“Superb Service at Edsa Shangri La”
Review of Edsa Shangri-La

Edsa Shangri-La
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I stayed at the Edsa Shangri La for 2 nights. This was my 2nd stay at this hotel during the last 12 mos. It is a beautiful hotel with every amenity you could think of to include spa, health club, pool, and it's even connect to the Shangri La Shopping Plaza via a breeze way for your convenience.

If you want for anything at this hotel, it's simply because you didn't ask. They open the doors for you as you come and leave the premise. They are stationed at the elevators and press the button before you even arrive at the elevator doors. Of course, there is security both inside and outside the hotel including trained dogs. No taxi or vehicle is permitted on the premise without first being inspected.

The room is lovely. Mine had a large, comfortable king-sized bed with 4 large pillows. There are also robes and slippers in the room for use during your stay. The TV was not a flat screen, but was decent, worked well, and average sized (maybe 25"). The bathroom has a granite counter top, full-size tub, and a make-up mirror. I also love that they provide you with some complimentary fruit and water in the room. I generally arrive in the evening when I fly-in. I'm too tired to go out for dinner, but still a little hungry. A piece of fruit is just perfect. I must say, though, the only disappointment during my stay was the internet connection. It was quite aweful. It continually told me it could not display even the simplest web pages like when I clicked on an email in my account. It would not display the email and I would have to refresh or hit the back button 5 - 10 times before the email finally came up. It did the same thing with Facebook. Something that should have only taken me 5 mins. took me 25 mins., literally. I found this very frustrating. I know this is not typical because I've been to the Philippines a number of times and have stayed at 5 different hotels. I don't remember having this issue at any other hotel here before. In fact, the internet connection at the Holiday Inn that I'm staying at right now in Clark is wonderful.

As for other wonderful things at the Edsa Shangri La, the breakfast buffet is second to none! You can select from Philipino, Indian, Japanese, American, and some other nationalies' foods I'm sure I'm forgetting! Of course, they also have a chef there to cook your eggs to order. I absolutely love their breakfast! And again, their service is impeccable. For example, pushing in your chair every time you sit down and promptly taking away your empty plates.

Their health club is nice, as well. They have a nice men's (so I've been told by my colleagues) and ladies' locker room. Their weights and cardio equipment are in good condition, and cardio machines have built-in TVs for your work-out entertainment. Of course, towels and water flavored with orange slices are provided. They also provide you with a headset to plug into the TV, but bring your own from your iPod because I find them too small for my head (unadjustable) and I can't hear very well with them even at max volume. My iPod ear buds worked really well, though.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Edsa Shangri La for outstanding service and luxury.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank KailuaGal
There are newer reviews for Edsa Shangri-La

Reviewed September 26, 2010

I recently had a pleasure to visit Manila for first time and stayed at Shangri La (Edsa). This is a very sophisticated, clean and upscale hotel in the heart of shopping, very convenient to different places in Manila and is very well appointed. The airport pick up had me listed as a guest and i was in the car within minutes upon my 10.30 pm arrival into Manila. At arrival, I was escorted (my bags were taken care of by the bell desk) and the check in was quite simple and efficient. I was escorted to my room by the bell boy who also delivered the bags.

The room was beautiful with a great view of the pool and the Makati sky line (i was on 13th floor). Not a lot of buildings have 13th floor. The room smelled fresh and was very inviting. The bathroom was clean and had a nice large sink with the standard amenities. The staff at Edsa Shangrila goes above and beyond to make you feel Royal and treat you like king. After my first week almost everyone knew me by n ame and would greet me. The breakfast at Heat restaurant was excellent and was almost like a lunch. I could skip or take a light lunch because of the food choices available. There was food for every taste (including Vegetarians). All restaurants at this hotel had great selection of food available for vegetarians like me. In my 2 weeks, I did not run out of options. This is very important to someone like me.

The facilities (Spa, Health club, Swim Pool) were excellent and did not have any complaints. The staff at all these facilities was very professional. The conceirge desk managed by Avis had great service and I was never kept waiting. My office pick up even past mid night and at 4 am were on time and i felt safe traveling in the Avis cars. The cars were good condition and the drivers spoke perfect english and were very knowledgeable about the area. They did have good recommendations for day trips for the weekend.

