“3 STAR HOTEL, 5 STAR SERVICE!”
Review of New Horizon Hotel

New Horizon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Reviewed August 28, 2011

My wife and I had an overnight stay there yesterday which was actually our 4th or 5th time to book there. Let's breakdown the hotel ;)

Room:
We always book the deluxe room with queen bed. The room is spacious and functional. It has a table for small business materials (laptops, papers etc.). A small table with 2 chairs if you want to have your food serviced to your room. 2 side tables - where I put the remote and all small electronics ;) a sofa and coffee table which accommodated our bags actually (always hehe). The only downside: the view from your room :( It's not a high rise bldg so your view will be limited. Don't expect too much people! This is a 3-star hotel to remind you ;) They have in-room safe but it's quite small. Even my notebook didn't fit there so I just took it down with us when we had a meal at the Picasso - they offer free wi-fi at the resto and lobby. I'm not sure if the charge you for internet access in your room.

T&B:
Big enough not to be hit by the door when you are seated on the "throne". Not too fancy, not modern as a matter of fact but again, functional. Available upon request: iron and board, wall socket adapters. They have hair dryers in the bathroom so no excuse for bad hair day :D

Lobby:
A bit small really but it has never been cramped when we go there. They have a number of seats to rest your buns while waiting to be checked-in/out.

Food:
I've never been disappointed with their food (read: NEVER!). For snack after checking in, we had the pancit bihon (Chinese stir-fried noodles) which can serve 2 and costs 150 pesos (approx. USD3.50) and chix burger for PhP99 which comes with a drink and macaroni salad (approx. USD2.30). For dinner we had the grilled squid and glazed pork loin.

IMPORTANT:
Don't miss the chef's special! You will have 4 sets to choose from and it includes (drum roll please): soup, salad, main course and dessert! It's quite a steal actually. It only costs PhP295 (approx. USD6.80).

Buffet breakfast served until 10 am. Decent selection. They have fish, tocino (cured pork), eggplant omelet, salad, sausage, soup, breads, cereals, fruits and fried eggs (upon request - omelet or plain). They have dimsum, coffee and fruit juice stations.

If you are quite picky on your food, there is a convenience store (7-11) and fast foods nearby (Wendy's, McDonald's and Jollibee). If you are the food adventure type, you can try local food in the market also nearby.

Location:
Close to the MRT station and main road (EDSA Ave.) If you will be taking a cab, I would suggest dropping off at EDSA. Otherwise, you might find it difficult to find a U-Turn spot so you could drop off at the hotel. But, taxi drivers are sometimes resourceful so make sure before taking a taxi, ask him if he knows where the hotel is. If you have your own ride, hmm... it'll be quite a challenge if you are not from the metro. Don't be shy to ask for directions ;)

Staff:
Their best asset!!! Always smiling (not the annoying type ok?), they always greet you when they pass by and prompt to your requests!

What else?
They don't have a pool, they don't have a gym. The place is good for those short stay or if you plan to have a long stay but would be busy taking side trips/tours in the metro during the day.

I'll give this hotel 5/5 stars for overall for cleanliness and quality of service :) enjoy your stay :D

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hardware_syndrome
There are newer reviews for New Horizon Hotel

Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stayed there 4 nights. We booked this hotel after reading the reviews. The reviews were right. It was nice and quiet hotel to stay. We enjoyed our stay there.The rooms were big. Only the shower was under pressure. They need to do something about this. The staff were really very helpfull. Always greeting you with a smile. Cheers to them. The food was very simple but we have no complain. Their service was 5 star. The hotel is near to the MRT station. Easy to get to any place. The taxi to the airport took us just 15 minutes. The hotel arrange for us the taxi to the airport for a flat rate of 250 peso. Very fair we would say. We also chated with some other guest staying there. All of them were happy with the hotel. Very clean and house keeping was excellent. Overall we enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Leisure93
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Has everything you need. Great food, Good service, money exchange, bar, room service and much more - Good location

Room Tip: 319 is a little bit bigger than other rooms because of its location to the stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DAISEYGIBBS
Reviewed June 10, 2011

i dont frequent manila often but i go there may 3x a year mostly for seminars and trainings..i usually stay at Makati area coz its where most seminars are and i was most surprised by the the professionalism of their staff - first rate. The rooms are spacious and the food is great but I have to agree with one of the raters here that the neighborhood is drab. Not much to see but in fairness Wendys, 7-11 and McDonalds are just a few steps away. The location to my opinion is its greatest strength..Its just along EDSA and very near MRT. Overall, my stay was great and i highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank erictus
Reviewed June 2, 2011

