“Quiet, good wifi, great sleep at a reasonable price”

Crossroads Hostel Manila
Iowa City
“Quiet, good wifi, great sleep at a reasonable price”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I've now stayed at this hostel three times - my first time landing in Manila, and then two subsequent times in between trips elsewhere in the Philippines using Manila's airport as a hub.

I keep coming back because this hostel keeps on delivering - good price (much cheaper than most of the other hostels in Manila - and I've done the research), good sleep (Quiet and aircon works well), really fast wifi.

Each time I've stayed here I've stayed in the 4 bed dorm. Aircon works great, towels are provided and the beds are comfortable. Most importantly, this is one of the quietest hostels I've slept in in SE Asia - I rarely sleep in in hostels because of all the other people (in the common room, in the dorm) that make noise but here the rooms have a great sound insulation property that allows you to sleep as long as you want.

As other reviews have mentioned, the rooms are a bit small but there is enough room for your bag(s) and thats all you need. The common area is a relaxing place to hang out and surf the web, though the wifi also works great in the rooms.

The location is a bit far out from the "touristy" areas of Manila but I've actually enjoyed that - when you walk around the streets around this location it is just locals - no one hassling you for a taxi or a tour - if you need one you can get one but its not like other areas of the Philippines where touts can be pushy.

The location also has a more "authentic" feel to it - Manila is a big city and everyone is just doing their own thing - there are loads of local tricycles and shops just 30 meters from the hostel entrance.

There are two big shopping malls a five minute walk from the hostel, both with big food courts and both with lots of places to do some shopping if you're into that (I wasn't).

I will continue to come back to crossroads hostel when I come through Manila.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Buhjet-backpacker
krisatienza, Owner at Crossroads Hostel Manila, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Sir, it was a pleasure serving you and we always look forward serving you again. Crossroads Hostel Manila is here to stay. Thank you very much for your detailed review and story that relate your experience in our young hostel. Your review helped as much as we helped you.
Mabuhay to you!

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I have never ever ever tried hostel before because I do not feel comfortable in sharing a bedroom with strangers, but, with my plans of a backpacking trip of the Philippines I figured I better get used to it so that I can save money for experiencing places I will be going to. And so yesterday, I took a bed at the Crossroads Hostel in Mandaluyong.

Reservation:

Online, they have airbnb and hostelworld as the websites to visit to reserve but their Facebook page advertises their agoda partnership as well where I tried to book. The rate agoda was giving me was PHP 306.01 which was pretty good but my credit card was not working due to it being expired (I rarely use it so I didn't realize it needed to be replaced, hahaha) so I called them and was told that I can reserve via booking.com where I got it for PHP 420 which is still a good deal considering the walk in rate is PHP 600. No credit card needed for this site, just pay when you get to the hostel. Cool!

Checking In:

Check In time is 2PM. There is a note on their "front desk" that they can give a grace period of an hour early check in and an hour late check out if the beds are not reserved by someone else. They will ask for your confirmation from the site you reserved a bed, fill out a simple registration form and pay your bed plus a refundable PHP 1000 deposit. You get your room key and a welcome pamphlet where you will find the wifi password and a tour around the place.

Around the Hostel:

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with how clean it was all throughout my stay. There is an available cable television in the common room where you can watch while you eat. There is a koi pond and a simple living room with some board games and magazines. You can also use their awesome kitchen with complete utensils. Very homey, i loved it.

Room and Bed:

I reserved a bed in the 4 bed room and had it all to myself for the duration. You get one fleece blanket, one pillow, a reading lamp, a towel and a roll of tissue paper. Aircondition works great and you have a privacy curtain in case there are other people in the room. The bed was too firm for my liking, but I still had a comfortable night's sleep. On their ads, they claim that the rooms are sound proof, now it may just be my definition of sound proof but I can hear them perfectly when they talk outside. It wasn't a nuisance unless someone raises their voice.

Take note that there is a big plastic container for your belongings and there is a portable stacking table that I was able to use as well.

