“Good hotel but truly excellent service”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manila/At Mall of Asia
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Pasay
Dublin, Ireland
“Good hotel but truly excellent service”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My family and I spent one night in Microtel on the 13th of January, 2013. That is my wife and I, my son Aleksander, 8, and my daughter, Maya, 5 months. We checked in early due to our early flight from Legaspi. This was no problem whatsoever. The room was spacious and the hotel clean. While the design is functional and not flashy, this was welcome after some disastrous hotel stays in Manila over the years. It was spotless, everything worked and the beds were comfy. Breakfast and facilities were good when the reasonable price is considered. Even the taxi van to the airport the next day was not a rip off.

However, I would particularly like to bring the attention to the staff on the morning we were due to leave. My infant daughter had become quite ill with a chest infection over the night. When I asked for a nearby doctor the reception staff were concerned and advised us that they would get an ambulance to my daughter. While we thought this was perhaps a bit serious for a chest infection, we did agree. Carlos, the manager, told us not to worry about our bags or the room and was genuinely concerned. The Hotel even paid for the ambulance! My daughter's infection turned out not to be too bad, she received an xray and we got the medicines prescribed. When we returned, all the staff, even the doormen was asking after my daughter, Maya. My wife and I were genuinely touched by this level of genuine service, which is hard to find in any hotel.

In summary, a reasonably priced hotel, right beside MOA, with clean, spacious rooms, a rooftop pool and a decent breakfast. However, I would go back any time we are in Manila just because of the extraordinary level of service. Salamat Carlos and all the staff!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
MicrotelMallofAsia, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manila/At Mall of Asia, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment in TripAdvisor with regards to you and your family's recent stay with us in Microtel Mall of Asia. It is nice to know that you appreciated what Microtel is all about. We put premium in providing clean, simple, NO FRILLS, safe and secured accommodations in all our location. We are glad that we were able to provide assistance to you daughter. What we may lack in other amenities, we try hard to reciprocate through more personalize service. We do hope to welcome you back in Manila!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 23, 2013

For a Pinoy, the breakfast was quite good, just the way I am used to. But foreign guests may look for other varieties. But the way I see it, when you are in a foreign land, then it is best to sample the delicacies of that country you are travelling to. Anyway, if one is still peckish and is hankering for a burger, there is the mall of asia nearby that offers a variety of food that could satisfy any palate. The beds are comfortable and the room is spacious. Eventhough I didn't get the room with a seaview, my supposedly "room with a city view" had a very good view of the bay. And I love the picture window. Didn't mind paying for the Wifi but it didn't work so had to return the card and they gave me the full refund. The staff at the restaurant as well as the people manning the doors were quite attentive. Some people complained about the noise in the pool that can be heard by guests staying on the 12th floor. Guess we were lucky as we didn't hear any. Or maybe we were so knackered that people could be headbanging upstairs and we just slept right through it. Overall, I'd consider staying there again next time I'm in Manila.

Room Tip: i'd still opt for rooms above 7th level. less noise and better view
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment in TripAdvisor with regards to your recent stay with us in Microtel Mall of Asia. It is nice to know that you appreciated the comforts of our rooms and the warmth of our staff. Microtel strives hard to put premium in providing guests with comfortable, clean and safe accommodations. We look forward to welcoming you back in Manila!
Iloilo City
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The staff was fairly friendly, it took quite a while for my son and I to finally get to our room, and the front desk person wasn't really that friendly.
The room was very basic, but clean... nothing spectacular.
The food was very basic, nothing spectacular.

The pool was a micro pool.

The only thing this hotel has going for itself is the location. The roof top provides an excellent view of the MOA fireworks and if you're going to an event at MOA arena, staying here overnight beats going home in the traffic.

If you intend to shop until you drop at MOA... more convenient to drop in this hotel.

Given a choice... I probably wouldn't prefer to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MicrotelMallofAsia, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manila/At Mall of Asia, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment in TripAdvisor with regards to your stay with us last year. It is nice to know that you appreciated the cleanliness of your room. Microtel puts premium in providing clean, comfortable and convenient accommodations to all our guest. We like it clean and simple. No Frills. Your comments are valuable and we will use it to improve on our service. We do hope you to welcome you back in Microtel.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is an overdue review...Anyway, we stayed here during the Christmas break, a perfect time to explore Manila.
From the name itself, Microtel, I never really expected anything grand, their name was a giveaway. But I thought since it was by Wyndham, it should be good... No frills…Anyway, the family just chose this for the reason that it was very near Mall of Asia which they hailed as the biggest mall in Manila... (very true!) Here are some of my observations:
* Rooms are clean.
* Pool is too small. Kids barely got to do laps.
* I have been to a lot of 5 star hotels, and this is the very first time I was actually asked of how we were doing by the Manager, (Mr. Aze), who surprisingly knew me by my name. At the back of my mind, I never had any real conversation with any hotel employees in other hotels, unless, I was out there to complain. So this for me was a big plus in customer service.
* Breakfast buffet did not serve much options but most of them were delicious, especially the fish fillet. It's a good thing the servers on the floor were fast in refilling my coffee :)
* The small outlet restaurant downstairs served simple but delectable food. Loved their fresh mango shake.
* Rooms are not sound-proof, so we literally heard the couple next door.
* Free shuttle to and from Mall of Asia. (schedule of which are posted in the lobby)
* Location is near the airport
* Location is near a lot of restaurants along the bay.
* Free view of the fireworks at night. (a big plus)
* WIFI is slow, so not recommending to those who are travelling for business

