotel and Casino
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Pasay
Angeles City, Philippines
“"Very nice Hotel but, needs some upgrades"”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at Midas and the overall stay was pleasant. We were greeted upon arrival and checkin was a breeze. One surprise I didn't expect was a 6000php deposit for incedentials. This was not a problem, as I used my debit card for the deposit with no charge to the card. The staff was outstanding and my room was upgraded from a Jr Suite to a Jr Grande because, we checked in early and no Jr Suites were available. We had an end room on the sixth floor away from Roxas Blvd. The noise was minimal except for the jam session each night in the tent at the back of the hotel. Luckily they only played until 10pm and then silence:)There were two balconies with a good view of the bay and the city skyline. The room was well appointed but, the carpet was old and I stepped on a tack board several times. The bathroom fixtures need to be upgraded and the water pressure/hot water was intermittent. Room service was outstanding and quick. I ordered ice which was delivered within 5 to 10 minutes. I also requested an ironing board and iron and it was delivered immediately. The hotel is in a good location with quick access to the Mall of Asia. The casino was a good size and had a good selection of games. The breakfast buffett was OK but, I wouldn't pay extra if not included in the room price. The food selection was not that great and any food outside of heated servering trays was cold. They do not use heating lamps to keep the precooked pancakes, waffels and french toast warm. The checkout was as quick as the checkin. They asked if I used the minibar and I told them what I had used. They took my word for it and did not have someone check. Overall we were pleased with our stay and will stay again on our next trip to Manila.

Room Tip: Stay away from Roxas Blvd and get a room on the 6th floor and up if possible. Based on my stay I wou...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tworsha
Midas H, Public Relations Manager at Midas Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
To Our Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Midas Hotel and Casino on your recent visit in Manila. We are grateful as well for your kind words and appreciation of our hotel. We have passed it on to our team and this will surely motivate them to further work beyond guests' expectations. Also, we've taken note of your comments on the areas that we need to look into and develop.

Thank you again and looking forward to welcome you back at Midas!

ERWIN FIDEL M. DOÑA III

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Washington DC
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Stayed here overnight before flying to Palawan and was satisfied with our stay. The door staff were fine, the front desk staff were very good, both checking-in and out. The hotel lobby was attractive and clean. Our room was a decent size, clean and comfortable (if for some carpet and wall stains). I liked the Bulgari toiletries. Breakfast was also good.

My main problem and complaint about this hotel came from the room service staff who delivered our food. This is the very first time a room service staff asked for an additional tip!!! Ever! I've stayed in many hotels and this has never happened before. Since we only stayed overnight, we only had one chance of ordering room service, so, I don't know if this is a practice from the rest of the staff. Management need to address this. When the staff delivered the food, he was pleasant, but he went on saying he just need a signature and a tip! I looked at the receipt and pointed out the service charge is included already (I usually add more but his demand was just jarring) he said he doesn't know about that but that wasn't the tip!

We took a non-metered taxi from NAIA-1 to the hotel and it cost P440 (arrived at night and just wanted to be safe), took a metered taxi from the hotel to NAIA-4 and it was almost P100. The hotel is next to the Japanese Embassy and there are some small stores and groceries a short walk away.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Midas H, Public Relations Manager at Midas Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
To Our Valued Guest,

We are grateful for having you at Midas Hotel and Casino! We would like to thank you as well for sharing your feedback with us. We are glad you appreciate our interiors at the lobby that we truly take pride on. Our forward-looking rooms and suites are carefully appointed and chic so our guests would have the feel of modern glam. On the other hand, we would like to apologize on the incident that happened with our room service associate. We already informed our Officer-in-Charge for F&B regarding your concern. We shall investigate on this matter and ensure to take appropriate measures in order to avoid future occurrences.

Again, we thank you for choosing Midas Hotel and Casino and we look forward to be of service to you again in the future.

Associate Director for PR & Brand
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 4,179 helpful votes
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I asked for a north facing room but at reception, Donne (male) initially gave me a south facing room that in restrospect may have had less traffic noise.

The facing fifth floor room that I was quickly then allocated suffered from a bit of traffic noise but this could be eliminated by running the efficient airconditioner in low.

The room had a good quality queen bed, bedside tables, a reasonable desk and a roomy wardrobe with a large modern flat screen television that had an excellent channel range although Australia TV was not included.

There were small amounts if complimentary tea and coffee along with a good bar fridge and an armchair. Lighting was satisfactory. The room had a balcony.

The bathroom had a shower over bath but unlike an hotel in which I recently stayed in Darwin, Australia, the Midas bath was low and properly protected with strips to minimise slipping. On one morning when the hotel was at 100 per cent occupancy, the hot water flow reduced appreciably but on the three other mornings it was fine.

The hotel did not skimp on Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries and even supplied unbranded vanity and sewing kits.

The included breakfast at the second floor Cafe Midas was very good with yoghurt, good quality papaya and watermelon and freshly cooked pancakes with delicious jam, kiwi fruit, peaches and nuts if one wished cooked by Chef Rachel as the staff called her.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Victorianlad
Midas H, Public Relations Manager at Midas Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
To Our Valued Guest,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for staying at Midas Hotel and Casino during your recent visit in Manila. We are gad to know that you enjoy your stay with us. Your good words have been passed on to our team and this will motivate them to even exceed our guests' expectations and continue to strive for service excellence.

