“Good location, emphasis on safety and security”
Review of Edsa Shangri-La

Edsa Shangri-La
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Tumon, Mariana Islands
“Good location, emphasis on safety and security”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in May when the hotel was at maximum occupancy. Though they were fully booked, the staff was exceptional and always apologetic for the slightly delayed response time with front desk/housekeeping requests.

Housekeeping cleaned my room up to 3 times per day, leaving fresh fruit in my room at least once a day.

The hotel is about a minute walk away from the SM Mega Mall, 10 min taxi ride away from the budget-friendly shopping area Green Hill, and only about 20 min taxi ride to the SM Mall of Asia. When hailing a cab at the hotel, the bellman take down notes of your cab, ie license plate, company name, etc., for security purposes. In Manila, many cabbies take advantage of foreignors and end up screwing with the meter and the rates, but when Shangrila hails the cab for you, cab fares tend to be at their lowest! It feels as though the hotel takes care of you even when you aren't on property.

Each entrance to the hotel is manned by hotel security with help from large black Labrador Retrievers, who sniff out all boxes and luggage that enter the hotel.

The hotel's Italian restaurant Paparazzi had delicious food, but only a couple of the waiters gave off the warm, hospitable aura.

Overall, I'm already planning my next stay at the Shangrila, and am excited for their new location at Fort Bonifacio in 2015.

Room Tip: Hotel is undergoing renovations; request a room at the 16th floor or higher to avoid hearing 14th fl...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shasta E
Patrick S, General Manager at Edsa Shangri-La, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Shasta E,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Edsa Shangri-La, Manila.

I was delighted to read the details about your stay and your experiences with the front desk, housekeeping, transportation assistance, and our security measures.

Please know that we value your feedback. On behalf of the rest of my team, I look forward to welcoming you in the future to once again delight you.

Patrick Schaub

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed in this resort for 2 weeks on business and it was absolutely magnificent. Your are treated like a queen/king. The place is like a palace, the staff are so professional & friendly, they dress very classy. The rooms are superb, roomy, very clean. The room service staff will even turn your sheets down ready for bedtime. The food is to die for delicious with many well known world wide chefs and so many dishes to chose from. The dessert bar is a dream. I would recommend this place to anyone travelling to Manila. I did see a few famous faces there also. I cannot speak highly enough of this wonder palace.

Room Tip: go to their site and take a look at the rooms available that would be suitable for you.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank sandy H
Reviewed May 29, 2013

stayed here so many times and as always everything is perfect :) Incomparable service. Free Wi-fi. Amazing room. Delicious Food. Friendly and helpful staff. Great location. Would want to live here forever.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank jcbaronhost
Sydney
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed here on business but managed a half day relaxing by the fantastic pool - enjoying the incredible service that Shangri-La has become reknowned for.

The Hoitle and surroiunding arfeas are undergoing an upgrade but the building works are not in any way detracting from the fantastic and great valuie service.

1 Thank LoveTheTropicsSydney
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is the first time I am rather disappointed in staying at a Shangrila Hotel.
Good: Staff were friendly and courteous. Location is good, right next to 2 big malls.

Bad: Was rather annoyed to be given a room that was noisy and near to the renovation despite request at check-in for a quiet room. The minute we got out of the elevator into the room corridor, there was this overwhelming musty smell. I had to smell musty odour throughout my 3 day stay. First day, there was an air purifier placed at the corridor, then it was gone for the next 2 days. I just don't like to be reminded that I am staying in an old hotel daily. Hotel should invest in air management, making the whole place smell pleasant, not just the lobby.

Room is spacious but old, and surprisingly the bathroom is even older and small. Bathroom faucet not working, can't shower until they fixed it. TV is still old and the amenities provided are not consistent. Only 1 bottle of mineral water, 1 bottle of shower gel, 1 shampoo given although I booked the room for 2 pax. Maybe the hotel is full, but again, I don't like to be reminded that I am not a valued guest at your busy hotel. Don't think the hotel is worth staying in until at least, the renovation is done.

1 Thank Mulberry79
Patrick S, General Manager at Edsa Shangri-La, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Mulberry79,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Edsa Shangri-La, Manila. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused. Please know that your comments are all dully noted and reviewed so that we can improve our services. We want you to know that you are very important to us and that we value your feedback. We take our guests' comments seriously.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the hotel to experience a tranquil sanctuary at our Garden Wing rooms and suites or at the newly renovated rooms, which will be ready by the fourth quarter of 2013.

We hope you allow us another opportunity to demonstrate the Shangri-La hospitality you have come to expect in our hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This was my 5th stay in the Philippines and first time at this hotel. When you first walk in the lobby, this place is beautiful and the staff is extremely friendly.. The rooms are very clean and the maid service is exceptional. I generally walk into a hotel with thinking "what's going to be wrong with this place". Other than the expensive mini-bar (still cheaper than comparable hotels), I could find nothing wrong. Pool is amazing and the service there is second to none.. Highly recommended.

1 Thank corylong
Patrick S, General Manager at Edsa Shangri-La, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Corylong,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Edsa Shangri-La, Manila.

I was delighted to read the details about your stay and your experience at the Poolside.

Japan
Reviewed May 14, 2013

A long overdue thank you to Edsa Shangri-la. We stayed here a few weeks ago - security was great, and service, simply impeccable. From the moment we stepped through the doors, the greeters were extremely warm and welcoming, took me straight up to my room to do the check-in right there on an ipad. Room was clean, comfortable and breakfast was such a spread. I think I made 3 rounds the buffet each morning. The connecting malls also made it extremely convenient for some quick shopping and meals. Most importantly, my colleague had a major medical emergency and this being the first time I experience such a thing, I freaked out but the night manager reacted so calmly at 3am, they had an inhouse medical team visit my colleague immediately in her room and within minutes they had their own ambulance take my colleague to the hospital. Their subsequent follow-up was also a very nice touch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank thislittlemmm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
Marco Polo Ortigas Manila
#4 of 82 in Makati
The Legend Villas
The Legend Villas
#2 of 7 in Mandaluyong

Been to Edsa Shangri-La? Share your experiences!