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MicrotelMallofAsia, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manila/At Mall of Asia, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment in TripAdvisor with regards to you and your family's stay with us during your Christmas break. It is heartwarming to know that we were able to meet your expectations. Your appreciation of the service of our colleague, Ace Intante will be relayed to him accordingly. Microtel puts premium in providing our guests with clean, comfortable, convenient location and secured accommodations to all our guests. We are happy to know that you appreciated what we are trying to do. We will also use your comments to improve on our service. We look forward to welcoming you back in Manila!
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is the second stay we had as the last leg of our trip.
Location: Excellent
Rooms: Clean and the size is perfect (just ask for the 2 beds room if you are taller than 1.75 mtr and bigger. The 12th floor is the ideal floor to stay.
Swimming pool: Very small (not for swimming), they should put a a power jet in it and convert it as Jacuzzi (that could be cozy).
Distance to the airport: Excellent
Distance to MOA (biggest shopping mall in Asia).
Service: Good, once we encountered a rather dull receptionist who expressed an unwelcome look when we said that we booked via Internet.
Transportation: If you are going to any place during the day, take a cab.

Room Tip: Ask for the 2 beds room if you are taller than 1.75 mtr and bigger. The 12th floor is the ideal floo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment in TripAdvisor with regards to your recent stay with us in Microtel Mall of Asia. It is nice to know that you appreciated the cleanliness of our rooms and the convenience of our location. Microtel strives hard to put premium in providing our guests with clean and comfortable accommodations. We are delighted that we were part of your last two enjoyable days before going back home to Oslo. We look forward to welcoming you back in Manila!
Flisa, Norway
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed at the place for a night on Jan. 9. The location is excellent as it is near MOA and they have shuttle service every hour. But the room was small, we booked here because my kids loves to swim and they have pool at the rooftop, but to our dismay the pool was too small and not clean, so my kids did not use the pool. For our breakfast buffet we went down 20 min. before ten in the morning, only to be informed that they had made their last call for breakfast already. Actually they were already cleaning and taking in the food into the kitchen from the buffet tables..Quite a dismay, many were still coming down to take their breakfast on the empty buffet tables. We checked out early and transferred to another hotel.

2 Thank efiram_f
MicrotelMallofAsia, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manila/At Mall of Asia, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment in TripAdvisor with regards to your recent stay with us in Microtel Mall of Asia. It is sad to know that we were not able to meet your expectations especially in terms of the size of our rooms and swimming pool. We will use your comment to improve on our services. We look forward to welcoming you back and giving us another chance to serve you.

Travelers are raving about these Pasay hotels

Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

My recent stay at this hotel was a nightmare. I was travelling with my 9 year old son and spent a night at this hotel due to location to the airport before going back to Canada. We were assigned a room on the 12th floor which is below the rooftop swimming pool, at 11pm we were woken up with a loud noise from above the room that sounds like they are re-arranging chairs and tables. It finally stopped after about an hour of listening to it and then at 6am a vibrating noice woken us up again, the noise was so annoying because it kept going on and off and we even turned off the AC to see if it was coming from there but then realize that it sounds like from a water pump. I called the front desk and made her aware of the noise. When I went in to shower, one of the TWO towels has a red stain and the white shower curtain is dirty that disgusted me. I brought it down to show the front desk when we checked out and ask for the manager on duty. After waiting for someone for about 10min, the operation manager finally came down and I told her about my frustrations with no sleep and stained towel. She said, it's her 1st week on the job and she's not aware of the noise situation at the hotel etc etc., she apologized and that's all she did. She said they will do something the next time I'll stay with them. I told her we are just vacationing from Canada and I won't know when are we be back to Phil again. I hope she knows that word of mouth is the key to success of any business. And also being new to her position should know NOT to let any guests leaves the hotel unhappy. Another issue is the breakfast, not too impress. They have too many servers busy talking to each other that I have to ask 2 people for a coffee and a refill after that. Not enough food, selection is poor for the rates they are charging. You have to wait for food to come one at a time at the buffet table. All said and done, I believe that all the bad reviews from this hotel are all true. Will never recommend or stay at this hotel in Manila. There are lots of NICE and newer hotels in Manila to choose from!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Theresa T
MicrotelMallofAsia, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Manila/At Mall of Asia, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment in TripAdvisor with regards to your recent stay with us in Microtel Mall of Asia. It is with deep concern to know about your negative experience during your stay. We offer no excuses and rest assured that we will look into the things you pointed out and address them accordingly. We will use your comments for us to improve on our services. We understand that you do not have any intention of going back but we still hope that you would reconsider your decision in the future.