“Piece of Shangrila” 5 of 5 bubbles

Quezon City
“Piece of Shangrila”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Piece of Shangrila

The last time I stayed at Edsa Shangrila was in 2005, and going back for a convention indeed stirred good memories and happy ones too. It was all too familiar, since I have stayed and visited since 1992, remembering Harlequin Disco. The checkin was a breeze, the staff was courteous and they greet you everytime unlike before. I would have loved to be billeted in the Garden Wing, and the room I was assigned was the old one destined for renovation. Despite this since I would be in the convention during the working hours of the construction was a fine arrangement with me.So they do need to renovate, as the room should be updated with regards to decor, the old furnishing appeared outdated because of the amount of space it occupies. The corridors could alo be jazzed up with a new coat of paint. The bathroom needs fixing too,but they dont scrimp on the toilettries. I"ve had a very excellent stay despite the " old room" and had a restful sleep. The new bridgeways connecting to the malls was also very helpful. I would still highly recommend to my friends to stay at Edsa Shang.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Patrick S, General Manager at Edsa Shangri-La, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear unrequitedlove,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at Edsa Shangri-La, Manila. We are delighted to know that the hotel has been a part of your life since it opened in 1992. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you find our staff courteous.

Your feedback is encouraging as we strive to provide our guests a memorable stay. We would love to welcome you back and experience the newly renovated guestrooms at the Tower Wing for you to enjoy first-hand the thoughtful touches we have injected into the design to better address the personal needs of our guests.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again in the hotel.

Best wishes,

Patrick Schaub

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

This hotel has a convenient location in the center of Metro Manila and gives value for money. Good service and interesting food outlets, one of which has one of the most extensive buffet selections in the city

Dear MMGMA,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I took delight in reading the details about your stay and your experience at the hotel. We are glad to know that you like the buffet spread at HEAT, our all-day dining restaurant.

Please know that we value your personal experience. On behalf of the rest of my team, I look forward to welcoming you in the future to once again delight you.

Sanya, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I am a business traveller. Nothing better than a great perk of having a fabulous breakfast on the company. The Edsa-Shang without a doubt has the best buffet in Asia. There is everything on this buffet from fruit to Indian curries to Chinese noodle soup.
I am a business traveller but the hotel is very family friendly and a nice swimming pool.
When reserving definitely stay in the Garden Wing on the Horizon Club levels as these are the best rooms for not much more.

Room Tip: Garden Wing is the best.
Dear BPCTraveller604,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Edsa Shangri-La, Manila.

We are extremely happy to read that you rank us as one of the best buffet restaurants in Asia. We are very pleased to know that you find the hotel friendly to both families and business travelers. Each and every member of our team does his very best to better serve our guests.

Please know that I will be sharing this with all the staff of the hotel.
Your feedback is very important to us.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the hotel.

Bangalore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Best hotel in Manila. Very comfortable. Guest services are very well done. Good food, multi cuisine and warm service provided by hotel. You must try the gym as well. Nice spa and massage center. Definite recommend.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Dear VinayN,

We are thankful to know that you find tranquility and comfort while staying at Edsa Shangri-La, Manila. We are extremely appreciative of all your kind words about the hotel facilities and staff.

Please know that we value your feedback. On behalf of the rest of my team, I look forward to welcoming you in the future to once again delight you.

Flossmoor, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I just completed a two week stay at Edsa Shangri-La on a business trip, and must say it was a pleasant experience. The hotel is undergoing a renovation, as was explained to me upon check in, and I was given one of the already renovated rooms. The downside to this renovation work is the noise generated. This normally wouldn't be such an issue; however, working nights in Manila in order to match daytime hours in the US requires days for sleeping. Fortunately the staff does a good job at minimizing any disruption, and this was only an issue on two different days. The room itself was quite comfortable, and the blackout drapes worked wonderfully! The bedding is definitely some of the most comfortable I have encountered anywhere. The renovated bathroom had a large walk-in shower with seat and both handheld sprayer and rain shower shower head above with simple controls for each, as well as a bidet-enhanced seat on the commode. Check in and check out were both handled efficiently, and front desk staff were courteous and attentive. Currency exchange (albeit at lower exchange rates) were also offered at check in. General hotel staff (bellman, porters, concierge) were all outstanding, and I don't believe I opened a door, carried a bag, or called an elevator once. US hotels could stand to take a page out of this book!

As for services within the hotel, my review is a tad more mixed. Staff at the food establishments within the hotel offered a mixed bag of service. The woman who seemed to almost single-handedly run the small bakeshop in the lobby was wonderful. She was attentive, polite, and extremely helpful. The attendants at the pool were amazing, even proactively remembering who the members of a group were, and setting up lounge chairs as additional members walked towards the pool area.

The staff at the pool-side lounge / bar, while extremely polite and friendly, seem to have difficulty with the correct preparation of orders. On several occasions (at least 5 during the stay of 14 days) they made glaring mistakes in orders (as an example, serving a "Hurricane" that was only orange juice and crushed ice, completely omitting even the alcohol, or a tequila sunrise that ended up being tequila, grenadine and Sprite). This is probably the one area in which the biggest improvement could be made.

The hotel's buffet restaurant, HEAT, had a good selection on the breakfast buffet; however, the staff often seemed disorganized, requiring several reminders for various drink orders (coffees, lattes, etc.). Also, a bit more variety in the actual offerings could be useful. Since I believe room service is also provided through HEAT, I will include it here as well. There could definitely be some improvements in this arena as it relates to accuracy. Steak salad ordered was missing the dressing, and even when asked about this, the server said it was on the salad already (it wasn't and was extremely dry just by sight).

Overall, outside of the few exceptions mentioned, the Edsa Shangri-La was a fantastic experience, and still outshines many of its counterparts in other parts of the world. I would definitely recommend it, and will stay here again on my next trip to Manila.

Room Tip: The higher floors of the Tower Wing have nice views of the city.
Dear Scooby575,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience at Edsa Shangri-La, Manila.

We are extremely delighted that you felt at home in our hotel. We are very happy to know that your two-week stay was comfortable and enjoyable. Thank you also for mentioning your various interactions with our staff. I will be more than happy to share this with the team.

We take our guests' comments very seriously. We shall let our Food and Beverage Department know of your experience at the Pool Bar to better serve all our guests.

Your feedback is encouraging as we strive to provide our guests a memorable experience. On behalf of the rest of my team, I look forward to your next stay at the hotel so we can once again give you our warm welcome.

Guam, Mariana Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Just what you would expect from Shangri-La. Impeccable service, food, and suite. An oasis in the city! Gardens, pool, lobby. Was given a beautifully renovated room on the 16th floor that was absolutely beautiful. Its always a treat to stay at Shang..

Room Tip: request a rennovated room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, Usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

the best hotel so far in my travel worldwide in terms of service, comfort, amenities and convenience. I came to Philippinnes to conduct business and visit friends and families and im very glad I stayed in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
Marco Polo Ortigas Manila
#4 of 82 in Makati
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,970 reviews
New World Makati Hotel
Oakwood Premier Joy - Nostalg Center Manila

Been to Edsa Shangri-La? Share your experiences!