Midas Hotel and Casino
Hotel Sogo(Pasay)
  • Room Service
  • Free Internet
  • Room Service
All reviewsexecutive roomsunset loungejapanese embassybuffet breakfastking bedroxas boulevardsm mall of asiarooms are nicebiggest malllate checkan upgradeheavy trafficconvenience storeclose to the airportan overnight stayshuttle servicemanila bay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 19, 2012

i travelled with my family, Filipino roots but born and raised in Costa Rica

I will start of with reservations, booked for a 4N and 5D stay in this hotel, i gave my credit card details to guarantee my reservation and requested for a confirmation letter or any sign of acknowledgment which i didn’t received. I had to call the hotel couple of time just to confirm my reservation and if they received my credit card details. Reservations/Sales thank you for being so efficient.

During check-in, thing were going well, until the front office associate gave me a copy of the house rules and run thru it right in front of my face. 1. dress code, 2. no food and drinks allowed, 3. no food delivery from fast foods, etc etc etc. Nice first impression!! My family and i felt like we are checking-in in a prison. Heads up, We are well travelled person, We are junkies of Aman Resorts to Banyan Tree and this is what we get for greetings.

Room was okay, i understand that it is a smoking room but the girl from the front desk mentioned that i can however smoke outside the veranda. So i requested for an ashtray, surprisingly when i was requesting for it they said they can’t give me one because it is a non- smoking room. Yes, i understand, but i can smoke outside the veranda right? he said yes, but they can’t give me an ashtray because it’s a non-smoking room. This is so stupid! Maybe they want me to throw the butt right next to the Japanese embassy!
As mentioned earlier we are triple sharing, however they set-up an amenity for just two persons, i had to call them again and request for an additional amenity and even mentioned that if i requested for an additional bottled water agian i would get charged for it. Are you all freaking kidding me!
First night around 11:30-12:00 am, I received a phone call from probably concierge or front office informing me that my friends are already leaving! i was like what?! i was like, are you sure you got the right number?, this guy was like "yes". I got pissed off and said you got the wrong number, don’t you see that people here are sleeping already. Given the fact that we just had a 15hrs flight going to the Philippines

I can go on and all with this, basically! I will not go back to this hotel and will not recommend it to all of my friends. This hotel is stupid!

Room Tip: Do not, i repeat, do not stay in this hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank allen i
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Just checked out from a 2-night staycation in this hotel (as I live minutes nearby from the hotel).

The most important factor for choosing this hotel is location. It is very near SM Mall of Asia, the largest commercial in the Philippine and arguably one of the largest in the region. The hotel also provides scheduled shuttle for the mall. other places like airport, restaurants, churches, etc. are a short cab ride away which should be around PHP100 more or less (or around USD2-3).

The hotel lobby is very inviting and comfortable, furnished with designer items. No restroom at the lobby area though. The staff were mostly smiling and accommodating to help.

The rooms were nice and comfortable. It is a bit pricey for local standards, but should be okay for international standards. Room furnishings were also nice, with a touch of local culture (i.e. some native items). Currently bathroom toiletries for deluxe room were O Spa items and complete. The room given was spacious although the space (and lack of furniture to fill it) made me feel it was a bit dull. There was also balcony en suite.

In house restaurant like Midas Café were nice and a bit upscale (to some extent). Buffet in Yanagi was ample for the price (PHP699) but it could be desired that they serve more selections. A lot of variety though in their spread for breakfast.

The only turn-off is the parking area, which is in open-street just across the hotel and get's full specially at night (perhaps to restaurant diners or casino players). Last night I had to wait for around 20 minutes to free up. There is free valet parking where they park your car behind the hotel but I need access to the car for some stuff from time to time so I prefer to have it accessible.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a good view, please ask. Refrain from the room facing the back area as it may be chaotic.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank jasperjugan
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hotel is a great option for a short stopover in Manila. It is within a 200 PHP taxi fare to either the Mall of Asia or any of the airport terminals. There is a definite sense of security at the hotel with guards, card activated elevators and cameras everywhere. Eating & drinking inside the hotel is pricey by Philippine standards, but the food is quality. The free breakfast provided was very good with heaps of variety. My only negative comment would be that the free in-room WIFI was pathetically slow when it did work.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank WyleeHunter
Reviewed September 6, 2012

As we were going to see The Phantom of the Opera at the CCP just up the road we decided to do an overnight at the Midas Hotel. I had stayed at this hotel when it was the Hyatt Regency and have very pleasant memories of the hotel. I had requested a north-facing room but on checking- in we were put in a south facing room (the view is not so nice). The room we were given was smallish but quite pleasant with a reasonable bathroom. When I asked for a north-facing room we were shown a larger room but it was very damp and had a funny smell so we decided to stay with the first room we were given. The air-con in the room seemed to be either on full-blast (very cold) or off- nothing in between! The furniture in the room was okay but not as nice as expected given the renovations in the lobby. The corridors are quite pleasant with interesting murals etc.

The lobby of the hotel is quite impressive, very contemporary and chic and they have done a good job of taking the hotel into the 21st century. The front desk employees were pleasant and helpful (as they should be!). We were disappointed that there was no swimming pool as the Hyatt used to have a really nice pool at the back of the hotel- it seems they are in the process of building one somewhere. Much of the hotel seems to have been taken over by the casino which we are not at all interested in. I think it has lost a lot of its character as a result. We tried to get to the Fitness Center and had to go up to the Penthouse which is part of the Casino, then walk up a flight of stairs to the Fitness Center which was pretty horrible. Very small, poorly equipped, the air-con was broken and there was absolutely no staff members around- so we left!

The buffet breakfast on Sunday morning was served at the Midas Cafe and it was just okay. The decor of the cafe is not wonderful- it has very low ceilings (in fact the whole hotel seems to have very low ceilings) and is a bit claustrophobic. There was not a great selection of food and the quality was not outstanding, but it was edible. There seemed to be quite a few staff around but not doing very much. Compared to the Marriot breakfast which is absolutely wonderful, this one left us very disappointed.

We checked out of the hotel early as there was absolutely nothing to do. The area around the hotel has nothing to see or do apart from getting the shuttle to the Mall of Asia. Don't go to this hotel if you are used to being 'pampered' as there is no-one to pamper you and very little in the way of activities to keep you occupied. The highlight of the weekend (apart from Phantom!) was the band that plays in the hotel lobby in the evenings- they were absolutely outstanding and obviously draw the crowds. It is worth a visit just to hear them!

So, all in all, not a great stay at the Midas. For just a little bit more we would rather stay at the Sofitel or the Peninsula where you do feel a bit pampered and spoiled!

Room Tip: The bigger rooms are on the north side of the hotel and have slightly better views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jamesinmanila
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Greatest advantage of the hotel is its location. It is near the airport, about 15 mins travel time only, not considering the heavy traffic along Roxas boulevard. It is also near Mall of Asia, which is considered a destination mall among tourists and transients. The staff are friendly and accommodating, and services are swift. The only downside to this hotel is that the room is not so big and the bed is small :( anyways, if it's location that you're after to, I would suggest this place. :)

• Stayed: September 2012