“Excellent service - value my money ( Horizon club room)”
Review of Edsa Shangri-La

Edsa Shangri-La
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mandaluyong
Reviewed April 30, 2013

If I would have the chance to stay even for a night with or without my children I would definite stay here. #1 very accommodating and quick check in. #2 super helpful and friendly people-for all at horizon lounge. #3 value your money, they serve like afternoon tea and cocktail(not sure the exact time), with lots of food and drinks you have the choice of coffee/tea/juices. I compare their rate with another 4-5 star hotel , the other hotel rate is a bit cheaper by 500 and you have the access their lounge but they only give free drinks no food unlike with edsa SHANGRILA hotel, it comes with food.
My children always enjoy their stay beside the fact they enjoy the pool/food, they enjoy also the unlimited wi-fi and very friendly staff.

I never regret having to stay in this hotel over and over again.

Room Tip: Always check their local residence rate,(call the hotel room reservation directly) it's quite ch...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I recently stayed at the Edsa Shangri-La for four nights on a business trip. I chose it because its location was very central to my meetings.

The hotel is not the newest - the Makati Shangri La certainly seems a lot newer and up-to-date - but it is undergoing refurbishment. This of course brings its own problems (construction noise) but there is little that can be done about it and the hotel did everything they could to pre-warn and inform guests. As stated by the hotel, the noise started at 9am and finished at 6pm - personally it made little difference to me as I was out and about during the day anyway....

The room was spacious and comfortable, the bed was very good and comfy, and the service was impeccable - the staff are just so lovely and cannot do enough for you, they anticipate every wish and they made me feel really special.

The outdoor pool is great - it gives the hotel a "resort" feel and is a great place to chill and relax, away from the hustle, bustle and general madness that is Manila and its traffic.

There are several restaurants - I really enjoyed eating in the Italian restaurant and the lobby bar is also very pleasant. The main buffet restaurant - Heat - is huge but still gets so incredibly busy that I found it quite noisy and a bit stressful.

The hotel is hugely popular with families (at least it was during my stay) so there is a lot of noise and people small and large running around. After a long day of business and being on the road, this can get a bit much sometimes. However, the lobby bar and restaurants upstairs are quiter, so there is always the option to get away from the general "busy-ness".

I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Patrick S, General Manager at Edsa Shangri-La, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear TravellerFromBath,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at Edsa Shangri-La, Manila.

We are happy to read your comments about our room, pool, restaurants and our service staff. Your feedback is encouraging as we strive to provide our guests a memorable guest experience. The gradual upgrade of our Tower Wing rooms and suites will be completed by the last quarter of 2013.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best wishes,

Patrick Schaub

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Has my ups and downs. Got room upgrade to corner suite. Nice and spacious. Room service was good. Hot water in shower was below warm and not hot enough even when fully opened. Lovely beds and pillows. Good sleep. Old TVs but I think this will be addressed through renovations. At least they tell you there's day time renovations. Though I heard lots of movement near my room at middle of night. Breakfast is great variety. Lots of international options. The Italian resturant was good too. Gardens and water features and pool created a fantastic beautiful setting in the middle of the concrete city. Service was pleasant. Lots of smiles. Check in was very fast. Their airport transfer are in nice good vehicles. Local taxis not so great so suggest you pay extra and stick to hotel transport. Laundry was very well done. So yeh. Nice stay except for the lack of hot water.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The Esda is reasonably priced and comfortable. I've stayed at the Shangri-la in New Delhi several times, and the Esda doesn't quite compare, but the Esda is also around a third of the price, so it probably tracks OK. The rooms seem a bit worn at the edges for the Shangri-La luxury billing, but there's nothing objectable by any stretch. The breakfast is that nice mix of world cuisine, if a bit chaotic/disorganized and loud. The rooms have comfortable beds, reliable high-speed internet, and is reasonably appointed. The gym is great. There are several cardio machines and hasn't been overcrowded, there's a reasonable variety of other equipment as well, and the staff are lovely. I guess they also hold classes there, but there's construction at the moment, so it's suspended. I've heard that the hotel has a "club" option for locals and that the weekend population explodes at the weekend as a result making relaxation by the pool far less likely. But since I'm on business, this isn't a huge concern for me.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2013

When I first arrived in Manila and saw Edsa Shangri-La from the outside, to be honest I was impressed, but all that changed once I got out of the car at the main entrance. As soon as you step onto their doorstep the quality of service is the best I have experienced so far!

It looks run down from the outside but inside it looked magnificent. The rooms were well looked after and spacious, occasionally I would get a door knock from a staff member to see if everything was ok. Room service was very quick and delicious, the breakfast buffet is amazing. I actually left my cosmetics bag in my room and only remembered it 2 days after check out, I returned to the hotel and they had it waiting for me, I could not appreciate more the service they gave me.

The bathroom I must mention as it's the only hotel I have not experienced water running onto the floors, the mirror is heated and there are speakers in the bathroom from the TV.

The only issue I have with this hotel is getting a taxi, I waited about 20 minutes to get a taxi from the hotel. From there on in I just walked over to SM and joined the taxi line.

This hotel is a very busy one, there are people everywhere. Despite being busy the service was great and I never had to wait for an elevator.

The hotel is a short walking distance to SM Mega Mall, it was very convient for shopping and dining. There were also many bars and restaurants nearby.

I would recommend this hotel if budget permits!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I am a frequent guest & member of Shangri-La's Golden Circle Club. Of all the Shangri-La hotels in the Philippines, EDSA Shangri-la is probably our most frequently visited. Breakfast at its HEAT (Healthy Eating, Amazing Taste) Restaurant is one of the best in the Philippines.Over so many years we've noticed the rooms have frequently changed physical looks & amenities, you won't get bored & tired of the same looks like many other 5 star hotels we've been to.

The hotel is strategically located near all major shopping, eating, transportation, & business centers of Metro Manila. This is one of our favorite local hotels . Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Choose a room above the 13th floor to experience their newly-renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bobiguzman
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The Edsa is where to stay in Manila. I have stayed there twice and each time was for over a week period. The service is outstanding. Here are a few examples:
- The breakfast is the best I have ever seen, The selections are great.
- Security is very tight and professional. Once I walked around the outside of the building and they followed me by sight to make sure I was safe.
- I was working nights at a call center, so I was placed on a special floor so I was able to sleep during the day.
- The pool staff was extremely helpful with towels, life guards, and food/beverages. Plus the pool is beautiful.
- Check in was simple and easy with new ipads.

The location is great as you have a choice of the Shangri-la mall or the Mega Mall. Both are safe and just across the street.

Eat night prior to going to work, I ate a pretzel for 90 pesos from the bakery. Great snack before going to work.

I really cant say enough about the staff. They are all so helpful and they address every need you have.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rfols_indy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaluyong
Marco Polo Ortigas Manila
Makati Shangri-La Manila
Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila
Discovery Suites Manila, Philippines
The Peninsula Manila
The Peninsula Manila
#6 of 86 in Makati
New World Makati Hotel

Been to Edsa Shangri-La? Share your experiences!