I follow reviews on trip advisor before I make a reservation or plan a stay. I am not stating anything new in my review of this hotel that you won't find from other reviewers. The service there is among the best even beating many of the 4 or 5 star hotels that I frequent. I spent 3 weeks at this hotel and enjoyed my stay immensely. The front desk staff is incredible and always greeting you with respect and a sense of proffessionalism. I would like to hand out a special compliment to Krystal fo her wonderful service and sense of professionalism

The housecleaning staff is of the highest calibre as well. I received great service and want to give a young woman named Mafel extra kudos. All the housekeepers were great but she went out of her way to work around my busy schedule. I believe it was because she has a degree in HRM and for some reason is working in housekeeping instead of front office staff.

I was very pleased with the food at the on site restaurant. The chef does an excellent job at keeping a wide selection of food at each morning buffet. They even prepared pancakes for me everyday along with the buffet. I received excelent service and I believe the best server on the staff was a fellow named Rodrigo. He always kept my drinks filled and was always removing dishes and checking on me.

The only downide of the restaurant was how often the four course special changed. This is one of the best values in all of Manila. The food was always of the highest quality and I was never displeased. The chef is a virtuoso especially when it comes to the soups. I had read about this restaurant and having spending much time in Asia, I was happy to find a restaurant that had European fare. The head chef is very personable and greeted me several times. He is one of the greatest assets of this hotel and if you get the chance, ask to meet him.

In addition, the security at this hotel is impeccable as well. They won't allow anyone in the hotel without contacting the guest first and are always displaying professionalism and pride in their position I don't normally give reviews that are this extensive but my stay at this hotel warrants it. I would recommend this hotel to everyone that I know and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011
5  Thank itraveltheworldnow
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Unlike other hotels, this hotel is SERIOUS about it's guests and its business.

PROS: Uniform courtesy by all staff......clean large hygienic rooms......the aircons work......a buffet breakfast that rivals any i've had in the US (including the Marriott in Boston which was my prior favorite).....proper security...... and excellent rates....... Also it is near EDSA (which can land you in Makati, the CBD, in 10-15 minutes flat nearly anytime of day) which is a "major" thoroughfare in Manila,.....hotel's a stone's throw from LRT (but i never took it cause cabs are a faster and bettter way of travel if you're in a group)......and it's near a jeepney terminus (if you're into that) on Boni avenue......free ethernet in each room....24 hour McD, Wendy's and 7 Eleven within 100 meters of hotel.

CONS. The neigborhood is drab......rooms don't have anything much of a "view".....the housekeeping is a bit cheap on keeping tabs on every request you make (for example, requested a power converter plug for my laptop...duly noted by staff. also my 70+ yr old father accidentally packed a plastic trowser hanger in with his hanging trowsers into luggage....sure enough after a weeks worth of stay...at check out he had to open his bag and hunt it out to return it!!! what a silly scene....worse than customs!).....it's bit distant from the "corniche" waterfront district of Manila (Roxas Blvd). (but then again with EDSA Blvd you can't go wrong, don't let cabbies run up your bill by taking anything OTHER than EDSA).

Room Tip: get higher floor.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank kiersMumbai
Reviewed June 1, 2011

I was somewhat excited about this hotel after viewing the rooms online. Traveled with my 2 month-old baby and several family members. Our flight arrived from at Manila around 7AM. Knowing that check-in time was 12PM, we killed time at the Pancake House for breakfast. We arrived at the hotel by 10:30ish. I asked if it was possible to be checked in early, and Rowena, the Front Desk personnel's response was different than what I was expecting to hear. She said that she will let us check in as soon as a room becomes available. We were checked in to our room by 11AM.

After having checked in, our room phone rang and it was the front desk person asking "how we're liking our room." You see, this kind of customer service does not exist here in the Philippines. It made me feel I was in the US...

Early that night, we asked if we could use the kitchen's microwave to sterilize our baby bottles, and Rowena, the front desk clerk made arrangements to allow us to sterilize our bottles in their kitchen. Rowena noticed that it took almost 20 minutes to use the microwave on our first night, so the next day, Rowena took it upon herself to escort us to the kitchen to ensure that we were able to use the microwave with no problems.

All in all, our stay was very comfortable due to the extra effort made by the staff. Typically, customer service is something you have to "squeeze" out of the people here, but it is a nice surprise to experience it.

Many thanks.
KJL

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank lopezkj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
Go Hotels Mandaluyong
#7 of 22 in Pasig
Rio Suites
Rio Suites
#2 of 11 in Mandaluyong

Been to New Horizon Hotel? Share your experiences!