“New Approach”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Long Beach, California, Usa
“New Approach”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Always arrived in the country early morning airport,hotel and straight to the room for much needed rest however this time is different in the car approaching the hotel lobby notice there’s a Lady(Lyka) with the big smile waiting to welcome me on her outside working hours blows me away and I believe that was planned it was nice.During the stretch of my stay it was excellent guest relations team give their best,credible and being consitent.Glitches fades away fast counters with rapid remedy. Abundant selections, Quality of Food @ heat makes me eat more than I should have and guilty.The effort and services are exceptional.Security patiently guiding me into my room from a long night of entertainment ensuring guess safety. Throught the years Mr.Donato from avis 24/7 always available.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank G M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel only for 1 night (Nov.2-3) and I will never go back. They provided horrible service especially to their fellow Filipino people. It is a beautiful hotel but I am not impressed with the service that the reception and concierge staff has given me provided that this is a so-called 5-star hotel.

1. My sister had booked a room in this hotel and paid for an extra bed but when I arrived with my brother, his wife and 2 kids there was only 1 bed. I was disappointed because we paid for an extra bed and they gave us a sofa bed which was not good enough. I have phoned the reception and requested a room transfer but they said that the hotel was fully-booked (which I did not believe as I studied Tourism Management abroad and knows a lot about hotels and I myself work in a 5-star hotel in the UK). I told them that this is not what I had expected and is not at all impressed and they finally transferred us to another room (and they said initially they are fully booked!).

2. The staff prioritized foreigners which was frustrating and unfair because we paid for our accommodation the same price as they did. Also, some of the staff are waiting to be given tips which was not right because it is the customer's choice if they want to give tips and if they think that staff deserved it.

3. I have asked the concierge to call a taxi cab for me as I have a flight to catch and they did not do it the first time I asked them to, my brother who was with me had to follow up my request. This is not acceptable for a 5 star hotel!

I suggest that you train your staff to do their job or hire new staff!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Patrick S, General Manager at Edsa Shangri-La, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Ms. Shane N,

Thank you for bringing to our attention your experience at Edsa Shangri-La.

We sincerely apologize for the unfortunate incident in the service, which we are addressing with our Rooms Department. We value all our guests, regardless of nationality, and we take all guest feedback very seriously. We would like to inform you that all your comments are duly noted. Rest assured the issues you raised will be addressed in order to consistently provide the level of hospitality and attention that the Shangri-La is known for.

We hope you give us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us and will look forward to having you stay with us again. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at (632) 633 8888, or you can e-mail me at esl@shangri-la.com

Yours sincerely,

Patrick Schaub
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We spent a few nights at the Shangri-La in October and their service was wonderful as usual. The Tower Wing rooms are beautifully renovated but the initial floor we were given had such a strong paint/varnish smell that we asked to be moved. They were able to accommodate our request right away and the other room & floor was much better although there was still a slight smell. It was a little disappointing to be there during the renovation since the lobby looked quite different and the swimming pool was closed but I'm sure the end result will be worth the disruption. Breakfast at Heat was good and my daughter loved getting her hair done at the hotel salon for a wedding. The salon staff were very attentive and spent a lot of time on her hair. We had a great stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank blueglass22
philippines
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Stayed here with my wife on a weekend promo for locals. Initially I wanted to stay in the newly renovated tower wing, but due to ongoing renovation at the tower wing, I decided to go for the Garden wing.The Garden wing has its own check in counter which makes it very convenient for checking in. The rooms are very nice and comfortable. Staff are great and accommodating. They clean and check the room not once but twice a day to make such that everything is up to their excellent standard. That includes the amenities and even drinking water. In terms of location, the hotel is walking distances to the Shangrila Mall thru its walkway connection and the SM Megamall, two of the best mall in the Philippines, where you find the best stores and restaurants. The swimming pool is under renovation at this time, but their SPA is fully operational.

Room Tip: Go to the Garden wing as the tower wing still have renovation till the first quarter of 2014.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jdchua521
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2013

The EDSA Shang is being spruced up and the new rooms are terrific - the curtains don't let in light, good showers, air conditioning is excellent and the service is top notch. Can't give it five stars though for a few reasons. Pool under construction and work in other parts of the hotel mean construction noise during the day, which is not the end of the world but detracts from the five star experience. One thing they need to look at is some extra security for people walking down the ramp and along the street to Mega Mall (five minutes). We were hassled twice by street kids. I'm a big believer in giving at the charity level, not the street level - but gee it's hard to say no to kids. I am considering bringing my wife and daughters soon - and would not like them to experience the aggressive, in your face tactics being used. (I'm a reasonably sized male so I didn't feel threatened, just horrible for saying no.) A bit if extra security would be good. Yes, I'll be coming back for business. Excellent room, good bed and it's going to be even better when the reno is finished.

Room Tip: Away from the construction noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank andnowforthenews
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Our family checked in last April for a weekend of Rest and relaxation. The reception was very accommodating although it took us quite a long time to check in because of the long line. Obviously the hotel was jampacked by local. This is a good sign, it means they provide excellent service. The room was pleasant and spacious, breakfast and lunch buffet at the Heat had a great variety of choices, excellent attentive service from our waiter. Unfortunately, the pool was crowded and the children were so noisy and rowdy. Overall, they provided excellent service, will go back on less crowded days.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Everything in the hotel is done to perfection. My wife and I stayed for 9 nights and we will always stay here when in Manila. The service is impeccable, food at the hotel top notch, and the staff professional and courteous.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
Marco Polo Ortigas Manila
#4 of 82 in Makati
The Legend Villas
The Legend Villas
#2 of 7 in Mandaluyong

Been to Edsa Shangri-La? Share your experiences!