It is our pleasure to be of service to you and we are looking forward to your next visit at Midas.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I wish there were a 3.5 star option, because that's what I would've given the Midas. 3 feels too harsh, and 4 too generous. Upon entering and being greeted by no less than 10 employees, you are impressed by the lobby's decor. It's very upscale and welcoming. The rooms are nice, the shower, once you figure it out, had strong water pressure and was clean. The balcony was nice, sure it overlooks a smoggy city, but at night it's a very nice view. My biggest complaint was the food. The breakfast buffet was very below average and bland. There were nearly no options except fruit for a vegetarian. And the employees there were a bit snooty. We arrived only a couple minutes after the buffet officially ended and they simply would not serve us, even though there were plenty of people still at the buffet. I don't mind rules, I understand that they have to start clearing for the next meal, but when you're jetlagged from a long flight, and polite, you would think they could bend the rules just a bit. No such luck. In fact, they made us feel a bit like criminals for having the nerve to arrive a few minutes late. What happened to the notion of "Filipino time"??

Overall the staff of the hotel is very friendly and helpful, maybe too much so. I know that sounds crazy, but sometimes you just want to run in and out of your hotel without passing through a long procession of employees saying "Hello Sir". It's very nice, and it's very Filipino to do this, but for some reason it seemed over the top at the Midas. They could lose 5 of those door people and be fine. Frankly, sometimes you just want to be in your own world and not have to have human interaction, or feel like you're walking the red carpet at the Golden Globes when you really just want to run down to the convenience store in your sweats with messy hair and not be seen, but again, this is the Philippines, where friendliness is King, so it's probably bad of me to complain about this.

The location is great for many things, the lobby is a nice meet and greet hang out while enjoying music or people watching, and the casino is adjacent if you're into that sort of thing.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Midas H, Public Relations Manager at Midas Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
To Our Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Midas Hotel and Casino on your recent stay in Manila. We are grateful as well that you appreciate our lobby's interior that we truly take pride on. Also, we took note of your areas of concern and we have already alerted our departments so we can take appropriate measures to prevent future occurrences.

Once again, thank you for staying with us . And we look forward to welcome and serve you again at Midas!

SaarLouis, Germany
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I choosed this hotel because of its short distance to the airport for just one night. for that the location is ok because it is also not that far from the Mall of Asia.
But my impression of the rooms has not been the best. The furnitures in the room has been dirty with dirty smudges and everything seems old.
Some people would maybe also check in because of the casino, I was not there Im not a gambler.
For one night it was ok but I would not check in again because for that what you got it could be a little bit cheaper.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Midas H, Public Relations Manager at Midas Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
To Our Valued Guest,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for choosing Midas Hotel and Casino on your recent stay in Manila. We are grateful as well that you share with us your comments and feedback. We have duly noted on your concerns regarding our room. And we have alerted the concerned department in order to make appropriate measures for improvement.

We hope that you can give us the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

My credit card company had a 40% promo for this hotel. When we checked in were upgraded to a Suite room. The staff were all friendly and accommodating.

The room was adequately spaced and there's a great view of Roxas Blvd.

The only improvement would be the breakfast buffet. Some of the food are a bit cold already. They are also a bit undermanned (maybe because it was Christmas). It took quite some time before they cleared our table.

Overall, we had a great stay. Hope that next time they can also build a pool to complete the stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Midas H, Public Relations Manager at Midas Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
To Our Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Midas Hotel and Casino on your recent stay in Manila! And we are grateful to learn more about your comments and feedback. We are glad to know as well that you were satisfied with the services rendered by our associates. Your kind words have been passed on to our team and this will motivate them to continue to strive for service excellence. We have also noted on your comments about our breakfast buffet, rest assured that we will take appropriate actions for enhancement.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcome and serve you again at Midas Hotel and Casino!

San Diego, California
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

I'm at Midas now and am very disappointed in the slide in quality. The food in the included breakfast is horrible. Ice cold hash brown triangles, dried out pancit, poor quality all around and the room itself looped the same 4 songs over and over the whole time. Seriously? Same thing with room service yesterday. The desert cupcake was so state it must have been sitting on a shelf for days or even weeks...inedible.

It screams out "cheap/Chinese corner-cutting owners." Same with the rooms. The decor, fit and finish of the small details convey an attitude of "good enough". Sorry, I'm not a fake customer posting pumped-up review for hire by the hotel like most before me. This real traveler was real disappointed at how far standards have slipped since launch when I last stayed. With the rise of other casino hotels in the area that understand it is the small things that keep or lose customers, this place is doomed without a drastic investment and retraining effort.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Midas H, Public Relations Manager at Midas Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
To Our Valued Guest,

Firstly, we would like to acknowledge your feedback on your recent stay with us. It is through your comments that we are able to know on what areas that we need to improve and we thank you for sharing it with us.

We regret to know that there are expectations that we were not able to meet. And we apologize for the inconvenience it has caused you. We have alerted all departments regarding your comments and feedback, rest assured that appropriate measures will be taken.

We sincerely hope that you can give us the opportunity to recuperate the impression you have of our products and services and be able to serve you better in the future.

Associate Director for PR and Brand

Travelers are raving about these Pasay hotels