Bathroom:

Very very very clean! 2 shower stalls, 2 toilets and 2 sinks. Bidets are available too, very good! They have a working water heater.

Pros:

Location
Cleanliness
Helpful and Kind Staff

Cons:

No trash can in the room
Curfew at 11PM

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Janadoodles
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Unfortunately only stayed one night there, because the hostel is really great. Crispy clean, airconditioned rooms with private lockers, full kitchen facilities, free fast wireless everywhere and a beautiful commen room area with games and even a koi pond.
Location is great, there is a big local food market for your foods and fruits and Megamall Ortigas is only a 5 minute walk.
Staff is very helpful and friendly too, allowing me to make a late check-in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Zamboanga City, Philippines
Reviewed October 17, 2013

How do i expound further the phrase home in the metro? I have returned to this hostel not just because its close to my business point, but, because of its homy atmosphere.
The staff makes you feel at home, not just just a special guest. I have to agree with all the previous comments and reply of the management.
To backpackers, this a great way to experience living in a bungallow Filipino house. This means from the house structure, set up and the whole ambience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RAZMON
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I was at crossroads for a month and found the staff without exception to be kind and helpful. The place is immaculate. The local road is an interesting hive of activity with a local market. And the hostel is very conveniently placed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TomsW3280HN
krisatienza, Manager at Crossroads Hostel Manila, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write this feedback, TomsW3280HN. It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We really appreciate the positive feedback you gave and our staff are surely inspired once again for reading how good they have made all their guests comfortable and feel right at home.
We hope that more visitors like yourself will get to enjoy the experience you felt while saving more money in the process while relishing the sights and sounds of Manila.
Mabuhay to you and we hope to cross paths once again soon!
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Based on the great reviews I decided to stay here one night. The hostel is really pretty; one of those features is an indoor koi pond. Well, the pond attracts thousands of mosquitos! In the common room! I had to deal with a lot of bugs in my trip to the Philippines, but never inside a hostel. Needless to say, I went to bed early and left as soon as I could the next morning.

Room Tip: Bring bug spray?
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ford W
krisatienza, Manager at Crossroads Hostel Manila, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for your comments, FordW.

We are so sorry for the mosquitoes. For months on end we've been trying to figure out how to eliminate them, if not reduce them greatly so they won't go inside your rooms but unfortunately they're a tricky bunch. On top of the frequent bug spraying we've been doing daily (which we do not like but have no choice), we bought an army of Citronella plants to reduce their numbers greatly, the tall grass-like leaves you saw when you checked in so it would be more guest-friendly. No luck. As soon as they got a whiff of the plant, they only transfer to other places.
We'll also be doing the following immediately, adding more Koi Fishes and to lessen their feeding so they subsist more on mosquito larvae. We'll also install window screens to greatly reduce bug visits from our neighbor's gardens.
We're not about to raise the white flag, FordW. We've been dealing with this issue because of the non-stop rains since mid-June.
We are and we will continue to address the issue until we finally eliminate the critters in our hostel for the convenience of our guests.
Once again, we deeply apologize for the much inconvenience these bugs caused and we will inform you of our success down the road.
We hope this didn't dampen your spirits in touring The Philippines. We wish you well and we hope for your safety in all your travels elsewhere. Mabuhay!
Nanning, China
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Although the area seems a little sketch, the hostel is in a pretty good location. The hostel itself is really nice and clean. The staff is ridiculously friendly and really made our brief stay in Manila incredible. The common area is quite lovely and the rooms are a good size with comfortable beds. I never felt like i needed to lock up my stuff or like i wasn't safe, regardless of the surrounding area. Enjoyed our stay, would easily return!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Laurels88
krisatienza, Manager at Crossroads Hostel Manila, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Laurels88 thank you, thank you, thank you. We're glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us and it was even more remarkable for us that you took time to write a review. Your post will not just make more people curious but overall help them save more during their travel here in this part of the Philippines. For that, thank you so much. We hope to have you join us next time. So until we see you back here, please take care and enjoy your travels. Have a nice day!