The hotel was proactive on my date of departure. They called me at 7.30 pm to let me know that there was an accident on way to airport and the anticipated journey time is 2 hours. I left at 8 pm instead of planned 9.30 pm and was glad that the hotel called me. If I had left at the original planned time, I would have not made to my flight. The hotel conceirge desk deserves kudos. The staff at Heat restaurant (Jesel and others) were very courteous and professional. They went out of way to make sure that everything is in order. The wait staff (Alex and others) were phenomenal. I am glad I chose this hotel for my 2 week visit to Manila.

This is the best service at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank CTCAMRYLE
Reviewed September 24, 2010

I've been to Manila many, many times, and have stayed at the EDSA Shang on at least 10 occassions.

It is the best hotel in the Ortigas area. The hotel sits between the Shangri-La mall and the Megamall, which offer dozens of dining options. The restaurants in the hotel, while very good, are also quite expensive.

For entertainment, it is a ~15 minute ride to Metrowalk or Tiendesitas or ~30 minute car-ride to Ft Bonafacio and Makati. It is also ~45 minutes to the airport.

The rooms are very comfortable, though not overly lavish. Beds are soft, and bathrooms are clean. Tip: leave a couple hundred pesos and a note asking for extra water each morning. You will generally be greeted with an ample supply.

While the Makati Shangri-La receives a lot of attention, I find the customer service at the EDSA Shang to much more personal and friendly, which is great when you're going to stay for a week or two.

The pool area is very nice and generally quiet during the week. The lobby is a good place to grab a drink or snack. The buffet restaurant, Heat, has a great breakfast, which I highly recommend if it is included in your rate.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank rmh1975
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I spent a a lovely day and night at this wonderful hotel a few miles from Makati. Its ambience is most welcoming and inviting in its calming atmosphere. The lobby is magnificent. The staff provided superb service and the food was delicious. A breakfast meeting we arranged was held in a private room that was lovely and served our needs quite well. The rooms are beautifully appointed and I happened to see a suite that was truly luxurious. The hotel is conveniently near shopping but a away from Makati. with traffic in Manila the few miles can take a long time if that is where you need to be. Consider this if you need to be near Mandalayoung or Quezon City.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Judith A
Reviewed September 12, 2010

First the staff are great very friendly and accomodating...The room is old (1418), dirty curtains, no flatscreen tv, the aircon is quite noisy you can hear a noise everytime you change the thermostat, the design is old compared to sofitel and newrooms of century park..Bathroom is regular..The pool is excellent, my baby enjoyed playing around.One of the best pool ive been to. Buffet breakfast, lots of selection except the place is crowdy and small. The floor plan is not well thoght off that you'll get dizzy where you want to get your food. The security at the basemnt parking is quite poor. Anybody can enter the basement parking and go up the floors thru the elevators. They should do something about this considering this is Shangri-la hotel....This is my first time to check in at this place and im quite disappointed, i guess i have just high expectations from shangri-la...For me stay out of this floor...I would still choose sofitel and diamond hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DokGrey
Reviewed September 5, 2010

this hotel is outstanding. the staff is hard working, courteous and ready to cater to your every whim. with shopping malls all around the hotel this place is a shoppers dream. also available in the hotel are excursions that are cheap and well worth taking. this 5 star hotel is quite beautiful, VERY clean and has all sorts of amenities. it is an all rounder.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank ADAMS133
Reviewed September 1, 2010

When we return to Manila, we always use Shangrila EDSA as our preferred home in Manila. We've previously stayed in Shangrila Makati, but will always choose Shangrila EDSA over it.

It is very close by to SM Megamall, Shangrila Plaza (great choice of restaurants) and MRT. This hotel is also located conveniently to other areas of Manila, like Quezon City and Fort Bonifacio.

The customer service is great. I was unhappy about the first room we were allocated and our request to change rooms was promptly attended.

We received the complimentary fruit and evening turn down services. The breakfast buffet is definitely unbeatable with great choice of various international food!

The pool is big enough and the kids loved the slide and was open from early in the morning until 10 in the evening. This year, my nearly 8 year old learnt how to dive here.

I did look at the CHI Spa rates and was flabbergasted at the prices, therefore didn't try. I went to nearby Shangrila Plaza instead for any spa services.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank stummy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
The Peninsula Manila
#5 of 86 in Makati
Walled City
The Manila Hotel
The Manila Hotel
#5 of 109 in Manila

Been to Edsa Shangri-La? Share your experiences!