Copacobana Apartment Hotel
HotelJen.com
$81
$60
  • Breakfast included
The Mabuhay Manor(Pasay)(Great Value!)
$38
$35
$58
$51
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Victoria Court Gil Puyat(Pasay)(Great Value!)
$37
$28
Trip.com
$75
$58
Agoda.com
Starlight Bed and Breakfast(Pasay)(Great Value!)
$30
  • Pool
$262
$234
Hotels.com
All reviewsliving roomentertainment complexrooms are fineswimming poollarge bednice poolone night stayair conditioningfast foodnear airportmanila bayasiainternetmallelevatorbaclarancons
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We recently stayed at the Copacabana, and yes, like many others the main attraction was the distance to the airport. Maybe we were spoiled by staying at a much better (And strangely, cheaper) hotel in Makati first.

Anyhow, on to the review...

First impression is good, the reception is pleasant enough, the staff too are pleasant. Strangely however, the lift didn't go to the floor we were on, we had to get out and walk the extra flight. Well it's not a deal killer, but this is odd.

The rooms, well they had seemingly been painted recently - the paint looked fresh and undamaged. It is however hard to disguise that this is an aging building. The window in particular was a real giveaway being quite worn. This however is a picky issue, and perhaps shouldn't be of major concern.

The aircon is noisy, but this is an advantage, because it helps drown out the clamour of the busy entertainment district outside, and the constant very busy often gridlocked traffic.

The beds as other reviews have said, are hard, but the pillows nowhere near as bad as some have said - maybe they've been replaced.

What is a big gripe, is the fact they charge for internet access. Even other hotels in this price bracket don't always charge for this - and it is quite expensive.
Beware the temptation also to make a coffee - those sachets of coffee which every single other hotel I have ever stayed in have been complementary (Or should I say, included in the price), are chargable.
Sorry but the counter some may say that this is a budget hotel, just doesn't wash. The prices the Copacabana charge, it is definitely not a budget hotel, it's merely cheaper than many.

Regarding the common areas in the hotel, the corridor as you step outside your room, and the stairs, well it has all the ambience of a UK high rise council estate block. This isn't a compliment.

Note has to be made of the surrounding area. Should you decide to venture out, take care. You will first notice the smell around the corner - the inner street is literally awash with urine. It seems many people leaving the nightclubs use the gutter, and here it stays. This is not an exaggeration.
Pinoy relatives have confirmed also that this is not a safe area at all - even for them. Foreigners may or may not be perceived as a target, as some might think they have money.

So I'd rate this as average, it certainly isn't rubbish, but is no expensive or classy hotel either. I can only recommend this if you absolutely have to be near the airport, aren't looking for a vacation here but are just passing through, and don't intend venturing out.
There really is much better out there, who don't make extra charges and are cheaper to begin with.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Yorkshiresheep
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I thought location wise it would serve good purpose for an overnight stay before catching an early flight next day. Well, not really!

If you stay in Greenbelt Makati area, using the Skyway, it would get you to airport just as well - need probably extra 3 minutes and extra 30-40 pesos only from Greenbelt to airport...

But the real downside for this property is the noise level! Even if you are in 10th floor, the constant traffic din from below sounds like the traffic is just outside your window. Saved only by Bose's noise cancelling earphone for a night's sleep. Never again, even if they pay me to do so!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Jonathan Y, General Manager at Copacobana Apartment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

We are sorry for your experience. We are addressing the problem of street noise in our on-going renovations. We are sound proofing the door and window leading to the balcony. Meanwhile may I suggest requesting for an apartment on our other wing which is away from the street. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again, hopefully this problem will be resolved by that time. Thank you for your comments.

With kind regards,

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed here for just the one night, wish it had been longer actually. Very nice big room. Breakfast around the pool was very nice. It is a little noisy as other travelers have commented on. Would stay here again if I was spending a few days in Manila. Nice and close to the airport, so you can avoid most of the terrible Manila traffic.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights, first night we were on the top floor and it was like sleeping on the highway..traffic noise and horns were incredibly loud..we asked to be moved which wasnt a problem and although it was slightly better there was still as lot of traffic noise
Friends had stayed 2 nights previous and left us a parcel and letter of advice... only for us to be told on arrival there was no mail or parcel there for us.
On the upside the rooms were spacious and clean and breakfast was great..also security were extremely helpful.....but the noise is a definite problem.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jude1441
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Stayed at this hotel overnight for leisure time.

I booked my room a day prior to my stay using the hotel's website, and the process was fast and seamless.

Chek-in was also a breeze: it took the front desk staff less than five minutes to confirm my booking, make me sign some papers, hand me the room keys, and dispatch me with a bellboy to my room.

I got a one-bedroom suite, which has a separate living room/dining room/kitchen and bedroom (where the bathroom was also located). On the living room was a couch, armchair and coffee table. The dining area was composed of a four-seater table. Over at the kitchen was a refrigerator (which also serves as the mini bar - price of items only a bit higjer than those foundnin convenience stores), an electric hot plate and oven, water heater, cooking utensils, and dinnerware (good for two people; I guess you could request for additional items from housekeeping). Over at the bedroom was a sngle, large bed fronting the sink/dresser/tv stand. There were also two spacious closets inside the bedroom. The suite had a balcony facing the main road (EDSA). On a positive note, the room was spacious, aircon kept room temperature comfortable, and hot and cold water was abundant in supply. The place is showing signs of age though (i.e.paint cracking from some places,distinctsmell of mildew in the cabinet under the kitchen counter and sink) although there are visible attempts from management to renovate some rooms.

I ordered from room service, and while they had a limited selection of dishes, the food was good (I tried breakfast, dinner and snacks) and reasonably priced. It took the kitchen staff about 30 minutes to process a food order, which is acceptable for me.

Chek-out also took about five minutes, the wait attributed to inspection of the room by housekeeping staff for things forgotten and, more importantly, of mini bar items consumed or hotel property missing.

In general, staff were courteous, and appeared to have positive disposition towards guests. Of note, though, was that the security officer did not offer to lend a hand in transferring my luggage from the taxi trunk to the lobby (I had three separate luggage items with me) upon my arrival.

Apart from the hotel's obvious age, the other downside of this hotel is it's location. It is quite far from the nearest convenience store/grocery, so you would have to either buy everything from the hotel, or make purchase your needs outside prior to check-in (I did the latter). Since the hotel is located along a major avenue, rooms located along the front of the hotel would also tend to experience some ambient noise even with all windows closed.

Overall, however, I would say that this place still gives you value for your money. Those looking for better service should opt to stay in other nearby, pricier hotels.

• Stayed: September 2012