As far as LOCAL (meaning outside 5-star hotels) buffet spreads go, Vikings Restaurant is king.
I've actually heard of Vikings from way way back but have always had the impression that the lines were too long and didn't want to bother falling and waiting in line.
But when Vikings - SM Megamall recently opened near my place, I decided to give it a try.....on a weekday (April 16) Wednesday prior to the start of the Holy Week holidays at lunchtime to avail of the lowest possible rates as it's almost double per person on weekends and holidays lunch and dinner time.
1) Very very wide range and selections of food internationally from Chinese, Japanese, Seafood, American, Korean, Filipino and including a wide range of desserts plus unlimited ice cream and bottomless sodas and draft beers! (I drank 7 glasses of soda).
2) Modern, spacious and well-lighted interiors doesn't make the crowds of people too irritating as there are countless tables and chairs to sit on, including the elevated tables which they directed me to.
3) Knowledgeable chefs in each station clearly know what they're doing and are quite organized in preparing and serving their food to each passing patron.
4) Above-average value for money: I spent PhP 722.40 for a lunch buffet and this amount went a long way compared to other restaurants these days which can cost P300 - P600 per person for one single dish of ordinary meal in a shopping mall.
5) Does this count? The attractive and sexy hostesses manning the front registration entrance makes waiting for my number for half an hour not so bad. (At least I get to girl-watch while waiting for my number to be called).
1) Although considered organized compared to most restaurants, Vikings will have to further improve its system of handling the hordes of patrons waiting to dine in their restaurant. The current number system makes it a half-hour wait at best. The lines of people waiting outside and barricades set up at the entrance give the impression of cattle being herded into a storehouse. If Vikings wants to continue its success, it shouldn't make its valued patrons wait outside for too long (even if Megamall is air-conditioned).
2) This is one thing I have to complain about: The Roast Beef is hard to chew. Compared to Raffles Makati's Spectrum Restaurant, the roast beef at Vikings is like chewing on steel. You're charging patrons quite a high amount for a local restaurant, at least you should use 5-star good-quality soft tender juicy beef! Use more tenderizers!
3) Why is there no LOBSTER TAIL being served in the Seafood Section? Raffles Makati's Spectrum has it. You should also have it!
Compared to most local restaurants, Vikings is definitely king. It has the widest selection of food that edges out Raffles Makati's Spectrum Restaurant's selection. But it stops there.
Your food selection at Vikings, although wide-range in terms of quantity, needs more QUALITY to be able to make it to my eyes, which is Spectrum of Raffles Makati and Circles of Makati Shangri-La.
Good job with the selection. But work harder to make it A-1 QUALITY!
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.